Would you port Gen 1 heads or pick up Gen 2 heads?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I'm doing a Coyote swap, so the motor is out of the car. I'm using a 2014 F-150 motor, and will be pulling the intake as soon as I get the motor on a stand to verify if I have Gen1 or Gen2 heads.

I'm building a high-effort N/A 6R80 setup. I'm planning for worse case scenario of having Gen1 heads. While the motor is out, I'm considering either porting the Gen1 heads, and upgrading the valvesprings... or just picking up a set of Gen2 heads.

Would the Gen1 ported heads outperform the stock Gen2 heads in a 485-500-ish rwhp N/A setup?

noldevin

Established Member
I'd say it depends how crazy you would get with your port job. If you're going the extra mile and doing bigger valves, etc, then the ported ones will be better. If you're just doing a mild less expensive port then I'd guess the Gen 2 heads would be better.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Livernois worked Gen 1s will outperform as-cast Gen 2s. I'd have to know the costs of each option to have a real opinion.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
Livernois is still running their cnc port special pricing... $999.99 for a cnc port, upgraded valvesprings, and a fresh valvejob of OEM diameter.

Takeoff Gen 2 heads seem to sell for $800-ish. Pretty similar price in the grand scheme of things. One small benefit of these are the Gen 2 13mm exhaust cams (if I can use them with my Gen 1 timing components)

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Livernois worked Gen 1s will outperform as-cast Gen 2s. I'd have to know the costs of each option to have a real opinion.

Very true, as of right now we can do a customer's heads for $999.99 for the job mentioned below.

Livernois is still running their cnc port special pricing... $999.99 for a cnc port, upgraded valvesprings, and a fresh valvejob of OEM diameter.

Takeoff Gen 2 heads seem to sell for $800-ish. Pretty similar price in the grand scheme of things. One small benefit of these are the Gen 2 13mm exhaust cams (if I can use them with my Gen 1 timing components)

I guess we should ask, what are the end goals with the build? Depending on the goals you might be past the capacity of the stock heads with the CNC system as it is.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
thanks for chiming in...

the car being swapped is a 2004 Mustang GT. I want to get as close to 500 rwhp N/A as possible, so I know I'll be revving it. GT350 intake (due to hood clearance in the New Edge or else I'd get a CJ), L&M intake cams, (possibly) Boss 302R 13mm exhaust cams, ARH longtubes, stalled 6R80, on 93 Octane pump gas. Just because Ethanol is still very scarce locally to me.

Car is more strip/street than street/strip. We like to drag race. Will likely end up with a 125-ish shot of nitrous a couple years down the road. I'd like to see if I can run 10's N/A first.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
i am swapping to 15+ heads, no question.

a bowl blend, back cut, undercut stainless valves and i find it hard to believe that most cnc 11-14 heads can match it. sand roll the ports a little to fix the sand casting. thats all i will do. a person will gain about 11-14 cfm at low lift just from the valves. ive seen an amateur sand roll gain 7 cfm in a b head 4v.

just a few cfm over stock 15+ is enough. mill it .025. done. if the 15 heads do in fact match boss heads, most cnc heads will fall behind pocket ported revalved 15+ heads imo.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
thanks for chiming in...

the car being swapped is a 2004 Mustang GT. I want to get as close to 500 rwhp N/A as possible, so I know I'll be revving it. GT350 intake (due to hood clearance in the New Edge or else I'd get a CJ), L&M intake cams, (possibly) Boss 302R 13mm exhaust cams, ARH longtubes, stalled 6R80, on 93 Octane pump gas. Just because Ethanol is still very scarce locally to me.

Car is more strip/street than street/strip. We like to drag race. Will likely end up with a 125-ish shot of nitrous a couple years down the road. I'd like to see if I can run 10's N/A first.

No problem, I would recommend going to the Pro Series heads in this case. Just for the security blanket for Nitrous if nothing else.

vortecd

Established Member
If you want to use the stock heads as cores ($500 core charge for both), you can buy new gen 2 heads for $1,000

Myself I'm going to port my stock heads

corysmach1

Established Member
Since there seems to be some knowledgeable guys in here I will ask and hopefully this helps the OP as well. I have a FBO Ported CJ setup with stage 3 NA Cams on E85. I am trying to go as fast as possible. I am having a serious problem with the cams reverting to 0 if I touch the limiter in between shifts. Super annoying. So as of now I am contemplating locking the cams out and porting the heads. I want the absolute best heads! I wanna make as much power as possible. The car is a 2013 BTW so what would be the best route for heads?

Users who are viewing this thread