Would you move back in with your parents to save money if you had a family?

Would you move back in with your parents?

• Do it for the $$$

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Only losers live with their parents

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
My wife and mother have been throwing this idea around the past few weeks and I'm starting to give it some thought. I bought my current house when I was 24 and didn't really take things into account like school district, house/yard size, etc. I was just more worried about having a place of my own and a garage to wrench on my cars in.

Fast forward 5 years and I now have a 1 year old. The town I live in isn't the ghetto or anything but as anyone with kids knows, you want the best for them and there are a few other school districts in the area I'd rather he be in when he starts school. Also, we have a little 6k sqft subdivision lot so it's not much room to play or do much of anything. The original plan was to sell in a few years and just upgrade to a bigger house at that time. Now the plan would be to sell our current house now and move in with them in order to bank what we would normally spend on mortgage/taxes/insurance/util/etc. It would be a decent little chunk of money if we did it for a couple years.

At this point, I'm not really finding any downsides other than having to share a home with my mother again but I did that for almost 19 years anyway.

Could you swallow your pride and move back in with the 'rents to bank some $$$ for a future home purchase?

Blackness03

Established Member
i'm spending almost $1000 a month for an apartment. the lease is almost up and i'm seriously thinking about doing the same thing until i can save up a down payment for the house i want. i moved out 3 years ago when i bought my first house with the ex but sold that, been on my own since then.

i dont know if i could go back. it would be tough but would be able to save money fast. im single with no kids...it would be much easier for me to do it then you

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
If my parents house was big enough yeah I could do it. But if I thought me and the wife would feel cramped, at all, I would say no.

EDIT:
And I think the poll is wrong. Don't do it for the $$$, do it for your kid and his/her future!

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
id agree if theres enough room to still do your own thing then its possible otherwise I'd go insane. Love my mom to death but anything more than a weekend there and I just start going nuts

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
If my parents house was big enough yeah I could do it. But if I thought me and the wife would feel cramped, at all, I would say no.

EDIT:
And I think the poll is wrong. Don't do it for the $$$, do it for your kid and his/her future!

I don't think being cramped would be an issue. Her house is plenty big enough and we've already had a trial run at this so to speak. After my mom got divorced a few years back, she moved from TN down here to Austin and lived with us for like 8 months until she could get things settled and find a house of her own. We really didn't have any problems then.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I don't know man. I know 2 people who did this with their wives and both ended up in divorce shortly after. I'd stay on my own.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
depends how long you're talking on saving money......I had to move in with my mom after my divorce and i lost everything, luckily few months later with some good fortune and my VA loan I got into a house. Love my mom to death but man.....if i heard "this is my house' one more damn time.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
i voted yes but i was not in the situation you are in. i was about to get married quite a few years back and found out my fiance had cheated on me with an entire town(quite literally). so i ended it quick and moved back in with my dad and it helped me square my situation out pretty damn good and am now engaged to someone who treats me great and we now have a townhouse together and are about to get married in october(2 year engagement).

i would say as long as you set a date to move back out and that they agree. dont make it to where you are living on them. maybe split the bills with them or help them with stuff to make the burden a bit less than it is. the one good thing is they get to spend more time with their granddaughter or grandson more than ever and i bet that would make them very happy, also you and wifey can take date nights more often.

good luck with everything and i hope you figure out the situation.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Absolutely.

Its more common nowadays than ever.

Shit happens. People are winding up in these situations totally out of their control. I know people with $100k+ in student debt from going to school for jobs that at the time were plentiful and $75k+ easy that now they almost dont even exist and if they do they're $35-40k and barely enough to afford making payments on said loans, let alone rent, vehicle insurance or even a car payment.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Not with a family of your own. Will get old fast

Sent with my Massive Johnson

mustrans

Established Member
Hey man do what you gotta do. Just worry about what's more important for your family. If i was you I would. Just save up ASAP and get another place that better suits your family. Hey she's your mom, no cookin like moms!!!! Just clean your room lol.

ssssnake

Established Member
I'll give you a mother's point of view......NO, and no, and no. Not again.

My son and his wife (and their 3 kids) have lived with me several times, and I've lived with them once. NO. I love my grandchildren, but not again. I like to keep my money, my furniture, my clothes, and anything else of value I have. I don't want their shit, which is still at my house after 5 years. They take it away, they bring it back.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I'll give you a mother's point of view......NO, and no, and no. Not again.

My son and his wife (and their 3 kids) have lived with me several times, and I've lived with them once. NO. I love my grandchildren, but not again. I like to keep my money, my furniture, my clothes, and anything else of value I have. I don't want their shit, which is still at my house after 5 years. They take it away, they bring it back.

LMAO,

Never saw this point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread