Would you buy this "excuse"?

03blackvert

Established Member
Every now and then at a light a moron in some totally underpowered car will attempt to give it a go. The last for me (in my GT) was, get this, a geo metro. No shit, revved his engine and looked over at me with a big grin. It's also happened with a number of totally underpowered civics and similar cars.

Now, I understand street racing is a serious problem, and that technically busting on one of these lights might qualify. That said, if you pulled me over and I said "I was only at 75% throttle, how can that be racing" would you buy it? :lol: I mean, if you don't even need to floor it to beat someone it can't be racing, can it?

DeVus1

Established Member
Originally posted by 03blackvert
Every now and then at a light a moron in some totally underpowered car will attempt to give it a go. The last for me (in my GT) was, get this, a geo metro. No shit, revved his engine and looked over at me with a big grin. It's also happened with a number of totally underpowered civics and similar cars.

Now, I understand street racing is a serious problem, and that technically busting on one of these lights might qualify. That said, if you pulled me over and I said "I was only at 75% throttle, how can that be racing" would you buy it? :lol: I mean, if you don't even need to floor it to beat someone it can't be racing, can it?

Racing is defined as:

46.2-865. Racing; penalty.

Any person who engages in a race between two or more motor vehicles on the highways in the Commonwealth or on any driveway or premises of a church, school, recreational facility, or business property open to the public in the Commonwealth shall be guilty of reckless driving, unless authorized by the owner of the property or his agent. When any person is convicted of reckless driving under this section, in addition to any other penalties provided by law the driver's license of such person shall be suspended by the court for a period of not less than six months nor more than two years. In case of conviction the court shall order the surrender of the license to the court where it shall be disposed of in accordance with the provisions of § 46.2-398.

Obviously this is Va law, but its a general rule across the nation. If it is perceived that you have engaged another driver in a competition (even @75% throttle) you can be charged with this code.

03blackvert

Established Member
Yeah, but I'm sure a lot of it comes down to the cop. I remember a time I was in the far right lane at a light on a three lane highway. Being first in line I gave it a little punch when the light turned, just because I was a first. It wasn't 100% though, and I didn't even notice a Lexus GS430 in the far left lane who floored it and smoked me. After that he slowed down and pulled up next to me at the next light.

I didn't see him at the light, didn't know we were "racing" when we took off, but to a third party it sure could have looked like we were. That's a bit scary.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
To tell you the truth more depends on your attitude after you are pulled over. If you decide to be a smart ass and say "How could I be racing I only needed 75% throttle?" Your ass would get a 46.2-865 as well as a reckless ticket and most likely speeding.

If on the other hand you told to the truth and it made sense, most likely you would get a warning.

03blackvert

Established Member
An interesting question, do people often get pulled over for taking off from a stoplight quickly? My impression is the "racing" laws are applied almost all the time to more organized events. If you come across two people at light, who don't know each other (or at least, you believe their stories that they don't) and who's only "crime" was taking off quickly are you likely to charge them with racing (which often carries stiff penalties) or possibly just with speeding or something similar with lesser penalties?

DaveSVT03

Established Member
ok - I know this is a bit off topic, but it happened to me twice....

I was sitting first in the right laneat a light in my stang when an old style rx-7 pulled into the left lane. The was a cop at the light too, but stopped in the middle of the intersecting road and immediatelly to my right. Well mr. RX-7 didn't see the cop and started revving me. Not sure why, but I decided to get him going so I revved back thinking as long as I didn't race, no ticket. Well the light turns green and he takes off chirping his tires. I literally didn't move and the cop flipped on the lights and pulled out into my lane to chase him down and pull him over. I waved as I went buy, but I don't think he was looking at anything but the blue lights.

Had almost the exact same thing happen, but this time I was in the left lane and there was a cop directly behind me. The guy in the right lane was in a 71 chevell and he kept revving, but he was so drunk that he couldn't hold his head up. I didn't rev back, but he took off in a cloud of smoke. I didn't want to be anywhere near him, so I rolled out real slow. The cop rolled out and then switched lanes and took off lights going. Probably saved the dudes or someone elses life.

TurboEclipseGSX

Non Ricer
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
To tell you the truth more depends on your attitude after you are pulled over. If you decide to be a smart ass and say "How could I be racing I only needed 75% throttle?" Your ass would get a 46.2-865 as well as a reckless ticket and most likely speeding.

If on the other hand you told to the truth and it made sense, most likely you would get a warning.

thats so true, we got pulled over in dallas (driving a type r, i know honda :nonono: :p ) anyways I was driving and decided to race a gsr and got clocked going 120, I pulled over but the gsr kept going, the cop comes to my window and says how are you, i say good blah blah blah, and than he says you know why i pulled you over, i said yes sir i was street racing, and going over 100 most likely, he said yep, than said he has to chase that gsr and told me to have a good day and becareful :dw: :eek: i was like thank you sir, havent street raced ever since, (well only at my brothers house but we have 30 acres of pure nothing!!!)

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Had some middle-aged guy in a Cadillac try repeatedly to get me to open up my '03 Cobra, but I ignored him. Good thing, 'cause there was an unmarked car behind us who gave the Caddy driver a ticket. I will not street race. Seems like most of the time it's SUVs and pick-ups who want to race, and I never see them get pulled over.

Sinister Angel

Buh Bye !
Originally posted by harry gilbert
Had some middle-aged guy in a Cadillac try repeatedly to get me to open up my '03 Cobra, but I ignored him. Good thing, 'cause there was an unmarked car behind us who gave the Caddy driver a ticket. I will not street race. Seems like most of the time it's SUVs and pick-ups who want to race, and I never see them get pulled over.
Did it look like this car? If so, that was probably me :p
Only cobra i've raced is a Mystic

Actually, it wasn't really a race, cuz I chickened out.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by harry gilbert

As opposed to the "well middle age" guy in the 03 Cobra:D

Users who are viewing this thread