WTB Twin-Turbo Kit

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I'm getting rid of the 2.3L Whipple and going with a TT setup! I was debating for the longest time about going with a 3.4L Whipple or going with a turbo setup. I've finally been convinced on which is better for what I'm intending on doing with [VET HNTR].

Anyone know of any for sale? I've been looking around and I haven't seen any in the Market section on SVTP. I'm open to ideas as to what brand, but so far, I've seen that HP kits are the way to go.

I'd love your guys advice on what setups are ideal and the pros/cons of the different brands. Thanks!!!

TRBO VNM

HP is probably the only one you will see for sale used. they have been out longer than the Hellion, HPP and the THP twin kits. I am shocked you would think the HP kit is the way to go if you have done your research.

keep in mind, HPP and HP are 2 different companies. HP is in New Mexico and HPP is in Texas. HP has the turbo's in the bumper and the HPP has them in the engine bay.

everyone will have different opinions as far as pro's and con's for the kits.

I look at and not in any particular order:

parts used
warranty
customer service
cutting of the car or not
performance
install/function problems
availability
price

I can list out a lot of stuff about the hellion, HPP and the HP kits. some info on the THP kit. however, since I am a hellion dealer, I will leave all that out and let others respond. If you have any specific questions about the hellion, let me know. I can answer them. if you ask about others and I know the answer I will respond as well, but I am sure others will chime in to.

thanks
Jason

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Thank you for the response, Jason. Now, in your honest opinion, which of the kits is the best to go with? I understand that you're a Hellion dealer, but I hope that you would have an unbiased opinion of all of the other kits so that you can help shed some light on my options for me. Doesn't have to be anything specific as to why it's your choice. Just would like to know.

And what's your setup? What kind of boost would I be looking at with a pump gas tune? Race gas tune? Does this vary with each kit? What kind of power is attainable with what sizes?

Thanks for the help!

TRBO VNM

Thank you for the response, Jason. Now, in your honest opinion, which of the kits is the best to go with? I understand that you're a Hellion dealer, but I hope that you would have an unbiased opinion of all of the other kits so that you can help shed some light on my options for me. Doesn't have to be anything specific as to why it's your choice. Just would like to know.

And what's your setup? What kind of boost would I be looking at with a pump gas tune? Race gas tune? Does this vary with each kit? What kind of power is attainable with what sizes?

Thanks for the help!

ok, I will do my best. lol

about my setup....right now, eaton. my goal now is to get into the top 5 list from Ironterp as far as the fastest eaton. I am top 10 right now from the info he has gathered and he is pretty good about that. I eventually would like a twin kit, however, I did the credit card thing and equity line for my first setup. I am now finally getting all that debt paid off and will not do that again, so I am doing things slowly and with cash. Right now I was able to piece together a full hellion single pipe kit for about $1000. so I need an intercooler, clamps, couplers, wastegate and misc brackets/gaskets. I will also be running nitrous.

on the turbo kits, right now imo, the Hellion and HPP are the best options out there.

the hellion is full stainless with lifetime warranty on the piping and 1yr unconditional on the turbo's. comes with all 3-inch piping and standard with 61mm turbo's. you can downsize to 57's, but the price is the same. Customer service I believe is top notch. if you can't get a hold of someone at hellion, they have dealers all over the US to help out and as you have seen, I am on the boards often and do everything I can for everyone. their twin kit is easy to install and no rubbing issues with pipes on other parts of the car. the price is very reasonable and allows you to upgrade to some of the best suspension on the market. There is cutting on the hellion twin kit, but not the single. you need to cut about 6-8 inches of the bumper support. the reason they put the turbo's behind the bumper was to set the kit up for a compound system. the kit performs well as compound or just twin setup. there were some early on issues due to crank case pressure, but they were resolved with breathers or a breather/catch can setup like the Jaz Jug. The pipes do go under the Kmember on both their kits. there have been a couple of reports of scraping. unless you are totally slammed, you should not have a problem unless you go over speed bumps at 20mph. but if you look at the pipes, they cross the kmember at the a-arm, so if you go over bumps, it all moves up together. The kit comes with a scavenge pump so you don't have to try and make it work without it or anything. I believe they are providing restrictors now as well. the hellion kit uses stock manifolds and so far that has proven to work very well. hellion kits are in stock and usually ship within a week of payment. some stuff is drop shipped, like the suspension and some turbo's or fuel parts.

