X-pipe and failed Smog on 03 Cobra

CobraChick03

Established Member
I have a 2003 Cobra 10th Anv. Ed. and I had a Magnaflow X-pipe installed on it a couple of days after I bought the car (I still have the stock one in my garage). I noticed it always ran a bit rich, but never really thought much of it. Went to get it smoged 5 years later and now car wont pass. The smog tech said it was due to needing a tune-up, highly doubt it since I just had it serviced less then 500 miles ago with doing a fuel filter and car has 53k miles on it. Think it might be the x-pipe? or should I put new plugs in and try then? Anyone else have this type of experience with the x-pipe and failed smog?

baginoman

Mind over Matter
Established Member
do u still have the stock H? Ifso i would slap that back on for smog. But is your x catted?

T.O.Snake

Established Member
do u still have the stock H? Ifso i would slap that back on for smog. But is your x catted?

Don't do this.

I went through the EXACT same thing as you a month ago......we're even running the same magnaflow catted-X. Swapped back to the stock H and actually did WORSE on the next etest. Dialed back the tune, and was much better, but STILL failed.

Turns out it was the EGR valve that was "gummed up", because most aftermarket tunes keep it closed. Had the shop clean it (and change to new plugs, since mine were due), and lo and behold - pass.

For the record, I easily passed every parameter of the etest each time. The only area I was failing was Nitrogen Oxides (NOx), which I was basically tripling.

Gotta throw my magnaflow x back on there soon, cause the car is too quiet now :-D

CobraChick03

Established Member
OK here are is what my emission paper states. It says all cats and 02 working, etc.

High level with the HC (PPM) at 15mph and 25mph and that is where I failed.

Users who are viewing this thread