Wrapping Jay's 2017 Ford GT - Jay Leno's Garage

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My Viper is wrapped in clear 3M... I love it. It's getting to the point where some panels need to be redone, but it's amazing and ridiculously easy to take care of.

It does take away a little of the color, but not enough for me to want it removed for good.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I have seen some high $$$$$ cars with this treatment, the ones I've seen seem to have a yellow tint to them. No way to tell what product was used or how long it was on the car. Cars with light color paint seem to show it the worst.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ive had it on my mustang for 7 or 8 years and granted it hasnt been outside a whole lot you cant tell its on the front bumper or rear bumper (to keep the 315s from pelting it with rocks). I think its worth every penny. When I replace the current DD truck I'll be doing it.

Imatk

Established Member
I've had my clear bra on the car for a couple years... looks perfect. Although You are supposed to wax it just like paint so if it's neglected that might be the cause of the yellowing.

I've seen some of them yellowed but one I saw looked like it was on the car for a very long time and had never been washed/waxed.

Not sure if I'd do my whole car though heh. If I was going to go that route I'd have them wrap it a different color or something... lot of expense for just a clear film.

txrunner

Established Member
Did my front end with Xpel wrap. It is self healing & Guaranteed against yellowing & it actually enhances the paint color. Impressed so far. Had it wrapped back to my front fenders & mirrors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08mojo

Established Member
I've been running paint protection film on my cars for years. I've never had any problems with yellowing, but I've also never had the cars for more than 2 years.

My current cars are all white. You cannot tell the film is on any of the cars unless the edge of the film gets dirty. At that point, it's easy to clean with a rag and rubbing alcohol.

Imatk

Established Member
Generally speaking a "wrap" for a car should last you 5 years or so depending on conditions.

I would suspect that the clear film (Xpel and others) probably last around that long before starting to deteriorate.

If you keep you car garaged and it's not a daily then it probably will last longer.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I definitely want to look into these self healing ones next time. They have some self healing coatings as well (pretty sure it requires a heat lamp of some sort) but I dont think it'll provide impact protection like the films

Users who are viewing this thread