Would you do it again?

NinjaBum

Established Member
Well if I didn't do my time in the Army I would never have met my wife or the small handful of friends I have from my time there. I also don't know that I would have stayed in college or applied myself like I am now with my attitude as a teenager without knowing the alternative.

Now if I could do it all over again and magically wind up at this juncture with these personal relationships I would go to school first, probably do Navy ROTC and go into the Navy as an officer like everyone told me to as several of my uncles were naval officers as well as my cousins.

Maybe if I went that route I wouldn't have to take breaks from doing things as simple as sorting personnel files or riding my motorcycle due to my horrible back pain flaring up.

I met some of the greatest people during my time in the Army and I met the absolute lowest most opportunistic pieces of shit humanity has to offer. I find often the military attracts either the most honorable driven individuals or the dregs of society.

I am doing my best to use it as a learning experience. The military is most of the time what YOU make of it. Maybe I didn't exercise as many of my opportunities as I could have, but at least it is now paying for my school so I don't get to add to my wife's student loans. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I graduate next spring, have a pretty good internship at a national lab lined up, 3.9 GPA, a roof over my head while going to school. Would I have been hired on to such a crazy internship without veterans preference? I dunno, I would hope that they could see what I had to offer either way but seeing the crazy number of intelligent students who apply for this place the pessimist in me says probably not.

All in all stuff is working out for the best so far. Seeing some of my friends back here from my time before sitting around working menial jobs making 19 or 20k a year if that, I think I could have wound up the same way. I would probably do it over again, just wish it wasn't so hard on my body.

NinjaBum

Established Member
LOL Hawaii, Alaska, Italy, Germany, England, Australia, Belgium, and many more places. But yes they do have some back woods lower 48 assignments, but I guess all services do. Maybe except the coast guard? I've seen some pretty sweet coasty stations.

My brother is in the coast guard and he is in Omaha Nebraska haha.

VaporGT

-
Established Member
Navy. Would do it again, but different branch and job. Been deployed a lot and seen/done some cool stuff, but its been 3% awesome and 97% boring and beuroctratic crap. Have a buddy in the 75th so I wish I would've gone that route. He has it at 10% awesome and ONLY 90% crap!

Regulars520

Established Member
I did 15 years (4yrs USMC,11yrs Army) then forced to retire after wounds I received in Iraq. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would go back tomorrow if they would let me. I had the best damn job in the Military!!!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
9+yrs active so far in the Coast Guard. I've loved every minute of it except the last 2 years at this current unit.. It's a struggle but I'm working through it.. 2 more to go and I transfer. Looking to do 20 and get out :)

evolve

Established Member
Im happy with my career thus far. With my beautiful supportive wife whom I met in "A"school aka Navy tech school... Went from E1 to Chief (E7) in 9yrs and at 11yrs commissioned as an Ensign under the Limited Duty Officer program. #Mustang :)

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Im happy with my career thus far. With my beautiful supportive wife whom I met in "A"school aka Navy tech school... Went from E1 to Chief (E7) in 9yrs and at 11yrs commissioned as an Ensign under the Limited Duty Officer program. #Mustang :)

Thanks for your service and congrats on the LDO appointment. The Mustang Officer's (LDO/CWO) were always the go-to guys for tech info.

VaporGT

-
Established Member

Oh the old A-School love story... Good to see you guys have stayed together through it all!

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Hell yes I would've done it again. 12 years Air Force right now (2 x AD and 10 x TXANG), been on Title 10 activation in the Guard since 2008. Finally got a civilian job that starts next month so I'll finish out my 20 as a Traditional (weekender). Only thing I would change is to finish my BS in Aeronautics sooner, I started at Embry Riddle in 2009 and still have a few classes to go.

Fuerza

Established Member
Way back in the beginning I was in the delayed entry program. I was supposed to leave right out of high school. Long story short I failed a semester of English and didn't graduate on time. I had to do 6 weeks in summer school. I missed my entry date and my contract was canceled. I did join 7 months later in January of 97. If I could go back and do it again I would have buckled down and done my school work and shipped out.

I would do it again. The Army has been good to me, I've made mistakes from the beginning as you can see. They have always welcomed me back, then and during my service break.

jojomofo21

Twin Screw Yourself
Established Member
Just hit 15 years as an Army Infantryman and I was thinking the same thing the other day. If I could go back knowing what I know now, I would sign up to be an intelligence analyst and try and get a language skill. Then I would apply to be in a SOF group and work for them.

When it comes to enlisting and doing it all over from day one in today's America, I would certainly not.

Users who are viewing this thread