WRX (non STI) surprises my Blown 01 Snake

Cobie03

Established Member
At a stop light yesterday I see a black WRX pull up behind me and rev it with a huge sound of his BOV. I was just like OK this guy wants to play :-D! I had my girl in the car and I told her to hold on. The light turned green and I slowly moved ahead just enough to get the WRX to pass the car on the left of me so we can line up evenly. When we were even I punched it at about 20mph as did he and we were off. I could not believe that through my 1-2 shift and 2-3 shifts the guy was hanging at my door :eek:! I went all the way to end of third and shifted to 4th with the WRX not fallin back or moving foward for that matter. My turn came up to get off and I hit the brakes, (I couldn't tell you how fast I was going but I was moving). He slowed up to meet my pace and we exchanged thumbs up to one another as I turned off. I looked over at my gf and she was as white as a ghost! I asked her if she was ok and she said, "Don't ever do that with me in the car again, I think I'm going to puke". I just smiled and said wasn't that fun! :lol1:
I forgot to say the WRX had a front mount intercooler and I know they came with top mounts stock so this car had to have some serious work done to it. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these cars and what kind of work it had to keep up with me like that. I know stock they are rated at 227 hp I think. BTW my car is making 476rwhp and I was shifting at aprox. 7k-7200rpms. Just to give you guys an idea of how much work the WRX probably had done. :beer:

virpacalis

Established Member
It's amazing he kept up. Obviously he had a huge turbo upgrade, but I'm betting he may have had a 2.5 liter transplant and was also running a race fuel map. IMO it is an extremely rare WRX that's running near your power level on pump gas.

DA BOLT

Established Member
They had a silver STI on the tv showTuner Transformation where they went stealth and got rid of the big scoop and installed a front mounted intercooler and also deleted the hugh rear wing and added some engine mods, so it could possibly be a modded STI in stealth mode.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
There is no doubt that he spent $$$$$$ to make that thing run like that. He had to be a stealthy STi with a FMIC, big turbo swap, bolt-ons, tune, and maybe a meth injection kit!

PDubs

Established Member
I raced a WRX from a roll once. My only mods include intake, catted-x, c/b. We took off from a 40 roll and went up to about 110? I walked him but not by much, maybe a car length. We stopped and talked, he had some upgrades such as: i/c, turbo, plugs, intake, exhaust, mbc, 30shot for cooling?, tires, AND he had a 200lb passenger. I would imagine the WRX you ran into had even more than that, sans passenger.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
DA BOLT said:
They had a silver STI on the tv showTuner Transformation where they went stealth and got rid of the big scoop and installed a front mounted intercooler and also deleted the hugh rear wing and added some engine mods, so it could possibly be a modded STI in stealth mode.

Yup, i raced a silver stealth STI in Canandaigua NY back in May, We hit it and he was right with me until 100 then i started to pull some. surprised the hell outta me

i would say i had maybe a car on him by 120

Cobie03

Established Member
All I know is this guy caught me by surprise! Maybe he had a T3/T4 turbo upgrade to hang with me like that or a nice shot of NOS, I don't know. I raced a modded STI a while back and gave him a beating, I posted it on here. It just puzzles me thats all, I wished I had talked to the guy to find out what he had. Anybody else have any ideas of what the WRX could have had done to it to hang with my almost 500rwhp car?

00GT

Banned
Cobie03 said:
All I know is this guy caught me by surprise! Maybe he had a T3/T4 turbo upgrade to hang with me like that or a nice shot of NOS, I don't know. I raced a modded STI a while back and gave him a beating, I posted it on here. It just puzzles me thats all, I wished I had talked to the guy to find out what he had. Anybody else have any ideas of what the WRX could have had done to it to hang with my almost 500rwhp car?

He needs about 450 awhp to hang with you since he weighs less. He could get that with a big turbo, intake, exhaust, tuning etc. Or less boost and a shot of nitrous.

Users who are viewing this thread