Wrtie Up: A little insight on datalogging the coyote...

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Hoping this might give a little insight into data logging your coyote and why most tuners want you to data log. Even sheds a little light on what we do with the data we get. Might even help some of the guys who don't data log for your tuner double check some things and just all around know a little more about the process. Posted it up on a few FB groups and they seems to like it so I thought I would share it on good ol' svtp.

DATALOGGING 101 AND THE BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT YOU’RE SEEING.

Chris

Last edited:

slick3

Established Member
Hoping this might give a little insight into data logging your coyote and why most tuners want you to data log. Even sheds a little light on what we do with the data we get. Might even help some of the guys who don't data log for your tuner double check some things and just all around know a little more about the process. Posted it up on a few FB groups and they seems to like it so I thought I would share it on good ol' svtp.

DATALOGGING 101 AND THE BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT YOU’RE SEEING.

Chris

Thank you so much for this, mastwolf... I will be getting my car tuned here real soon and this will make me feel much more confident in knowing what to look for in my logging as well as double checking my tune down the line. Bookmarked!

coolwater28

Da Beast!!!!!!
Established Member
Great write up. Im very interested in learning how to tune my car so I hope you dont mind if I ask you a million questions. First one, what do I need to purchase to start learning how to tune?

ExTurbo

Established Member
thanks for posting and taking the time to write that up, definitely learned a few things reading through. Id like to do some data logging, probably should invest in a laptop or something so if im ever at the track i can see where things went wrong. the last time i went something strange happened in 3rd gear almost like it stopped accelerating for a second. would love to know what the hell it was!

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
****. I need a beer and a laptop. I'm not reading that on my phone. I tried and my head hurts... Thanks again Chris for the informative post brother! :beer:

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Thanks mastwolf! What are the other torque sources that may show up?

RBLrSrf.jpg

On a stock tuned car you might very well see 0 - 7. 8 being engine oil temp thats NOT a very good one to see at all, and you will see 14 if cruise control in in use.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
What is 16 on torque_source pid and what does target n mean?

From what I have seen Source 16 is some sort of tipout, ofter seen when you let off of the throttle. Target N from my understanding is the PCM targeting its torque in newton meters.

wxEnF2I.jpg

This table is pedal postion vs rpm with desired torque populating the tables...in the form of newton meters.

hopony

Established Member
would it hurt performance on a m6 car to see torque_source of 4,9 and 16 when shifting? The 16 is only on 3-4 shift

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
would it hurt performance on a m6 car to see torque_source of 4,9 and 16 when shifting? The 16 is only on 3-4 shift
If you seeing source 4 that's rev limiter. Shift a little sooner and see what happens.

50blackout

Established Member
Wow, I just bought an X4 tuner and needed to do some datalogging and this thread helped so much!!! Thanks Mastwolf!!!

One question: If your car has an exhaust leak, which PID would show it? Would it be the AFR bank 1 and 2 or would you look for the difference in LTFT bank 1 and 2 and/or STFT?

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Wow, I just bought an X4 tuner and needed to do some datalogging and this thread helped so much!!! Thanks Mastwolf!!!

One question: If your car has an exhaust leak, which PID would show it? Would it be the AFR bank 1 and 2 or would you look for the difference in LTFT bank 1 and 2 and/or STFT?

Depending on where at in the exhaust it is, you MIGHT not even see it, but if its where the 02sensors can see it, it will "look" lean and STFT and or LTFT would be off from bank to bank.

by9468840

Established Member
Awesome write up. Thanks. !
Reading this made me think about my ltft. Recently it is always starting at 1.07 at the beginning of a wot pull.
Stft goes down to .93-0.94. You talk about trying to get stft as close as possible to 1. Isn't stft in my case trying to remove the fuel ltft adds? Sometimes I just think if disconnecting the bat would help reset ltft :)

Users who are viewing this thread