Would you move back in with your parents to save money if you had a family?

Would you move back in with your parents?

• Do it for the $$$

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Only losers live with their parents

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
My husband and I and our (then) newborn twins lived with my parents for 5 months before we moved 200 miles for me to finish school. We had to get out of our apartment when the twins were born and we knew we would be moving at the end of the year so we decided to save some money. It was hell. My mom is very overbearing and treats me like I'm 12. We couldn't get out of there quick enough. I would only do it again out of extreme desperation.

Planter

Banned
Have a great relationship with my folks, but there's no way in hell I'm ever moving back home. we just don't get along under the same roof when we live together. Dad is a control freak and everything has to be PERFECT every minute of every day or he's not happy. no dishes in the sink, no shoes left in the livingroom, no wet towels in the bathroom, and god forbid you use one of his tools and don't put it back 20 seconds after you're finished with it. no, no and more no.

Adiabatik

Banned
The stigma of moving back in with your parents is as ridiculous as the "going to the movies alone is for losers" garbage. As long as there is plenty of room and it is for the greater good, there is absolutely no problem with it.

96project

Established Member
I would do it before I let my family live on the street. But, if there was any way not to then I wouldn't. I guess pride is important to me. My parents have always been there for me if I need anything, (and are very well off) but I never ask them for anything. I'd rather eat a peanut butter sandwich then ask for a steak. If I was single, and couldn't find a roommate.. possibly. But you have a family, I would find a cheap apartment and save the difference and if it takes twice as long then so be it. You'll know you did it by yourself and took care of your family. But thats just me.. I tend to do things the hard way.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
im buying an old pickup truck and an air mattress or tenting it under the local highway overpass before I ever move back in with my parents.

Love them. they are good parents.

but definitely no. never.

same with the wife's parents too.

I would lose my mind in about a week.

ssssnake

Established Member
Have a great relationship with my folks, but there's no way in hell I'm ever moving back home. we just don't get along under the same roof when we live together. Dad is a control freak and everything has to be PERFECT every minute of every day or he's not happy. no dishes in the sink, no shoes left in the livingroom, no wet towels in the bathroom, and god forbid you use one of his tools and don't put it back 20 seconds after you're finished with it. no, no and more no.

See. When my home is clean, I am at peace. I have one door off of a bedroom, both closet doors off. My daughter-in-law is a pig. She refuses to rinse off dishes and put in the dishwasher. She doesn't wash clothes - they are everywhere in their rooms. They use bath towels once, then toss on the floor, They have no respect for my things at all. I hide my tools from my son, as he HAS all of his, mine, and any one else's he can get. I've helped because my husband's parents let us live with them - for 2 months once and 6 months the last time. But this is way too much. They're not living with me now - THANK GOD, but their shit still is.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
We did the reverse. Got a big 2800 sq ft house and my father moved in with us. He pays $600 a month towards the mortgage, buys all his own groceries, etc. He hangs out at home during the day, then at night he usually goes out to his local places. It's a nice arrangement.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I couldn't do it, love my rents but even a weekend is tough in the house with my wife and dogs. Her parents, hell no.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ssssnake

Established Member
We did the reverse. Got a big 2800 sq ft house and my father moved in with us. He pays $600 a month towards the mortgage, buys all his own groceries, etc. He hangs out at home during the day, then at night he usually goes out to his local places. It's a nice arrangement.

LOL How old's your dad? :p

ViciousJay

Established Member
only for a short time say like a month (example if i were buying a home again or moving somewhere) other then that HELL TO THE NO!

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I have been on both ends of this issue now and I agree with sssssnake, it is too difficult. My kids have all moved out, but if they needed a place to keep them off the street, they have a place. That being said, I'd be pushing to get them back n their feet as soon as possible. What you need to ask yourself is this: If I tell Mom that we are saving money to buy a house and I go and buy frivolous things (in her mind), will she be pissed? I know I woud be. I love my kids, but they are messy and I have gotten used to walking around naked, so I don't want them back home. Besides, there is more satisfaction to doing something on your own.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
In your case; you have to do what is best for your family. Times are tough as they say. Its not something you'd want to do, but it'll help the family in the long run. IF, IF, IF your folks are ok with it, then go for it.

