WTT: H&R springs for stock or less aggressive springs

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
Prefer local only

Springs are on my recently purchased 03 Cobra

Looks like the model number from H&R is 51659. Good for 99-04 Cobras with IRS. 1.5" drop front and rear. I'm not sure if they've settled quite a bit, or if these cars or just that low, but it's too low for my taste. Receipt shows they were purchased 2/15/08 by the previous owner of the car and it looks like there has been roughly 16k miles put on them at this point.

Would probably prefer to go back to stock springs.

Post up what you got and we can go from there.

Last edited:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
do you have a SRA? if so i have some stock springs ill gladly send to you then you could send me the H&R's

whippleblown03

Established Member
I got a set of eibach pro kit springs for the front drops it almost 1" in front. only in 4000 miles went coil over. We exchanged emails about my cobra the 03 with 6700 miles now lol . Just got the fronts only.

Last edited:

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
do you have a SRA? if so i have some stock springs ill gladly send to you then you could send me the H&R's

Nope, still IRS

got a stock springs from my vert but don't know if it will fit on a coupe.

When I was searching for info on the springs I have now it looked like they were the same since the part number was listed for both Verts and Coupes. Not 100% sure though. I'm a n00b to the Cobra world.

I got a set of eibach pro kit springs for the front drops it almost 1" in front. only in 4000 miles went coil over. We exchanged emails about my cobra the 03 with 6700 miles now lol . Just got the fronts only.

I need all 4 corners. Thanks though.

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
Updated the first post with the model number and specs of the springs.

H&R model # 51659. Good for 99-04 IRS Cobras. Claimed 1.5" drop front/rear.

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
Here's a n00b question, but if the previous owner didn't upgrade the spring isolators would that affect my ride height at this point? I've found a few Google links that advise that the use of stock iso's with lowering springs can drop the car further than anticipated.

Perhaps I just need to get some aftermarket iso's and that would solve my issues?

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
Here's a n00b question, but if the previous owner didn't upgrade the spring isolators would that affect my ride height at this point? I've found a few Google links that advise that the use of stock iso's with lowering springs can drop the car further than anticipated.

Perhaps I just need to get some aftermarket iso's and that would solve my issues?

What are you trying to accomplish? Higher or lower than your current ride height? Post doesn't really clarify.....

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Hes trying to raise it up.

I've got Steeda springs, but they will probably be comparable to the H&Rs...

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
I need it up a bit. It's way too low currently.

I don't think the springs are the culprit though. All the info I've found shows that the stock spring isolators should be replaced when installing aftermarket springs. I even found a parts site that flat out says it's quote of 1.5" drop with the springs I've got is only accurate if upgraded aftermarket spring iso's are used.

Anyone have a recommendation of which ones to use? I've also read that different brands of iso's equal different ride height/stance.

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
I've ordered polyurethane spring isolators from StangSuspension.com. Having them overnighted, and then I should be having TurboTech in Tacoma install them early Wednesday morning.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then I'll be back on the market to trade these springs for something with less of a drop, but I believe the problem will be solved.

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
I've ordered polyurethane spring isolators from StangSuspension.com. Having them overnighted, and then I should be having TurboTech in Tacoma install them early Wednesday morning.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then I'll be back on the market to trade these springs for something with less of a drop, but I believe the problem will be solved.

Thanks for the clarification, expect ~3/8th of an inch up with the poly ISO's..... in the future as well, if your down south, hit up Tranzit Motorsports for parts like you just overnighted. He keeps alot of stuff like that in stock so you can save shipping and support a local business. :)

Keep us posted.

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
Thanks for the clarification, expect ~3/8th of an inch up with the poly ISO's..... in the future as well, if your down south, hit up Tranzit Motorsports for parts like you just overnighted. He keeps alot of stuff like that in stock so you can save shipping and support a local business. :)

Keep us posted.

Funny you mention Tranzit. I did hit them up before calling StangSuspension.com. It would appear they've closed their retail operation. There is a note on the door advising they will be doing more wholesale work and the owner's email was listed. Not sure when all that went down. I'm all about supporting local businesses.

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
No need to trade guys. Thanks for the offers though.

I threw some MM iso's in the rear and some Prothane iso's in the front. Haven't scraped or bottomed out since and the car handles quite a bit better. The ride height went up a very small amount, but it still has a very good stance.

Users who are viewing this thread