WTB my first cobra soon. 2-3 months.

ownage99988

Hey there guys, long time lurker here, first time poster. I just recently got a new job and I think that in the next couple of months I'll be able to finance a cobra. Since it's my first, I'm not going for show quality here, but I don't want it to be a pile of shit either. Mostly looking for like maybe a high miles but taken care of car. I'm alright with a lot of mods, and if it has an auto trans (4r75w swap?) thats a plus, because I drive a lot in traffic and live in LA. Just not a fan of manuals in general. Price range is like 10-15k. Is that realistic at all for a high miles car, like 80k+? Just sort of seeing what you guys have to say, if this is in the wrong place let me know and I will delete or move it. Thanks!

ownage99988

I mean, I've seen some go for under 10 on ebay. Not nice ones... but thats beside the point lmao :) I think for 15 i should be able to get like, at least a decent one?

SBTwinScrew

Established Member
No disrespect my friend but you will be lucky to find a 170k mile light modded very for that price... and people are having a hard time giving away mint verts.. if you want to be realistic you need to think along the lines of 20k minimum. I've watched many of terminators come and go on here since 2010 and just recently joined as a member when I decided to be more serious about a potential purchase. Just my honest opinion and I wish you luck. You are looking at the right car that is definite

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I mean, I've seen some go for under 10 on ebay. Not nice ones... but thats beside the point lmao :) I think for 15 i should be able to get like, at least a decent one?

Nope, not a descent one. A POS, maybe. Sorry to burst your bubble, but good luck with the hunt.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Alright let me put this in perspective since we are both from so cal. I paid 16k for my black 04 coupe with 106k and at that price I was fighting for the car. If you find one for cheaper it will beat to hell. In so cal they are extremely hard to come by because everyone holds on to them just my so cal .02 oh and you are a massive target for cops even if you don't do jack; never had that problem with any other mustang I've driven.

likuid_inc

Established Member
I picked up my 2001 for $10,500 with 75k miles. Bone stock vert with the color combo I was hunting for! No forged internals or FI, but the money saved can be spent personalizing it just how you want it. Either that or wait til you have 20k to spend and do it right! Good luck

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I was in the Terminator Buy/Sale section earlier and there are a fair bit of Terminators in that price range with less than 100k. I personally wouldn't buy one for a daily though. Also isnt California pretty strict on the mods you can do to your car because of annual emission test?

wckdvnm

Established Member
I was in the Terminator Buy/Sale section earlier and there are a fair bit of Terminators in that price range with less than 100k. I personally wouldn't buy one for a daily though. Also isnt California pretty strict on the mods you can do to your car because of annual emission test?

Not as strict as most think. As long as it doesn't interfere with emissions a.k.a deleteing egr and stuff like that it's not that bad. Plus any car 2000 and newer do not get sniffer tested.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Not as strict as most think. As long as it doesn't interfere with emissions a.k.a deleteing egr and stuff like that it's not that bad. Plus any car 2000 and newer do not get sniffer tested.
They still do the visual and you need a CARB number. If the place is by the book at least. I had to show the number for the K&N intake on our 06. Only legal mid pipe is the stocker. And most CAI's aren't legal because they don't have the CARB number.

wckdvnm

Established Member
They still do the visual and you need a CARB number. If the place is by the book at least. I had to show the number for the K&N intake on our 06. Only legal mid pipe is the stocker. And most CAI's aren't legal because they don't have the CARB number.

My JLT RAI and magnaflow tru-catted X passed and that was a star station. Idk how it is down in San Diego but most places here will look the CARB numbers if you don't have them.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
Forget $10k. I'd say $15-19k for what you are looking for. Financing is getting tougher as these cars get older. Just keep that in mind as you do your search. My finance company would loan up to $20k for anything less than 48k miles. Anything over 48K miles- the loan amount dropped. $20k was pretty generous considering the cars age, but in order to get the car I wanted, I had to pony up additional cash.

Its not very likely you will find a converted Cobra (to auto) in your price range. Most of those are purpose built cars which will have a larger price tag than your budget.

Some folks daily their cars and some do not. I, personally, do not daily mine. There are pros and cons to each side of the argument.

Consider the insurance premiums as well. Adding one Cobra to my policy was almost as much as my monthly cost to insure two older SUVs- combined. I think I pay about 1100/yr out here on the east coast, just for the Cobra.

I think they are the coolest Cobra SVTs Ford ever made, but they are older girls now. You have to be able to pay to play. As long as you considered these factors and have a plan, then I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. Good Luck!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My JLT RAI and magnaflow tru-catted X passed and that was a star station. Idk how it is down in San Diego but most places here will look the CARB numbers if you don't have them.

That's why I said if they're by the book. Just because it was a star station doesn't mean they're going to look it up. Neither one of those parts has a CARB number. I'm pretty sure K&N is the only CARB legal intake for our cars. I'd keep that guys number.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Forget $10k. I'd say $15-19k for what you are looking for.

I agree with this. I just bought my Vert back in April with 75K on the clock. The guy originally was asking 16K for the car and did not receive any bites. He dropped it to 15K and then it seemed everyone wanted it, but I was the first to come up with a deposit and ended up buying the car site unseen. Luckily I got a VERY good car. No major mods (just lowered, cat back and CAI).

The car was in a minor fender bender. You can see signs in the engine bay, but the car is straight. Also, the paint is not the best and the hood had so many rock chips it looked like it was driven behind a gravel truck.

Luckily I can paint and do mechanical work. So, I have slowly been bringing the car back to it's former glory. So, that is another thing to keep in mind. At your price range you will be looking at a car that needs some TLC. Can you do the work yourself or will you have to pay someone. All that adds up.

I hope you find one in your price range. It can be done, but it's not easy. Good luck..........

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
20k will buy u a nice cobra. Most likely won't find an auto. That's something you will have to do yourself. Don't forget the more mods the less reliable they come. If you do buy one with mods make sure it's quality work and comes with all the documents.

Post up the car your looking at here with all the mods and let us tell you if it's a decent car.

I wouldn't rush the process wait for the funds.

A car with mods like mine will cost you around 24 25k. And that's a steal for the amount of work in the car.

Are u a mechanic

Users who are viewing this thread