Would you do it again?

Ponyracer1

Established Member
I'm steadily approaching 19 yrs in, and it got me thinking. If you could go back to the day you raised your right hand, would you do it again?

I was smart enough to join the Air Force so all in all I can't complain, sure I'd make some different decisions along the way but all in all I'm happy with the decision to serve my country. The travel, pay, and benefits are just added bonuses lol.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I just finished my 5 years. I would certainly do it again but I would go out for sof instead.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Best decision I ever made was to join the USAF. Did my 4yrs and got out but it paved the path for where I am today.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Enlisted out of high school, did 5 + and got out. Joined the reserves, started a 4 year apprenticeship, and a job. After 16 months, decided to go back in & finish my 20........................that was the best decision I ever made.
If I got a do-over, I'd skip the broken service, but would serve again ! ( Navy retired )

Ponyracer1

Established Member
LOL Ya I punched early at 3 yrs, went into the Air National Guard for 3 then came back active. I'd be retired now if I had just stayed in the first place!!

RSAGT500

Established Member
I'm coming up on 14 years Active duty Air Force and I would do it all over again. Only thing I would change is that I should've stayed overseas when I had the chance. It's a PIA getting back over or even just getting out of where I am now to another stateside base.

Last edited:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I don't have nearly the time in service as many of you and I'm on the O side of the house, but it's easily the best decision I ever made and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
I wish I would've joined sooner. I spent 3 years dicking around after high school pretending I was gonna get somewhere in college. I love what I do now.

Lobo_Loco

La Mera Vena
Established Member
i would definitely do it again...went straight out of high school....did 4.5 in the Marines and loved it even though i deployed 3 times to Iraq within my first enlistment....only reason i got out was because of my old g/f....which we broke up a month after i got out...i want ed to go back in afterwards but i guess the recruiter didnt take me serious so i started school and haven't looked back, but i do miss those days

saleensc281

Established Member
No, and based on the current affairs of both the Army and todays leaders, glad Im retiring in less then 3 years. Anyone joining today, I would say take is as a last resort option.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Would definitely do again. Wish I had worked on my degree during the first 10 in instead of the last 10 when I was deploying like crazy.

Nolan

Established Member
Seems to go this way on most forums I've been a part of over the years. The general consensus is somewhat split among the Marines and the Army. Among the Navy and Air Force, tends to be an almost unanimous "absolutely". Happens every time.

I was active Air Force from '01 until a few days prior to '12. Decided to punch at 10.5 years. I began defense contracting about 6 months after separation. Been doing that since.

If I could go back to 18 years old again and stand there with 135 puffed up pounds, lol, I absolutely would. I don't regret the Air Force one bit. Sometimes I wish I'd have got out in '07 after my first six year enlistment, as I'd have come downrange sooner- the money was huge out here back then (in Afg now). But, reenlisting was predicated upon taking a USAFE assignment (just north of Cambridge, England). Some of the best years of my life were spent in Europe in my 20's. Best deployment and best TDY's ever out of that unit, too.

So all in all, the Air Force set me up. I'm good for life, honestly. Being a career intel guy with experience all over the board means there's never a shortage of open doors, and I'm thankful for that. It's all worked out great.

"Semper Fly".
:lol:

SVT4ME

Established Member
Did my 20 in the Air Force and got out. I would do it again but would have tried harder at promotions, more over seas tours and loved Red Horse and Mobile Com and hated CE.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Yes but I would make a lot of different decisions if given a do over. Right now I'm kind of in the process of a do over. Going from enlisted to officer via ROTC. I hate nearly every second of it, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
I wish I would've joined the Air Force instead of the Army, only because aviation in the Army is a bit wonky. However, the Air Force messed up and didn't get the CH-47's.. I still think AF wins out

Ponyracer1

Established Member
Did my 20 in the Air Force and got out. I would do it again but would have tried harder at promotions, more over seas tours and loved Red Horse and Mobile Com and hated CE.

SVTME, what was your career field? I'm in the same boat, 2 tours in RHS and a few in CE and I HATE CE, the civilians and the limited scope of work is a killer once you've been in the Horse. You mention mobile comm so I'm guessing power pro or electrical? Structures troop here.

Users who are viewing this thread