Write-up for differential cover re-seal?

Rootus

BANNED
Established Member
I've been hunting around, but my search skillz are failing me. Has anybody got a write-up on how to re-seal the differential cover? A live axle is trivial to work on, but I gather that the IRS makes this one significantly more of a PITA to work on. It's still under warranty, but I've been having bad luck with dealer work lately, and I'm thinking of using the opportunity to install the BF brace.

Thanks,

Dave

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member

Use these directions but do not remove the front IRS bolt, just let it hang. Remove the top bolt on the spindle (UCA bolt). That will allow you to pull out the halfshafts. Remove the two front diff bushing bolts. Diff will lift right out. Seal if on a bench, install the brace too. Reverse to reassemble.

Step by step IRS drop instructions:

1)Get car up on 4 jackstands witht ther tires about 8-10" off the ground in the rear and 4-6" in the front. A little angle is important to keep the trans from leaking when you pull out the driveshaft.
2)Remove catback. Soap or spray lube on the hangers ease insertion/removal.
3)Remove Driveshaft. Pull it out of the trans.
4)Remove tires.
5)Remove shocks, disconnect from top and bottom.
6)Remove ABS sensors from differential and pull/pry the fasteners off the IRS subframe. Get it completely off the IRS. They detach under the rear seats. You can pull up through the floor if you pull the big rubber grommet up.
7)Remove Emergency brake cables. There are little c-clips mounting them to the calipers. DO NOT remove the spring, way harder to get it back together. Just push on the little arm holding the cable end till you can work it out. I use vice grips to compress it. Make sure e-brake is off, of course. Also have a helper pull all the slack to the side you are working on.
8)Remove brake calipers, two bolts. Put jack underneath bottom of spindle, just support it. Mark the position of the eccentric washer where the UCA mounts to the top of the spindle. Remove upper spindle/UCA bolt. Pull back on top of spindle and slip the brake line out fromo under the UCA. Remove brake line bracket which mounts to UCA. Replace the upper spindle bolt.
9)Remove rear IRS subframe bolts. Support IRS at the center of the main rear beam, directly rear of the pinion mount bracket (back of the diff). Take both bolts out once it is supported. Use some 4x4's or jackstands to support it a few inches under its normal position (you don't want to lower it to ground till the front is loose.) You just want to lower it enough so the springs will come out.
10)With the rear supported on 4x4's or jackstands, put the jack under the front differential brace. Remove the front IRS subframe bolts. Lower the front down. It may stick, both the ones I have done needed a few smacks with a mallet. Once loose lower to the 4x4's then reposition the jack, lift a bit, remove 4x4's and lower to ground or pull out from under the car on top of the jack.
11)Reinstall in reverse order. Be sure to get it up close again on 4x4's, too much angle and the front bushings will not go in. Remember to swap out the stock 12mm front IRS bolts for the new 14mm bolts from MM or your dealer.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
I was under the impression that the BF brace could be installed with the IRS ON the car. Is this incorrect? Seems like a PITA to have to take the whole IRS out.

Rootus

BANNED
Established Member
Postban -- thanks much for that link. Looks fairly involved, I think I may opt to have a shop do this one for me. Must be getting old...

StngStr said:
I was under the impression that the BF brace could be installed with the IRS ON the car. Is this incorrect? Seems like a PITA to have to take the whole IRS out.
I believe the brace can be installed without removing the diff -- but my question was not about installing the brace, it was about resealing a leaking differential cover. I'm thinking I'll install the IRS brace after the cover leak has been fixed to try and keep it from happening again.

Dave

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
StngStr said:

you're correct

I didn't even drop the exhaust to do mine

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
StngStr said:

For quickest, easiest installation of the Billetflow Diff Cover Brace, I prefer to take off the passenger side part of the catback. That it is, none of the instructions above applies to diff brace installation.

The guy asked about resealing a diff, I answered, you assumed, know you know ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread