Wow, Addicted!!!!

Gonz

Established Member
That must have been the last Saturday session. Right before they called us to stage I pulled my calipers and saw nothing but backing plate. By the time I had new pads in, I had just enough time to take one lap and bed the pads and then the cool down lap so I missed 90% of the session.

I'm almost certain it was the third run session on Sunday. I'd have to double check the tape, but I don't recall going out to Turn6 on Saturday.

Since my group was next to grid, I didn't stay out there except the first 15 minutes of the session.

G

Ken88GT

Established Member
I have a subscription to GRM, but I guess they could continue it for a longer time. After thinking it over, I'd be silly to pass up Mid Ohio, huh? I will probably make that my 2nd track experience. It's close enough and it is a world class track from what I hear.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I have a subscription to GRM, but I guess they could continue it for a longer time. After thinking it over, I'd be silly to pass up Mid Ohio, huh? I will probably make that my 2nd track experience. It's close enough and it is a world class track from what I hear.

Yes it is! Especially in a car! I used to race bikes there, and we had to ride around the epoxy patches in the turns. :nonono:

That blind exit is tricky.

I called a performance shop today in Gaithersburg about having a set of gears put in. Once they added up gears $200 + install $550 :dw: + bearings & shims it came out to $850. FOr that money, I could have a roll bar & harness installed, and I'd rather make sure I'm safe before I try to go faster.

Have to do some searching for a more reasonable quote as I could almost get a brand new axle assembly for that money.

Doug likely pointed you towards the Waldorf area. There's also a great guy in Silver Spring if that's closer. They're both great mechanics and either one would be worth your time getting to know.

03'Darin

Established Member
My last vids:

Did anybody run in Group Advanced 1 ?
Here's a look from Turn 6.

I did. I'm the blue, white and red fox body Mustang (old AS race car). Being an instructor I was allowed to run in both A1 and A2. Since it was the first time out that the car didn't have issues I ran as much as I could to shake the car down. So I got TONS of track time. Couple that with instructing in novice and a couple of times in intermediate and I was beat by the end of Sunday (of course Friday and Saturday nights idn't have anything to do with it either :dw:).

Thanks for the vids everyone!

Gonz

Established Member
Doug likely pointed you towards the Waldorf area. There's also a great guy in Silver Spring if that's closer. They're both great mechanics and either one would be worth your time getting to know.

Sure did. That's about 60 miles away. I'll call him if I can't find someone a little closer.

I'm in the Columbia/Jessup area, just up Rte 29 from Silver Spring.
Let me know if you can recommend someone. I'm doing NASA Hyperfest in late June and would love to ditch the 2.73s by then :rolling:

Gonzalo.

SVT_KY

Established Member
Ken:
Vettes ARE fast. Fortunately for us Mustang guys, 97% of their drivers are slow!!! :lol::pepper:

:thumbsup: :coolman::beer:

HEH HEH HEH ... Ain't it the truth, Ain't it the Truth !!!

Peter%20and%20Me.JPG

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

SVT_KY

Established Member
Long Story ... 1 1/2 YEARS it took ...

Tensioner failed on the Lightning boring it's way through the front engine cover and then shredding and depositing the entire belt piece by piece into the oil pan.

P1040347T.jpg

I have more pics, but you prolly get the gist of the problem from that one.

Searched around and chose Modular Depot to rebuild the engine. It's a Bishoff Engine (BES) and it is sweet.

Here's the sequence:

Engine Rebuild

But there were issues. No oil pressure !!! When I ran at Gingerman last September,
I had 35 #'s that dropped to 0 when at idle. Turns out the Galley plugs were left out of the lower end.
(First time evar happened according to Bishoff)
Then there was this terrible "ticking" noise that has been there since the Git Go.

Turns out after many months of diagnosing Ken and Bishoff discovered that the Valve Guides in the FRP heads
were "OVAL" (Wow!) and of course there wasn't any warranty on that. Ken was gracious enough to
replace all that and I hear the only remaining issue is a rough idel on cold start (Supposedly for the first 10 secs or
so.) Ken is supposed to call me today to arrange to get the truck back to me.

Most all of the issues were not with Ken or MD or Bishoff,
they are the Standard "If it's gonna happen it will happen to Cliff" stuff. Also, Nancye and Mike and all the peeps at MD are top notch. :)

Anyhow ... Starting now until December, I will be at most events that I can drive too.

Hope to see y'all On-Track !!!

Cliff:rockon::rockon::rockon:

PS ... I think we are gonna come out with a great performer. I think we are at 460 HP at the moment.
Pulls like a draft horse !!! < Very Strong>

Maybe now I can PSS Peter !!! LOL

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Wow, I didn't see anything in my owner's manual about keeping the belt out of the oil pan.
Are you sure that was the problem? :poke:

As horrible as something like that is, at least you are coming out of it with something better.
Sometimes thats what it takes (I got my Canton pan because I crushed my stock one on a jump).

I hope you can make a Summit Point or VIR this year. If not, maybe the next Mountaineer Madness.

Enjoy the new ride! :D

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Maybe now I can PSS Peter !!! LOL

Hey Cliff:

Long time, no hear from! :-D Hope you're coming out to Gingerman in July for the SVTOA event!?

Don't be so sure about passing Peter. Peter learned how to drive in a Mustang. Then he defected to the Darkside. So now we have a guy that learned how to drive "the hard way" in a car that practically drives itself. Well, you get the gist! ;-):poke::p

Hope to see you again soon!! I have some Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout for you and John to try!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread