Wtf??? Look At This

THEWOODKING

check this out, was driving home today from school and rolled up to a stop light and my car started missing really bad and back firing, pulled over with it running and noticed there was a puff puff puff sound coming from under the coil covers, got home pulled it off and this is what i found......plug came out..
P1010673.jpg

what would cause this besides not being tight enough???

i check the threads on the plug and they are only bad where u can tell it had been going up and down and hitting the first thread and rolled it a lil...

i already bought a new plug and cop and when putting the plug in i noticed from the plug bouncing up and down the new plug wont go in, what should i do and how?? i know not to force the plug and all due to stripping the head but how would i fix this?? i am almost positive from the looks of the old plug that only the first thread in the head has any damage....thanks

THEWOODKING

notice there is no gap on the plug either?? thats from the plug jumping up and down from the compression, check this out, when i had pulled over to check it out i noticed that the compression was so intense that it was actually flexing the coil cover...thats strong

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Do some searching, there is a tool that will slip into the chamber and clean re-thread it from the inside out. If that doesn't help, then you will have to have the head pulled and heli-coiled.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
hmm im going to re-torque my plugs before i go anywhere...

good luck man, check the lighting forum for info on fixed stripped heads... they have that problem and ford will fix it.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
Same sh*t happened to me with my old 2 valve. I had a guy that was really sharp with this actually heil-coil mine with the head still on. Are heads only have 4 threads while the 03-04's have 8 threads. Sucks man but its very common. Mine blew out on my 2 valve which was a boosted car and blew the coil in a bunch of peices and the plug hit the hood of my car!!! lol

THEWOODKING

ok ill try to search it but i dont have the time space or tools to do it so i might just take to ford and have them do it so if it does it again i can blame their work for saying they fixed it ......

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Do some searching, there is a tool that will slip into the chamber and clean re-thread it from the inside out. If that doesn't help, then you will have to have the head pulled and heli-coiled.

I think what you're referring to is called a "tap cert" or something close.

Sucks that Ford has this problem w/ their aluminum heads. I heard it was really bad on the 4.6 Crown Vics for a while! :nonono:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
some strange info in this thread.

If you just want to try cleaning the threads up, you need a tap with a LONG neck. I believe they are out there. You will need an absolutely ton of heavy grease though to keep the shavings out of the cylinder.

To do a repair, you can use whats called a time-sert, which will actually be stronger than the original threads if done properly. Depending on the cylinder, it is very likely that it can be done with the heads on, but that has risks as well (mainly getting everything straight, and avoiding metal in the cylinder).

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,T56,solid
Established Member
some strange info in this thread.

If you just want to try cleaning the threads up, you need a tap with a LONG neck. I believe they are out there. You will need an absolutely ton of heavy grease though to keep the shavings out of the cylinder.

To do a repair, you can use whats called a time-sert, which will actually be stronger than the original threads if done properly. Depending on the cylinder, it is very likely that it can be done with the heads on, but that has risks as well (mainly getting everything straight, and avoiding metal in the cylinder).

Thats the word I was looking for... I put a "time sert" in my car.... Worked awesome :rockon:

Some people say that if you put one time sert in you should do all of them. Cause they are stronger than stock. IDK though I just did one on mine and never had an issue with it again.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I believe the reasoning for doing all of them when you do one, is that the steel threads can affect the heat range of the plug.

THEWOODKING

i just talked to ford and they said automatically that they woudl have to replace the head lol and i was like why cant u just tap it? ill almost positive its only the first thread as there was nothing wrong with the spark plug thread only the first thread was messed up due to bouncing up and down, and he said they might be able to do " this new exceptional process that ford just came out with that uses a newly designed tool from ford that taps the threads from inside out, it will cost about half the price of the head (head 2800 lol) which is about 1400" wtf??? 1400 to tap the threads??? why does ford give its customers such good deals??? im jk on that one, but imma take it to them and have them check it out and see what is exactly damaged. let u guys know what happens

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
stealerships will rape you...take it to a reputiable shop and have them do it for a fraction of the cost

gona check my plugs today

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
to bad you dont live in NC, id do it for about $70 or so (hour worth of labor), and i work at a dealership..

but if you can go by a shop, ask them when the mac tools truck comes around. that have the thread chasing tool that goes down in the head, expands, then you chase the threads back out..
or you can go to a autoparts store, and get a heli-coil kit.. just drill the old threads out, then put the heli-coil in. just use LOTS of grease like mentioned before

sometimes you can get lucky and get the plug to start back. my dads 98f150 poped a plug and it went back in.

motorhead331

Established Member
I replaced one in my 99 cobra using a standard heli coil kit from any auto parts store. Use a lot of grease on the tap and take your time. It's actually pretty easy and doesn't take much time either. It's a really common problem with the aluminum heads on the 4.6, 5.4 and the v10's as well.:coolman:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I've seen the inside-out thread chasers. It looks like a hollow tap that has been sliced up like a pizza so the threads can "close in". There's a wedge/cone at the end of a threaded rod. Insert the tool w/the cone loose (cone in first). Start tightening the nut on the threaded rod to pull the cone up which spread the threads out. Then unscrew the tool to clean the top thread(s). The problem is that I don't know where to get one!! Sorry. But they're out there and they've got to be cheaper than what Ford is quoting you. And if you find one -- remember to grease it up well so any shavings don't drop into the cylinder.

01vert

Established Member
No way! if anything happens you know they are going to say "abuse" or some bs. Check local shops that know mod fords. Bet you find one that can do it for tons cheaper. DONT go to a dealership, expect them to do a crappy job and then dont back their work when they screw up.

If done properly it shouldnt happen again. Would you pay for a job expecting the dealership to do a crappy job and then just paying the crazy price as "insurance" that they will have to do it twice??

Good luck either way

Sounds to me that if you get the expanding tap tool, that if you can change plugs then you could use this tool.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
it just happened to a buddy of mines jlp built lightning and they warrantied it, he sent them the head and they fixed it. check some local shops or even some not so local shops.

Users who are viewing this thread