X and H Pipes

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
\I'm getting ready to order some exhaust for the 03 Cobra in which I'm thinking of going with a VRS o/r X-pipe but wanted to know something first. What is the difference between an H-pipe and X-pipe? I think I remember reading somewhere that an H-pipe would sound deeper than the X. . . .is that right? Which one is better for the car? I assume the X?????

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
Typically they say the H will be deeper, the X will add more power and be a little on the raspy side. I've always had H's in the past but my car came with a Bassani cat-back so I went with the UPR off road X, similar to the VRS, and absolutely love the way it sounds.

If you plan on going MAC or Flows, go with an H...almost anything else go with the X.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
SCcobra4me said:
Typically they say the H will be deeper, the X will add more power and be a little on the raspy side. I've always had H's in the past but my car came with a Bassani cat-back so I went with the UPR off road X, similar to the VRS, and absolutely love the way it sounds.

If you plan on going MAC or Flows, go with an H...almost anything else go with the X.

I believe that is what I'm going to go with. After several people suggested it (including you) I guess that is the best route for me to take. Thanks for your input.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
So what are you thinking for a set up? I had a Bassani C/B and Bassani off road X and it was RASPY, alittle too much for me. With the cats on it sounded awsome tho... Now with the Kooks and a catted X it sounds proper style-LOL

Camaro99SS

Established Member
An X will sound good with flowmasters and no cats. It will sound more exotic, but I wouldn't consider distasteful. Stingers, a Mac, and a Loudmout sound like crap with an ORX. Do a search on exhaust sounds. There's a guy with an ORX and flowmasters on his Terminator and it sounds great.

Jason

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
ugotbit03 said:
So what are you thinking for a set up? I had a Bassani C/B and Bassani off road X and it was RASPY, alittle too much for me. With the cats on it sounded awsome tho... Now with the Kooks and a catted X it sounds proper style-LOL

Well the setup I'm going with now will just be the mid pipe and the CB. I heard that the L/T's would hurt my boost since the car is bone stock and so the L/T's aren't needed at this time. So I was thinking of going with the MAC O/R H-pipe and the MAC 3" SS CB. I will just put some L/T's (or mid pipes) on the car later on down the road if I ever up the ante. If I don't I may just add some equal lengths or something like that (not sure how helpful that is, haven't really looked into those that much). So we will see, I am for sure going with the mid pipe and CB. I just need to figure out where I'm going to order it from and whether or not I'm going to put it on myself or have someone else do it (never installed exhaust before; had someone else do it when I had the exhaust put on my 94 GT). I'm sure I could install it but I'm a perfectionist and it most likely take forever. . . .that is if I can figure out what I am doing under there.

And yea, I bet your car sounds badass with the Kooks headers on there.

Also you guys are right, the exhaust I plan on going with would be best with a H. I like that deep and loud sound that MAC setup gives. It sounded great on my GT so hopefully it will sound great on the Cobra.

Last edited:

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
First thing, boost is a measurement of restriction in the intake manifold. Thats it. If your boost drops with instalation of L/T's this means the motor is running more efficent(sp). Where the big gains come in is when you put the boost back in. I say this, if you do go with headers do L/T's otherwise dont bother.The stock logs have been on some bad ass rides(550+HP) so they are not the first mod I would do. MRT-H or a Prochamber would sound BAD ASS with a Mac C/B. Keep us posted, and I told you before Lethal rocks and will get you hooked up.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Yea as you can tell I'm still learning about a great deal of stuff and that is why it is taking me so long to pull the trigger on the exhaust order heh. After listening to the VRS again, I can't make up my mind on the mid pipe. I want it loud, something like these two. . . .

http://media.putfile.com/SVTMM_Both_runs

Here is the VRS o/r X w/ 3"MAC CB. . .

http://www.automotiveadrenaline.com/gonein10secs.wmv

Now would you happen to have a clip of the MRT H with a 3" MAC CB? I will try and find one on here.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Do do the Slowmaster either. I just took them off my 04 and put Borla Stingers on. Flowmasters sounded stock and its the 2nd pair that came with two of the cars I have bought and replaced with Borlas. Very happy with my Bassani catted x-Shane

th_BorlaInstall.gif

Users who are viewing this thread