I'd likely give them a plan of when youre moving in/out, what bills you will help with. If they want to pay for everything, I'd INSIST that you help pay for things. It'll help me know you're not a mooch! ...no one likes a mooch, lol.

I myself am in a financial crunch right now.....moving in with a family member has been on my mind as well. There is no shame in it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Depends on the size of her house, how well everyone gets along now, how responsible is your wife in getting things done, and there being some hard and fast delineation of chores. I am assuming that you will be paying her some nominal rent and at least a portion of the bills. You should also preferably have some private space other than the bedroom as well.

I had to live with my inlaws for awhile due to some health iss use my wife had. Don't think I would do it again. Remember too that if you sell now and move in with her without buying something else there will be some tax implications. Have you thought about renting your place while you are living with her? It would give you more equity and tax breaks if you can

My wife and mother have been throwing this idea around the past few weeks and I'm starting to give it some thought. I bought my current house when I was 24 and didn't really take things into account like school district, house/yard size, etc. I was just more worried about having a place of my own and a garage to wrench on my cars in.

Fast forward 5 years and I now have a 1 year old. The town I live in isn't the ghetto or anything but as anyone with kids knows, you want the best for them and there are a few other school districts in the area I'd rather he be in when he starts school. Also, we have a little 6k sqft subdivision lot so it's not much room to play or do much of anything. The original plan was to sell in a few years and just upgrade to a bigger house at that time. Now the plan would be to sell our current house now and move in with them in order to bank what we would normally spend on mortgage/taxes/insurance/util/etc. It would be a decent little chunk of money if we did it for a couple years.

At this point, I'm not really finding any downsides other than having to share a home with my mother again but I did that for almost 19 years anyway.

Could you swallow your pride and move back in with the 'rents to bank some $$$ for a future home purchase?

RDWHINE

Terminator
Established Member
I'm only 20 and haven't moved out yet...I work on a boat for 22 days out of the month so there is no reason why I should get my own place when I'm never home. Saves me a great amount of money to live with my parents for right now until I start a family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coiled03

Established Member
Just to save a few extra bucks? Nope.....no way in hell.

The only way I'd consider it is if the choices were do that, or we live on the streets.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Only if you absolutely have to, ie: you are homeless otherwise.

You, however, should sit down and have a serious talk with the wife about saving every extra cent you can to put you in position to buy something sooner. I'm talking no more car mods, no more manicures/pedicures, no more vacations, no more nights out drinking, no more smartphone data plans, no more $200 jeans, etc.

Set aside $100 a month to go out to dinner or drinking or movies to stay sane.

It won't be easy, but you can make it happen and besides that, home prices have pretty much bottomed out. If you sell now, you might not get what you can in a few years.

Last edited:

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Depends on the size of her house, how well everyone gets along now, how responsible is your wife in getting things done, and there being some hard and fast delineation of chores. I am assuming that you will be paying her some nominal rent and at least a portion of the bills. You should also preferably have some private space other than the bedroom as well.

I had to live with my inlaws for awhile due to some health iss use my wife had. Don't think I would do it again. Remember too that if you sell now and move in with her without buying something else there will be some tax implications. Have you thought about renting your place while you are living with her? It would give you more equity and tax breaks if you can

What kind of tax issues would I run into? I had thought of putting it up for rent but didn't want to take the chance in someone tearing up the house and then I have to sink a bunch of $$$ in it making repairs before selling it.

This conversation originally started from me talking with my wife about us selling the house and getting an apt so that when we found a house, we could be in a position to buy right away and not have the added stress of trying to sell our current house at the same time. My mother is the one who suggested instead of getting an apt, just move in with them and save that money. She refused the idea of taking rent but I would still give her $$$ to cover utilities.

Right now she watches my son during the day and she gives me grief when I give her money for that :bash:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
And I think the poll is wrong. Don't do it for the $$$, do it for your kid and his/her future!
THIS!

I did it almost three years ago. Work went to crap, my Cobra was getting fixed and had a big bill for it, had only one car so gas was becoming a huge factor. Got to a point where I would struggle to put food on a plate.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice for a bigger brighter future. Family comes first for me, if that's what it takes you to have a house, I would go for it. It'll more than pay off in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread