X-Pipe on New Edge - how hard is it really?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I'm thinking of putting an x-pipe on the car and have done some reading in the past that indicates its hard as hell to reach/remove the header to pipe bolts. Ive installed and removed the one on my 5.0 a million times but havent even gotten a good look under the cobra, except when i did the catback awhile ago.

I wish a company would just make a crossover pipe that had removable cats and straight pipes to make it easier to swap for emissions testing

Eric

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
It's actually pretty easy. I have had to remove mine multiple times to replace the gasket on the passenger side. All of this on my back under the car while it's on ramps.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
sur real - you have pretty much the same setup as me, have you messed with the timing and A/F since you pulled those numbers? I need to get mine on the dyno and lean it out for sure.

Didn't know that the new edges used gaskets - are the stock ones good or should i invest in some dead-soft aluminum or something better?

Eric

01rdcobra

Established Member
SLP and Bassani both sell x-pipes that you can go from catted to off road. The passenger side collector uses a gasket. Its not that hard to do but you are going to need some good extensions to do the passenger side, the driver side is the easiest

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
sounds cool - my last question to you guys was there a SOTP difference? I know when I did the the headers and full exhaust on my 5.0 it made a noticeable gain (not the same as doing the H/C/I) that I could feel. I don't think I'll ever attempt headers on this car (unless THOSE too are almost as easy as a fox) so does the x-pipe by itself have an improvement over the stock h-pipe?

Like I stated, I have a JLT CAI and FR500 catback already, and I know it needs a tune, so will there be a gain worthwhile for the time and money spent, in your opinion? I've got the xcal 2, which was worth every penny so far :)

Eric

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
99cobraR said:
My o/r x pipe made a pretty decent SOTP difference, or at least it sounded faster :)

+1 i thought it was the best upgrade for an N/A car..next to gears.

but i had trouble keeping a gasket in the passenger side.
use a stock gasket and make sure it faces up good before you tighten the bolts all the way on that side and you should be good.

also im selling a UPR off road X right now in the market if your looking for a cheaper one.

J

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i know some will say it's harder this way, but i just removed the starter to do mine. it frees up a lot of room on the passenger side. a lot less frustrating imo. i actually just put in a catted upr x-pipe about a week ago. i noticed a HUGE difference(i was on the stocker w/ my current setup)! i am getting it retuned in about a week for my new fuel pump setup and midpipe, so we'll see how much i gained from the midpipe...

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
99riocobra said:
i know some will say it's harder this way, but i just removed the starter to do mine. it frees up a lot of room on the passenger side. a lot less frustrating imo.
I can see doing it that way, that would really save you some cussing if your doing it in your garage on the floor.
cause you kinda have to angle it up in there and if you dont have your car high enough in the air it makes it a pain.

J

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
DuffManRHA said:
sur real - you have pretty much the same setup as me, have you messed with the timing and A/F since you pulled those numbers? I need to get mine on the dyno and lean it out for sure.

Didn't know that the new edges used gaskets - are the stock ones good or should i invest in some dead-soft aluminum or something better?

Eric

I did a tune after I got my gears. It wasn't a dyno tune, but it was a custom tune from the shop that did my gears. As far as the gasket, you will need a gasket for the passenger side. The driver side doesn't need a gasket. I did the O/R xpipe before the FR500 and I lost a lot of low end torque. But, once I got the FR500 bolted up, man, she came to life. But, with all of your exhaust and intake, I am sure it leaned out a little.

Good luck.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Sur real1 - I get paid on Friday so I'll make sure all the bills are paid and then slip some money out from the girlfriend's nose :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but its the same x-pipe that works on 99-04 GT and Cobra for all the manufacturers?

Eric

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
The offroad xpipe I put on mine was used from an 03 Mach1. I dunno bout the GT's, but being that the front part of the xpipe is adjustable, you should be ok.

dreadedboost180

Run what ya brung.
Established Member
Just did a O/R x pipe, felt a difference over the catted x pipe that was in there already. Taking the starter out helped tons for the pass side. Picked up alot of sound from it. I love it with a magnaflow catback. Plenty of un-corked sounds to enjoy.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
x2 to rio about removing the starter...there is plenty of room on the drivers side, but the passenger side can be kind of tight...plus once you do it a couple times, you can have the starter out and back in in less than 30 minutes...

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
not bad

I didn't think it was super difficult, just time consuming. I did mine on ramps by myself.

Honestly I think the hardest part for me was unhooking the O2 sensors, those things are hard to get to even with a long screwdriver. :cuss:

Fishing the passenger side flange out from along side the starter is tough too, you have to turn the stock H just so to let slide thru...or remove the starter as some have already said.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread