WTF Traction Control Won't Turn Off

forced03

Established Member
It has been raining pretty good today. After dinner I go to drive home and when I try to turn the TC off nothing happens. Also, my ((ABS)) light is on- I don't think it is usually on. There isn't a "its too wet out and you can't turn off the TC" sensor is there? I shut it down and restarted and same thing.

8UR VETT

Established Member
This same thing happened to me a few times when i had my 01 gt. Both times it was my abs sensor to my left rear tire. Dealer fixed it no problem.

forced03

Established Member
Am I O.K. to drive like this? I am supposed to leave early Sat. morning for a 6 hour road trip. I won't be able to fix it before hand.

davidmax

Established Member
The abs and traction control are interlinked as it is a inferior design.GM does excell in this area borrowing from Bosch's year old technology which Beema,Porsche etc... saw fit a generation ago.
Obsoulete no updated yes but not in America.The Ford system was designed by AZ. Snake after a major Beer Bong party back in July of 88'.Ford CALL BOSCH!! Dave S.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by forced03
Am I O.K. to drive like this? I am supposed to leave early Sat. morning for a 6 hour road trip. I won't be able to fix it before hand.
I wouldn't drive mine like that especially with all this rain we're getting and more is supposed to be on the way.

derryck

Established Member
That happens to mine every time I come off the dyno... I take a spin around the parking lot and both lights go off.

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Originally posted by derryck
That happens to mine every time I come off the dyno... I take a spin around the parking lot and both lights go off.

That's what I was going to say. If you spun a fair amount before parking then the ABS sensors/TC just need a few miles to work things out again.

I also had this sympton when I used to take my 99 to the Dyno.

forced03

Established Member
Looked like it fixed itself- everything was fine this morning on the way to work. Then I drove to lunch after it had been raining and the same thing happened. The ((abs)) light came on when I was at a stop light and wouldn't go away. No wheel spin at all. I guess the car is pissed I'm driving it in the rain

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by forced03
Looked like it fixed itself- everything was fine this morning on the way to work. Then I drove to lunch after it had been raining and the same thing happened. The ((abs)) light came on when I was at a stop light and wouldn't go away. No wheel spin at all. I guess the car is pissed I'm driving it in the rain
But what caused the ABS light to come on? Did you do some burnouts or go to the dyno? You can check the codes using your odometer function thing. Hold in the trip meter button and then start your car.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
My moneys on a bad wheel spd sensor, if it gets real annoying just disconnect the ABS module. Had the same problem on my '94, an intermittant ABS light, unfortunately warranty was waaayy gone. You on the other hand still have one so use it. Eventually you might start to notice your brakes pulsing from a false ABS signal. That's not fun so get it to the dealer soon.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by davidmax
The abs and traction control are interlinked as it is a inferior design.GM does excell in this area borrowing from Bosch's year old technology which Beema,Porsche etc... saw fit a generation ago.

OK, I follow you so far...

Obsoulete no updated yes but not in America.The Ford system was designed by AZ. Snake after a major Beer Bong party back in July of 88'.Ford CALL BOSCH!! Dave S.

Allright, ya lost me on this one... Can we get a translator in here please!:D

U.M.

forced03

Established Member
I don't know whats causing it. No burnouts or anything. Started my car after work and everything looked good. Drove about a 1/2 mile and the abs light came on and the traction control button becomes locked. It is actually locking it in the off position (light on)not the on position as I had originally stated. The only constant has been the really wet weather.

I am driving from the Bay Area to Santa Barbara tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be a problem. I can get it looked into down there I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread