Wtf! Is Up With Dss

schropper

Established Member
So I posted in suspension a little while back that I put springs in. The back end now felt like it was floating around. Alignment right? Well, I had also put in my new DSS level 5's. Torqued to 225lbs mind you. So anyway, I take it down for alignment and the kid comes up to me right after he gets it on the runners and says " I think I found your problem" Takes me over and starts rocking both my rear tires back and forth:eek: . I did all the work, so I'm feeling like:bash: . So, nurse the car home and take it all back apart and find everything looks good.... Except, the hub is not going all the way on so that it hits the DSS spacer.:cuss: Long story short the splines on the axle weren't grooved far enough.:shrug: I went to my neighbor who has a lathe, he set it up and turned 3/16" out of the inside splines on my hub. It was either that or come up with a 7/16" spacer. If your thinking of going with this upgrade beware of this fit.! Has anyone else run into this? I've read so many things about DSS not being on the ball, now I believe it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The problem I saw with the Level 5's is the spindle is too short and only engages half the splines in the hub. Kinda hokey set-up.

The rear bearing hub design from Ford is equally hokey with the lack of a spaces between the wheel bearings having them butt up against one another. The spindle is prone to wobble due to lack of span between the bearings.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Ive said it before, I'll say it again. DSS has no clue, nor have they ever seen a Cobra in their shop.

As long as you guys keep buyin' em, they'll keep sellin' em.

I highly recommend breaking at least four factory shafts before upgrading. and im not sure upgrading is all that good of an idea. the axle is a fuse. I'd rather replace axles than diff housing assemblies or transmission tailshaft housings...but thats me.

schropper

Established Member
deano2246, that is the exact problem! Your pictures should be stickyed for anyone thinking of level 5's. I'm lucky I have a lathe next door. Mine is just turned down that extra little bit now.

BurnTire

Established Member
I will have the new design half shafts next week. The have no spacer and a thicker hub. I will post up some pics when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread