WTF is Droid 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Just re-upped with Verizon and ordered a Samsung Galaxy Stellar, which it says has Droid 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was free and is a smartphone, which will be nice coming from a stupid Pantech Crux.

WTF does that even mean though? I did a search and came out with no better understanding then what I went in with. Is it some lesser version of Droid or what?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) was the last version of the Android platform. Android 4.1 (the latest as Kevin pointed out) is called Jelly Bean. LOL!

Edit: Here is a more in-depth explanation of Ice Cream Sandwich that you might be interested in. http://www.android.com/about/ice-cream-sandwich/

You should check to see if you can upgrade to Version 4.1.

Last edited:

svt02

Established Member
Simple terms .... It's like updates that iPhone gets " OS#" or Windows updates , so you got a good starting point on your Droid. I'm on 2.4 now until I can buy the new galaxy S ... So enjoy it fellow Droid-ian. Personaly I love the Droid over Apple since I had the iPhone4 and will never go back

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I have version 9.4.2 Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak with fries and a large coke.

but seriously where do they come up with these OS names lol...

Boomer v3.8

Established Member
They use deserts as their OS names, alphabetically.

1.5 - Cupcake
1.6 - Donut
2.0 - Eclair
2.2 - Froyo
2.3 - Gingerbread
3.X - Honeycomb
4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich
4.1 - Jelly Bean

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I have version 9.4.2 Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak with fries and a large coke.
but seriously where do they come up with these OS names lol...
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: That would be a great OS name :lol1:

Like someone said, its no different than Apple and Tiger, Snow Lion, Mountain Lion, Lion this, Lion that. Something refreshing than just numbers like iOS or windows
what's next? key lime pie, or kiwi?
Not sure if sarcastic but Key Lime Pie is actually the next name being thrown for the new update.

Kyle, c'mon im sure your Google skills are a lot better than that :beer: While not reliable, a Wiki search could've given you the right details.

SneakyPete

Banned
who here has an iphone and who has a droid? have any of you converted? my contract is coming up here shortly and i am on the fence.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
who here has an iphone and who has a droid? have any of you converted? my contract is coming up here shortly and i am on the fence.
I used both here and there. Chances are if you have an iPhone you will not like a Droid.

To be more specific. If you are into modding, customizing, and having the latest hardware then Android would open you with open arms.

If you just want a simple phone that works out the box without needing a lot, iPhone is made for you.

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
its a really crappy OS that makes a phone that use to lock up twice a week, lock up twice a day.

Haters gonna hate.

I had, still have ICS on my launch date Incredible, and it has never locked up on me. I still use it as a free wifi device, and take it on vacations for texting via google voice, taking pictures, etc.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: That would be a great OS name :lol1:

Like someone said, its no different than Apple and Tiger, Snow Lion, Mountain Lion, Lion this, Lion that. Something refreshing than just numbers like iOS or windows

Not sure if sarcastic but Key Lime Pie is actually the next name being thrown for the new update.

Kyle, c'mon im sure your Google skills are a lot better than that :beer: While not reliable, a Wiki search could've given you the right details.

They are, but I read the first link and that didn't explain the reasoning behind Ice Cream Sandwich, so I said **** it and made this thread. If every one Google-fu'd to their full ability, this site would have a lot less traffic. :D

Hopefully this phone is decent. Not like it will matter. I haven't had a smartphone in almost 3 years.

Users who are viewing this thread