Would you move back in with your parents to save money if you had a family?

Would you move back in with your parents?

• Do it for the $$$

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Only losers live with their parents

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
What kind of tax issues would I run into? I had thought of putting it up for rent but didn't want to take the chance in someone tearing up the house and then I have to sink a bunch of $$$ in it making repairs before selling it.
if you are careful about who you rent to i.e. preferably married couple with 1 or fewer kids, a no four legged pet rule, birds and snakes MUST be in cages, and do an "inspection" once a quarter you can avoid most of the rental nightmares. check out references thoroughly and make sure they have stable employment.

As far as tax issues you may not have any, the capital gains tax laws have changed since I last sold a house. so they may not be any at all.
This conversation originally started from me talking with my wife about us selling the house and getting an apt so that when we found a house, we could be in a position to buy right away and not have the added stress of trying to sell our current house at the same time. My mother is the one who suggested instead of getting an apt, just move in with them and save that money. She refused the idea of taking rent but I would still give her $$$ to cover utilities.

Right now she watches my son during the day and she gives me grief when I give her money for that :bash:
LOL if she is already watching your son during the day it is a bonus. One thing you can do is make a deal with her that if she won't accept any rent, she has to let you hire a maid service to come in once or twice a month to do a good cleaning, to take some of the burden off of her. then do some other things for her like taking her out to dinner a few times a month. sometimes it's the little things you can to that she will enjoy and not look at it as you paying her rent.

to be honest from what you say I would probably take her up on it. but I would rent the house out if you can get enough rent for it to cover your house payment. Like my father says "God aint makin no more dirt" and once you buy some, if there is any way possible, you should hang on to it.

The other thing about renting it is that if something happens and it just doesn't work you have a home to go back to and don't have to throw money away on rent.

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Dad is a control freak and everything has to be PERFECT every minute of every day or he's not happy. no dishes in the sink, no shoes left in the livingroom, no wet towels in the bathroom, and god forbid you use one of his tools and don't put it back 20 seconds after you're finished with it.

If I weren't black and you weren't racist we could be brothers lol, that's my dad to a tee.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I would definitely do it easily. Times are pretty hard now a days and some folks need to learn to muster it up and do what's best. Though, i understand the whole "My house, my rules" thing. Also, i think alot of it has to do with your background. To my understanding Americans are more "As soon as you're out, you're out" whereas may foreigners are more family-bound or close-knit

Sprayed2v

Established Member
This shouldn't be a poll imo. every one is different and has different views on the situation. Do what u feel needs to be done. If u think everything will go fine then do it. Just know that there will be stress on the relationship prob.

jbs$

Established Member
As a Southerner, a multi-generational housewhole is a common experience. Also, being older than most of you, I see this question from the other side and I have alot of experience with the issue.

If you do go home again, go in as an adult and pull your own weight. This does not have to be financial, cut the grass, help with the clean up and repairs. Once you move in, you are no longer a guest, don't act like one.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
The stigma of moving back in with your parents is as ridiculous as the "going to the movies alone is for losers" garbage. As long as there is plenty of room and it is for the greater good, there is absolutely no problem with it.

+1

This really is case by case. I would have no problem with it if I was actually working towards a goal. But my parents are great.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Yeah, I think we're going forward with it. I'll swallow my pride for a bit to save up a nice chunk to put down towards our next place. Short term sacrifice = long term gain.

Users who are viewing this thread