X-Brace

Jroc

Established Member
I can has it.

21qtd3.jpg

7281fd.jpg

290ri1k.jpg

wmilaa.jpg

If you look close enough you'll see that I can also has a new shiny 4wd tranny pan which means I can also has a new Punish VB.

Installing all this stuff with the truck sitting like this is a real PITA. I also noticed that a new coat of wax and a ton of pollen in the air makes a black vehicle look green. You can even see pollen on the camera lense.

2ahdu21.jpg

Jroc

Established Member
Now I'm going to go drive it and see how well it works. :banana:

Jroc

Established Member
Who makes that and where do I get one? It looks sweet btw!!

Stifflers.

You can also get a driveshaft loop to fit it, and all a long bar setup to integrate with it. It very quality and effective products. If you want to use longbars with the X-Brace then you have to use the Stifflers longbars, but that's not a big deal as many think they are the best on the market anyways.
1999 to 2004 Ford Lightning

I bought my X-Brace from LMR. They have the best prices I could find + free shipping and they're a sponsor on here. There's also a SVTP discount code.(Terminator)

X-Brace.
Ford Lightning Lower Chassis Brace (99-04)

Longbars.
Ford Lightning Traction Bar (99-04)

Driveshaft loop that integrates into the X-Brace.
Ford Lightning Driveshaft Loop (99-04)

Jroc

Established Member
How does the truck drive after your X BRACE installation ?

Extremely nice.

It very much simulates on a L what FLSFC's do on a Foxbody/SN95 chassis.

My truck just stays very flat with the X-Brace and my Hellwig anti-swaybars.

It's an excellent mod, that you defiantly will notice big time.

Jroc

Established Member
Looks great! How's the ride now?

Extremely nice. It make the truck feel newer, or I guess more modern. Kind of like the next generation. You don't realize just how loose the stock chassis is over bumps, and dips until you install this thing. Everything just stays much flatter and feels more solid. Kind of like going from a 97-03 F150 to a 04+ F150, or going from a SN95 Mustang to a S197 Mustang. If you read Tim Skeltons thread on the old Kenny Brown X-Factor which this brace is designed after you can see in his first picture just how much the chassis actually twists and moves by looking at the bed in relation to the cab. It also talks about how the brace actually braces exactly where Ford added extra bracing on the newer/current chassis F150.(Obviously they are fully boxed chassis though)
Kenny Brown X-Factor

Like I said it's very similar to the improvement a FLSFC gives to a old 79-04 Mustang. Everything is improved from the handling, to the ride, to launching better, and being more composed during braking. It seems like with this brace I'm getting a lot less brake dive and body roll in hard cornering.

I'm very impressed with it.

Bonestk87

Established Member
Thanks for the reply on where you bought it. I guess the longbars are better than Caltracs?

It looks good! This will be on my list to buy for sure.

Jroc

Established Member
Did you have to drill? How bad was the install?

You have to drill one hole. The hole in the first picture that's closest to the exhaust tips.

The install is pretty easy, but like when installing SFC's on a Mustang you have to install it with the vehicles weight loading the suspension so working on your back is kind of aggravating unless you're using a muffler shop lift.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Based on the pics:
It looks like this brace won't fit if you have the Bassani dual-muffler system....
The "inner" Bassani muffler closest to the drive-shaft is lower than the truck main frame rail by an inch or so....
OR is it possible to use longer bolts w/ washers in the rear portion to "lower it" a bit more to clear the my mufflers?

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Based on the pics:
It looks like this brace won't fit if you have the Bassani dual-muffler system....
The "inner" Bassani muffler closest to the drive-shaft is lower than the truck main frame rail by an inch or so....
OR is it possible to use longer bolts w/ washers in the rear portion to "lower it" a bit more to clear the my mufflers?

This is what you need if your muffler is too low.
Ford F-150 Exhaust Clearance Kit 1997-2004

Most people were having problems with the older style brace hitting the tailpipes of certain exhaust.(CompR for example) That is why the newer bracer doesn't go all the way back to the tailpipes on the drivers side. I didn't like this as my exhaust has plenty of clearance for the old design, and I talked with Brain and he had some of the old style passenger side bars sitting around, and he sold me one. I installed it yesterday. The old style connects on the passenger side the same way it does on the drivers side using existing holes in the frame that extends farther back, and ties into the front leaf spring mount.

Here's a picture I took comparing the two. The old style being the longer bar that extends farther back, and the new style being the shorter bar which doesn't interfere with any aftermarket tailpipes.
2nlqn7o.jpg

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have the old Kenny Brown X-Factor brace on my truck and it made a huge difference. I would highly suggest anyone with an L call up LMW and get the Stifflers brace.

Users who are viewing this thread