WTB - Shelby/Kicker audio upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Well, sorry for all of my replies (and confusion), but it looks like the S197 Coupe trunk sub has it's own 200 watt amp. and can be a "trunk sub only" install with no other Kicker items needed for operation. Here is the video......

..............and in the Shelby Perf. Parts catalog (2010), that sub by itself with wiring was $649

R

Last edited:

BlownPony306

Established Member
I am replacing my speakers with JL C5-570x 5x7 all around and JL 8 in the door subs. I am taking out the Shaker sub box so I take some weight and clunking noises out.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well, sorry for all of my replies (and confusion), but it looks like the S197 Coupe trunk sub has it's own 200 watt amp. and can be a "trunk sub only" install with no other Kicker items needed for operation. Here is the video......

..............and in the Shelby Perf. Parts catalog (2010), that sub by itself with wiring was $649

R

I actually like this alot.

Andretti

Established Member
Robert is absolutely correct with all the info he has mentioned.

I bought a 2006 Mustang GT brand new that had a shaker 1000 system from the factory. About 2-3 years in (whenever the upgraded sub appeared), I purchased it and the speakers thru Shelby and upgraded my sound system in the GT with them along with a new double din Kenwood head unit. Stupid easy install (but since I was adding the 4.1 amp, I had to run the two additional wiring harnesses as mentioned before). Upgrading all this resulted in a 1000X better sound system as well as eliminated the dead battery issues that the shaker system use to cause.

When I sold the GT a few months ago, I returned everything back to the stock shaker 1000 sound system other then leaving the upgraded speakers and removing the wiring harnesses that ran the upgrades. I then drove my 2008 GT500 (that never had a shaker 500 or 1000 system) into the garage, replaced the stock head unit with the Kenwood 893S I had previously been using, added the 4.1 amp, the newer upgraded sub in the trunk after running all the new wiring harnesses to both, added another full set of newer, better then stock speakers, from Shelby....and now have, yet again, a 'Upgraded Shelby Sound System'.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I know this is old, but every so often you realize you are sitting on someone else's gold mine. I have a new in the box Sub with amp and harness, but it's for the 11-14 models. I had bought this thinking I could rework it to fit in my daughters convertible, but after looking it over 6 ways to sunday I just wasn't interested in chopping it up when I know someone out there wants it. It's up in the market area here: https://www.svtperformance.com/thre...bwoofer-kit-for-2011-2014-coupe-only.1189184/

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Here is an article that Donald Farr did on the Shelby/Kicker install.......

How To Install A Shelby/Kicker Stereo Upgrade - Mustang Monthly
I looked through one of my Shelby Perf. Parts catalogs from the 2010 time period and I see the complete Shelby/Kicker audio upgrade for $1399 and I see each part sold separately and mentioning "plug-n-play", but they do not show a kit with the sub and amp only, and they do not say specifically that the Kicker sub. plugs into the oem harness, so I am not sure now what "plug-n-play" means as it relates to the trunk sub. All I know is that there is a separate harness with Shelby/Kicker label identifiers that feeds that sub in the trunk and not the oem harness. If the oem harness was the sub plug-n-play, there would be no need for this Kicker harness to feed the trunk sub?
R
Again, late to the party here but I can tell you that it is basically plug and play as I have it in my 13. The additional harness just plugs in to the under dash harness. You do have to run a power wire to the battery or powerbox through the passengers side firewall that can be a pain in the ass, and there is a harness that runs down the passenger side to the sub. There was no wiring in the non factory sub cars to the back, but that part is a piece of cake. The attached photo is all the parts that come with the kit. You can see the small harness

Attachments

• mustangkicker.JPG
    mustangkicker.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 134
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread