Write-up for cutting stock springs?

Spyderman25

Established Member
maybe its just me but i have been trying to search and can't find a write up on how to cut the stock springs... how hard is it to do? someone want to give me a brief run-down? thanks :rolling:

Last edited:

V-Sicks

Established Member
It's pretty easy. The hardest part is getting the stock springs out of the front. Cut from the top on the front and bottom on the back if I remember correctly. Use a cut off wheel not anything that produces alot of heat such as a torch or plasma cutter. Cut off a little at a time to get the ride height that you want. Here's a writeup on how to remove/ install springs....

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/steedaspring1.htm

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
V-Sicks said:
It's pretty easy. The hardest part is getting the stock springs out of the front. Cut from the top on the front and bottom on the back if I remember correctly. Use a cut off wheel not anything that produces alot of heat such as a torch or plasma cutter. Cut off a little at a time to get the ride height that you want. Here's a writeup on how to remove/ install springs....

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/steedaspring1.htm

WRONG!

If you have an IRS, the tops of the springs are flat and the bottoms have a pigtail at the end. Especially in the front, you want to cut off the bottom. I'm not sure about the rear but you need to cut the part that isn't flat. Pretty much, just use some kind of abrasive cutter to hack off part of the spring. I used a dremel with reinforced cutting wheels and it didn't take me very long. A pneumatic cut off wheel would be much quicker. I think 3/4 to a full coil is about good on a cobra. Do a search for cut springs on here and see how much people cut off, there are plenty of threads about it.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I cut 3/4 on mine all around and the front was perfect but the rear was too low. I would go half on the rear and half on the front and see where your car sits. You can always cut more:beer: Be carefull when lowering your IRS, make sure there is no tension on your IRS bolt or you will strip it. You also dont need spring compressors. Doing all corners is pretty easy though-Shane

Users who are viewing this thread