on the HPP kit, from what I have seen, they have good customer service as well. their kit also produces good numbers. all the twin kits produce good numbers really. the hpp is ceramic coated mild steel. I haven't seen any issues with it on their pipes yet, but I know people with the HP kit have had to have their pipes recoated. I do like the turbo's in the engine bay for that wow appearance when you open the hood, but on the twin kits in the engine bay it just seems like there is a lot going on with all the oil feed lines, water cooled housing lines, etc. just seems very busy from the pics I have seen so far. I did see on one of their kits that the passenger tie rod hit and dented one of the pipes. this is fixable with a bump steer kit. I know some of the other pipes are close, but on the car I saw, everything else appeared to fit pretty good. they do have headers that come with their kit and some people are all about that, but the stock manifolds prove ok so far like I posted above. it isn't or wasn't clear on their site if the suspension is included in the price. it appeared it wasn't when I was reading through everything. so it would be more expensive than the hellion kit and I know some people have spent $10k+ on their kit with upgrades. The only thing I really don't like about their design is the charge pipe (pipe connected to tbody). the transition imo should be done another way to go from a larger pipe to smaller pipe. it is in the engine bay and appearance is everything. as of right now I believe you have to wait for the kit to be made.

I think that is it for now. I need to get back to my full time job. if I think of anything else I will post up.

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
That was an extremely informative and knowledgeable post! Thank you very much! I have just broadened my horizon of what I'm interested in turbo wise.

Is their anyone else in which would like to chime in for my benefit please?

spray175

Established Member
I agree with Jason. Those are the only two companys I would buy from. I'm happy with my Hellion kit.

How much do you want for your whipple 2.3L? My buddy may be interested.
Thanks

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
+1 also on Jason!
I would strongly consider him and a Hellion twin kit if I were in your shoes! First of all you won't find anyone better as far as customer service! He is always here and willing to answer any and all questions and will get you answers if he doesn't know, and he is a hell of a nice guy and willing to go the extra ten miles (not just 1) when it goes to customer service!
Secondly Hellion is the only on the shelf kits as well as the only (non custom) stainless one on the market!

The only others I would consider outside of the Hellion is HPP's kit which is made by PTK. Which places trhe turbos in the engine bay! The quality there is very good, even though it's mild steel/aluminum construction. Those who have went the HPP route seem to be happy with Manny (DR281), and Wade and their customer service as well!

personally I would have to go with Jason, and the Hellion set-up as I am still very interested in doing a compound boost set-up sometime down the road!

Ken:beer:

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I agree with Jason. Those are the only two companys I would buy from. I'm happy with my Hellion kit.

How much do you want for your whipple 2.3L? My buddy may be interested.
Thanks

I'm selling the W140ax along with the full Eaton swap kit to a buddy of mine for $5k. If it doesn't go through, I'll definitely throw it up here in the market place.

TRBO VNM

:lol: Thanks everyone. Just trying to help people. If I know or have info, no reason not to share it.

Bullitt, I am pretty lucky with my full time job. very flexible. as long as we get our work done, that is what matters.

syclone50

Established Member
$5K dam that is a good deal for you. I sold my whipple 2.3 locally for his 99 cobra. he took all my blower stuff and I took all his NA stuff. Worked perfect for both of us. That is thebest way to it. I only got $4K for my stuff and had alot of upgrades too.

As far as customer service if I was to do it all over again I would by the hellion AGAIN from Jason. I bought my kit used and bought the suspension from him. The way he helped me you would think I bought it all though. Very helpful and quick to get back to you. Hell I even called him a few times for some help.

Hellion/Jason FTW!

Carbon Driven

Established Member
Hey Ricky I'm interested in the swap and Whipple for the Cobra. If the sale falls through hit me up even if its only for the swap parts. I can get an Eaton temporarily until another Whipple comes by my way.

shhak

Established Member
Ricky, if you do decide to go turbo, don't get the HP kit. Sure, it'll make power. Hell, mine made all kinds of power. But the quality isn't exactly up to par with Hellion or HPP. And the customer service isn't worth the toilet paper they wipe with. Before I bought my car, I tried to get someone from HP to return some phone calls. Never happened. So I ended up just buying a car already done. Like I said, the HP kit will make power, but that's as far as the "good points" go with them. My brothers car has the Hellion single setup on it and the kit itself is much nicer. Just something to think about!

By the way, where's those videos???

red03dave

Established Member
check out The Turbo Forums.com, used to be the old turbo mustangs website. Great site for turbo knowledge. They keep an up-to-date running list of all the vendors still in business and their kits they offer. Also has feedback from customers, good and bad. Here is a link for mod motor stuff.

The Turbo Forums.com

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
i can't believe you...so how much are you gonna sell your whipple for to 20psirabbit? i think you should give him a good deal since those wheels didn't fit :lol:

rene06GT

Established Member
If you are interested in a single kit let me know I will sell you mine for a smoking deal.

I would be intrested but honetly I will need everythin but the pipes. (My cars an 06) what kinda deal can we make? Call me at 361-510-6630. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread