Would you do it again?

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
25 years Naval Aviation maintenece, jet engine mechanic and maintenence chief. I would do it again, met some good people and had fun. Now I'm a civil servant working away.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I just hit 14 years and joining the USAF was the best decision I ever made. I wish I would of traveled more but with my current job I get to go TDY often so its a plus. With all of the added benefits its hard to not stay in the military. I am working on my degree and its not costing me a penny, I will be able to give my GI Bill to my kids and most of their education will be free. So to answer your question yes I would do it again!!

Tacky03

Established Member
Coming up on 15 years in the Army as an 11B. I would definitely do it all over again. I have met great people, been to crazy places and seen things I never imagined. Good and bad...

SVT4ME

Established Member
SVTME, what was your career field? I'm in the same boat, 2 tours in RHS and a few in CE and I HATE CE, the civilians and the limited scope of work is a killer once you've been in the Horse. You mention mobile comm so I'm guessing power pro or electrical? Structures troop here.

Neither, I was HVAC. We had ACID vans (air control interdiction) that were mobile radar stations. The equipment generated tons of heat and it needed to be cooled. That's where I came in. We had power pro, liquid fuels and HVAC only. I did do SABER while in CE and that got me into Red Horse.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Neither, I was HVAC. We had ACID vans (air control interdiction) that were mobile radar stations. The equipment generated tons of heat and it needed to be cooled. That's where I came in. We had power pro, liquid fuels and HVAC only. I did do SABER while in CE and that got me into Red Horse.

Ahh nice.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Yes I would.

I would have made some different choices though. I would've not been such a PITA during my first year and not been too lazy to try out for Scout Sniper or Force Recon. I feel like I let myself down because I didn't push myself to the limit.

Last edited:

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I'm steadily approaching 19 yrs in, and it got me thinking. If you could go back to the day you raised your right hand, would you do it again?

I was smart enough to join the Air Force so all in all I can't complain, sure I'd make some different decisions along the way but all in all I'm happy with the decision to serve my country. The travel, pay, and benefits are just added bonuses lol.

depends.

knowing how i was treated, hell no. i wont bore you with my entire service history, suffice it to say that i had extremely terrible supervisors, shop chiefs, and supervision. all of whom where more concerned for themselves than anyone else.

i served under a racist, sexist, adultering E-9 who exploited his rank for person gain.
i served under an officer who was busted for conspiring/hiring a paid hitman to murder his wife.
i worked for a sexual harassing shop chief who threatened A1Cs careers.
worked for a supervisor that let an A1C take the fall for something he personally did.
worked for an officer who abused his GPC responsibilities for personal gains, repeatedly.

none of these people really got what they deserved. well, the first officer did. the other two got honorable discharges and sympathetic PCSs.

i did learn a bunch of great skills that have served me quite well after i palace chased out. the air force itself is a great thing. im not big in to the whole serving my country thing. its just not me. i respect other people who feel that way. when i was in, i did my job to the best of my abilities and i did my best to make sure the people under me were treated as fairly and equally as possible.

Jebadias

Established Member
You know I've actually been thinking about that a lot since I retired last month. Being with the fleet back in the Clinton administration was horrible in almost every sense of the word, and even the SeaBees are no longer fun with what has happened to them under the current administration. Even so the in between times were great. I met great people, visited neat places (and not so neat places) and did stuff that I would never be able to do had I not joined up. Knowing what I know now I definatly would make some different choices if I had it to do again but I think everyone can say that about thier life with the benifit of hindsight. I would definitely do it again.

mattaglover

2011 5.0
Established Member
The Marine Corps has been great. Shitty times too but im sure thats with any job. I would do it with the Marines again.

For the guys who have all the leadership complaints. Now that you are out, do you have problems at you current job also? There are always garbage people out there. For every one bad guy there are many more good guys. Just my opinion, take it however you want but you all know what type a vaginas im talking about.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
I would have joined the Navy...Air Force has some lame assignments in the middle of no where USA

LOL Hawaii, Alaska, Italy, Germany, England, Australia, Belgium, and many more places. But yes they do have some back woods lower 48 assignments, but I guess all services do. Maybe except the coast guard? I've seen some pretty sweet coasty stations.

truefiveo

Established Member
LOL Hawaii, Alaska, Italy, Germany, England, Australia, Belgium, and many more places. But yes they do have some back woods lower 48 assignments, but I guess all services do. Maybe except the coast guard? I've seen some pretty sweet coasty stations.

My 6 year AF career was....Goodfellow Middle of no where Texas...desert....desert...Barksdale middle of no where Louisiana...desert...desert.....THE END!

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
No I do not think I would. I do not regret anywhere my career has taken me so far, but if I could go back knowing what I know now I would just go to college.

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
Yes but just to satisfy the what if but I wouldn't have taken this assignment and continued knowing what I know now. If I was smarter I would have picked up on the hints being dropped by the SOF guy I worked with a lot in Afghanistan when he was asking what I wanted to do next and said that I wanted to be like him instead of saying that the AF had already figured out my next job for me. Or I would have punched as soon as I could have like I was originally planning to and hit up some of my contractor friends to get me some gainful employment. I've learned some great skills and worked with some truly amazing people but the more I think about it there's absolutely no way that I'm cut out for a 20 year career as an AF Officer. I enjoy serving, leading people, getting to wear the uniform, and making a difference but pretty much everything else is slowly killing me. If I was really smart I would have started out enlisted so I could get a few years in toward retirement and then cross over so I could retire as a Captain or Major before any of the really political bullshit happens.

Planter

Banned
yes I would do it again....BUT...it wouldn't be the Army. If I had it to do all over again, it would be the Air Force or the Navy.

Users who are viewing this thread