wow changed brakes... have to do if you changed tire/wheels!

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
Guys,

Not trying to start a debate on best possible pads, only that FORD did not do it right with our cars. If you look at the product lineup, you will realize that the only cars that have SUMMER rubber from the factory are the Brembo optioned cars. When you take a standard GT and put some summer rubber, bad things happen if you try to go fast and brake hard. It was to the point where with my setup I couldn't even get into ABS! Had I known how bad it would have been my first mod (14k miles ago).

After toasting my stock pads and rotors and boiling my fluid (I did change to DOT4 before trying my luck at going fast, I did a flush...change to Stoptech CRYO slotted rotors and the new HAWK HP 5.0. What a difference! It still is a bit more street worthy than track purposed, but I will just switch to the new STREET RACE or HTC 70 next year if I go hard (for example on a track day...) since the pads are all compatible on the same rotor. That is why I did the CRYO treated, they wear a bit longer than a standard rotor and the track pads eat rotors so quickly.

I will probably change the rear rotors in the spring, just ran out of cash this fall. If you have not done a brake pad upgrade and have not toasted your rotors yet, do a pad swap and just use a 200 grit paper to rough up and remove the previous brake pad material from your rotors. Then just re-bed the pads and BAM. I wish I would have done that, I think the stock rotors would have been just fine with a pad upgrade and fluid upgrade.

I noticed an immediate improvement in initial bite (slow light pedal input around town, parking lot, etc) and easily I can get my car into ABS which is quite a bit more brake force than before. I don't have an opinion on fade yet, but I expect the temp range is greatly improved. After bedding them in I did notice some dark dust... so I expect they will carry a bit more dust than the stock pads.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I have thought that at least with the new 5.0, Brembo 4 pot calipers should have been standard fitment. My 2004 Volvo S60R came with Brembo 4-pot calipers on all 4 corners, no reason Ford cannot do the same.

chao5.0

Established Member
if you really want to upgrade over standard GT brakes get the Brembo's. I did the swap along with slotted rotors, Carbotech AX6 pads, and SS braided lines with Motul 600 fluid and the car is way better than before. my biggest issue now is in traffic if there is a panic stop, my car can stop really fast and avoid any cars in front but now I'm worried about the cars behind me that can't stop as fast plowing into my car.

Angry50

Established Member
if you really want to upgrade over standard GT brakes get the Brembo's. I did the swap along with slotted rotors, Carbotech AX6 pads, and SS braided lines with Motul 600 fluid and the car is way better than before. my biggest issue now is in traffic if there is a panic stop, my car can stop really fast and avoid any cars in front but now I'm worried about the cars behind me that can't stop as fast plowing into my car.

at least it becomes their fault lol.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I recently changed from the stock brembo rotors/pads to Girodisc front rotors and magic pads, can not believe how much of a difference they made.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
So update.
The telemetry/accelerometer from my last "spirited" driving showed 1.05 left, 1.11 Right, .86 brake .80 accel. After the brake swap my G force on the car went to 1.17. That is significant... actually gave me a stomach ache on 3 stops.

For 90% of us that do not do more than a 20 minute track session or go much beyond a max performance summer, the stock brake setup with the right pads should be sufficient. I was going to go Brembo, but they are not much bigger (if at all) and with the right pads the stock calipers are decent. I will spend the money on a BMR watts link instead when they come out...LOL

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I also have a non brembo GT. but was surprised how well the car brakes (now that i have much better tires). I had the stock premium 5 spoke 19s on the stock pirelli tires. Im now on michelin pss 265/35/19 & 295/30/20.
I have more confidence late braking and slow down even better. I do plan on going with brembos up front, i already have a set of 13.8" gt500 brakes for the back (NOT installed yet).

Going back to what youve said op, the general consensus with the cars or cars in general for the track, are better pads and a fluid swap at minimum.
Ive read some reports that the stock non brembo is useless and will overheat/explode.

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
I also have a non brembo GT. but was surprised how well the car brakes (now that i have much better tires). I had the stock premium 5 spoke 19s on the stock pirelli tires. Im now on michelin pss 265/35/19 & 295/30/20.
I have more confidence late braking and slow down even better. I do plan on going with brembos up front, i already have a set of 13.8" gt500 brakes for the back (NOT installed yet).

Going back to what youve said op, the general consensus with the cars or cars in general for the track, are better pads and a fluid swap at minimum.
Ive read some reports that the stock non brembo is useless and will overheat/explode.

I think part of the stock non Brembos holding up or not with upgrades really depends on the driver during a track day. so people are really hard on the brakes and others not so much, but if you are building a serious track day car or auto X-ing a lot the Brembos are a minimum requirement. still I wouldn't feel comfortable with the standard GT brakes, especially since I can reach the limit of my current setup on the back roads by my house, my fluid needs to be flushed again and its only 3 months old but has seen a lot of hard braking.

Users who are viewing this thread