Wtf

jbentley

Established Member
Okay so i just put a new alternator in my car this morning and it ran fine. I just took it into town to get dinner and guess what it stopped running AGAIN. The battery light came on then the ABS light and it started to cut out on me again. I drove it as far as it would go and i think that might of been a bad idea. Right before it died i looked down and NO gauges were working. It died and i went to start it and it just clicked. Im guessing my alternator went out again but i just put it in at 9am. So anyone know what is going on?

Thanks Jeremiah

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Any mods? Lower pulley? Did you check to see what it was charging at before you drove the car?

jbentley

Established Member
has exhaust and k&n filter and no i did not see what it charged at guess i will get a new one and check to see what the old one and the new one puts out lol. Thank god for lifetime warrenty

wpbblk03cobra

Established Member
I went through 4 oem ford alts, before I finally got one that worked. Check voltage, but more then likely the new alt u put in is shit. Goodluck!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
what kind of alternator??? ford or aftermarket?

Thank god for lifetime warrenty

There's your answer...:rollseyes

The life time warranty is because they are JUNK!

Most aftermarket "lifetime" warranty alternators total pieces of CRAP!!!

That's the only way they can sell them, is to warranty them for life.

Eventually you will get sick, and tired, of replacing them.:bored:

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
did u charge your battery b4 u put your new alt. on. lot of people forget to do that? its a must most the time if you had a low battery and stuck a brand new alt on the alt has to work overtime to recharge the bat. and 5 times out of 10 will burn up. and the probs u were having is all symptoms of bad alt. use your lifetime warr. and recharge your bat. should be good to go.

jbentley

Established Member
I guess ill take the battery out and charge it. I have a optima battery in it should just get a new one lol

wpbblk03cobra

Established Member
I guess ill take the battery out and charge it. I have a optima battery in it should just get a new one lol

Have the battery at full charge. Get the new alt. If no batt light comes on your good to go. Optima is very expensive, no need for a new one unless needed. :beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
did u charge your battery b4 u put your new alt. on. lot of people forget to do that? its a must most the time if you had a low battery and stuck a brand new alt on the alt has to work overtime to recharge the bat. and 5 times out of 10 will burn up. and the probs u were having is all symptoms of bad alt. use your lifetime warr. and recharge your bat. should be good to go.

AWESOME POST!!!

SOOOO SO true! The highest quality alt in the world can burn out trying to charge up a dead battery!

They are NOT designed for that, they are designed to refresh a slightly discharged battery from a start event and then maintain the charge while power is pulled out by different things while driving your car.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Hate to break it to ya man, the lifetime warranty alts from Oreilleys, advance, etc...are crap...
Go with a Ford Reman, is your best bet!

jbentley

Established Member
well i dropped the battery off to get charged and a new alternator will be in on wed. if this one dont work im going to look into the Jamie's Start 'N Charge

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
By far, the best alternator (superior to the Ford OEM) is Jamie's Start 'N Charge. Go here to see a pic of the Start 'N Charge and for contact info (bottom of page). Stang Shifter Gaskets

My replacement OE is still charging but when(not if) it goes I am getting a start-n-charge for sure.:rockon:
I am currently rocking a 3.2 Metco alt pulley with my stock lower though.;-)

Users who are viewing this thread