x-pipe or h-pipe

biohawk1

Established Member
Sorry if this has been done before.
Is there a difference in performance between an x-pipe and h-pipe or is it just a sound diff?
Ive got flows on my 01 bullitt with an h-pipe, trying to decide if the x-pipe is better.

Last edited:

NightRyder

Established Member
Traditionally a majority of people will say that an h pipe sounds much better with flows. It sounds good with an h pipe and deep. I have flows on my 2V but I decided to go with an x pipe and I think it has the perfect sound for me. If you go with and x pipe/flows setup I would pick a quality made x pipe like bassani vs a less quality made pipe like bbk. You will spend a little more but it will sound much cleaner and better IMO. Good luck with your choice.

Andrew03Mach

Established Member
Performance differences would be minimal. X pipes tend to produce more rasp and pop in an exhaust. If you like that sort of sound, then get an X. If you don't want rasp, keep the H. I have a o/r H and flows on my Mach and wouldn't trade for anything. Sounds perfect to me.

Turkey_Lurker03

Established Member
I did everything backwards. First I did a Mac 0/r prochamber, hard to describe but sound like a dull rasp under full throttle. Once I added the Mac cat back it sounded sweet . Had a deep muscle car tone and wasn't too obnoxious. Then I went with bbk long tubes and a shorty o/r h with the same Mac cat back and it sounds mean and pissed off. It's a little aggressive for dd use but haven't gotten tired off it I'm over 5 years. Go h pipe!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I went pro chamber with flows. Sounds great. Not the loudest setup but not quiet either. You may see 1-2 hp difference between them but you would never miss it. Just go with whatever sound you like best.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Prochamber and SLP loudmouth 1's here. The prochamber helped take the unwanted cackle out of the lm1's.

Any difference in performance between mid pipes is so small it will never be noticeable. Go for what you think will sound the best.

TaraFirma

Established Member
On high horsepower cars, the X will give a small HP gain. NASCAR cars all run X-pipes. They squeeze every last HP they can out of them. There is a reason for everything on them.

JustinG60

Terminatorless : (
Established Member
On high horsepower cars, the X will give a small HP gain. NASCAR cars all run X-pipes. They squeeze every last HP they can out of them. There is a reason for everything on them.

yeh, speaking from an engineering standpoint (which i am not, just did some research on this myself recently) it has been said that an X pipe has the potential to produce more power, typically top end. I have read that an H pipe can be better than an X pipe on lower HP vehicles. how low, i don't know but i think a 2v falls into that catagory. I personally plan to order an SLP LM1 and MAC long tubes for my car tomorrow after a good thorough inspection upon picking it up. was hoping to hear some more input when i read through, it seems we all have read the same info.

i like popping but i don't care for rasp. what to do, what to do? haha (not thread jacking haha)

PC03GT

Established Member
Bassani X pipe, you won't regret it. I had the same setup on my 03 gt , it had a great sound

Three21

Established Member
Like everyone has said unless you're trying to change your sound, it's not worth the swap. I have a Bassani high flow catted X pipe and Bassani cat-back. It's all personal preference, but I've never heard any other combo that makes me think "I'd rather have that sound." Nice idle, little to no drone at highway speeds, nice and clean in upper RPMs, no raspiness or that weird throaty cackle sound.

That being said I'm going turbo soon so sadly the chambered mufflers and the X-pipe will all likely be going away.

nxhappy

Established Member
gains between them will be minimal . the H will have more of a muscle car sound. X is more raspy. I prefer the H, JMO

Users who are viewing this thread