wrapped my 401A dash panels with CF vinyl

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
I really wanted a darker dash panel in my car with a bit less glare. The 401A dark stainless panel is nice, but its very retro looking and I wanted a bit more modern look for the car. Unfortunately all pics are with an iPhone, my dslr setup is currently missing a wide angle lens (something I keep meaning to buy/replace)

So I hopped on ebay, and bought a length of carbon fiber vinyl wrap.

cfwrap-1.jpg

I carefully removed all the dash panels (pretty straightforward, just remember to disconnect battery before disconnecting airbag on passenger side). I used this link: Ford Service Manuals - 2011 to read the service manual on removing the panels (the cluster surround pulls out, the airbag is removed by two bolts you access from under the glovebox with it dropped, and the remaining panels are held in by 5x 7mm bolts). Once the parts were out, I made quick work of disassembling the chrome trim rings, AC vents and other parts to get to the bare panels. There's no real documentation on how to do it, but its pretty straight forward. Some smooth flat objects (I used some old butterknives) make quick work of undoing all the latches.

I tried a couple different methods of installing the vinyl, but there's two basic techniques that are musts: water + heat. Using a spray bottle, I sprayed down the part (and the vinyl) that was getting applied:

cfwrap-2.jpg

Id apply the vinyl, then using a squeegee get all the bubbles and water out, leaving a well adhered smooth surace.

Then using heat from a blowdryer, I "pulled" all the edges around to "form" the vinyl to the complex shapes (may appear to be flat panels, but you really need to wrap all around to get the OEM look and quality of finish I wanted). I'd trim the excess, and make sure that there

cfwrap-4.jpg

cfwrap-5.jpg

cfwrap-6.jpg

here is one finished piece:

cfwrap-7.jpg

some installed shots:

cfwrap-10.jpg

cfwrap-8.jpg

cfwrap-12.jpg

cfwrap-13.jpg

ViciousJay

Established Member
oh do mine, do mine!!!! ill send you my stuff

that seriously looks nice!!!! do the radio bezel

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
wow im not a huge carbon fiber guy b/c it usually looks like cheap crap but man you did a AWESOME job and it makes the dash look better.

Erick

Established Member
I was so skeptical from the in-progress pics, but you you did one helluva job laying it down. The vinyl looks good because of the matte finish and texture to it. I think if it was glossy, it would have looked a bit cheap!

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
That looks good man. I love how you lined up the pattern across the pieces too. I agree with the above post about the radio panel...that would look good too I think.

Either way, I like it. Nice job.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
that looks really good. nice job. I think u should start your own side company doing this for people lol.

Users who are viewing this thread