wtf is this??? glob of welding wire on trans tunnel under carpet?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Just as the title says Im starting to strip a 99 v6 and when I pulled the rear seat floor carpet up right on top of the trans tunnel there's a big glob of welding wire stuck to the trans tunnel sheet metal?? Car is white and this is painted white too.

The car looked straight when I bought it now Im wondering if the thing has been wrecked and rebuilt at some point. Anyone ever see anything like this? Pinch welds all look factory on the cross bulkhead so its got me puzzled.

I stopped stripping things when I saw this no need to strip out a rebuilt shell. My plan is to start with a straight shell and move a wall with it someday. Just kidding hope to never do that again.

Any thoughts? Ill get a picture tonight when I get home.

TerminatedGT

Established Member
Just as the title says Im starting to strip a 99 v6 and when I pulled the rear seat floor carpet up right on top of the trans tunnel there's a big glob of welding wire stuck to the trans tunnel sheet metal?? Car is white and this is painted white too.

The car looked straight when I bought it now Im wondering if the thing has been wrecked and rebuilt at some point. Anyone ever see anything like this? Pinch welds all look factory on the cross bulkhead so its got me puzzled.

I stopped stripping things when I saw this no need to strip out a rebuilt shell. My plan is to start with a straight shell and move a wall with it someday. Just kidding hope to never do that again.

Any thoughts? Ill get a picture tonight when I get home.

Pictures help us help you!!! I have a 99 and a 04 get me some pics but that being said it's not uncommon to have welding slag on cars. I have even worked on a 04 Cobra that on the assembly line somewhere someone hung a tag that would hit in the wind under the car and make noise also found a tag hung on the cor-support of the same car. Found nuts and bolts in others

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Here's a few pics. Some of the slag is missing because I picked at it when I found it, thinking for a split second that it was seam sealer. My initial thought were also that someone at the factory was screwing around. What do you guys think?

400972AE-3F49-48EE-9376-BEAF6889C140_zpsiiggpkvn.jpg

80971EBA-9455-4A84-8802-2FB2CF26FFDF_zpsnirs8nue.jpg

And finally a pic of the new shit box.

56588B14-919D-4242-8AE5-55555944F4CD_zpsbnx6as1h.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Looks like someone trying to use a flux core welder. The paint color looks like a match to me though. Not like someone painted it afterwards.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ya I dunno it seemed really strange I had started pulling everything out of the trunk and stopped when I saw this. All the weld splatter just doesn't make sense to me. I never ran a car fax on the damn thing guess maybe I should. Might ask my brother in law to run an oasis report too.

All the pinch welds underneath looked factory and the subframes didnt look like theyd ever had a jack on them. It didnt look too clean or perfect just looked like a v6 that was driven daily.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I agree that the paint looks factory. I can see something like that happening if someone was welding when the chassis was being finished and something happened to their welder. Instead of fixing it correctly they just found a spot to "clear things up" w/the knowledge that it's going to be covered up anyway.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
That looks factory to me... all the metal fits together better than I think it would if it was some hacked back together car.

Users who are viewing this thread