WTB Cams

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Looking for a set of aftermarket cams. Interested in new and used. Would be interested in custom grinds dependent upon the spec, or Comp stage 3 (106500s) or similar..

PM me or respond to this thread!

Thanks,
Neil

JohnEagle

Established Member
If you haven't bought any cams yet. American Muscle has the 106460 Comp Cams on special right now for $999.99 and I found a discount code that took another $60.00 off and of course free shipping. Just an FYI

I bought a set today (1-20-13) $939.99 out the door.

Demonio

Established Member
With those 106460 do you need to upgrade springs and retainers? I know comp recommends to do so n how much hp gain do people usually see from swapping to these say from 96-98 cams?

JohnEagle

Established Member
I can't say on the hp difference between the cams. I do know you will need to upgrade the springs in order to run these cams.

Demonio

Established Member
What about if set up straight up? Would those be good cams for a 3.4 crusher? Sorry for hijacking ur thread bud...

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
What about if set up straight up? Would those be good cams for a 3.4 crusher? Sorry for hijacking ur thread bud...

You will lose power not degreeing them. I've seen comps off as much as 10 degrees. Usually one side is off a few degrees and the other around 7. Do yourself a favor and degree them, trick flow or cloyes makes a nice sprocket kit, don't get the ones with the Allen bolts, they break. And don't get the stage threes, you'll bleed boost off around 4500. Talking from experience, not what I've read. Hope this helps.

Demonio

Established Member
You will lose power not degreeing them. I've seen comps off as much as 10 degrees. Usually one side is off a few degrees and the other around 7. Do yourself a favor and degree them, trick flow or cloyes makes a nice sprocket kit, don't get the ones with the Allen bolts, they break. And don't get the stage threes, you'll bleed boost off around 4500. Talking from experience, not what I've read. Hope this helps.

So going with these cams 106460 is a bad idea then...? Cause I just hit the buy it now on American muscle...let me know if it is to cancel my order...
What's a good spring n retainers to go with these?...

Last edited:

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
Talk to NA_svt. Very smart guy. Stage 3's=no good. Especially on your $$ per horsepower calculator. 98 cobra cams or custom ground are a smarter choice in that department.
And you're wasting your time doing a cam swap if you don't degree. You can degree the stock ones and get as much as 15 whp.
Springs and retainers, just buy the comp or crower drop in beehives that are good to .500.

JohnEagle

Established Member
Do your research. Ask questions but make sure you're getting answers and advice from engine builders and tuners. Degreeing cams, that's a must. Springs and retainers are a must with some cams but not all. My advice there is upgrade if you change cams regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread