Would you buy a 2011 5.0 w/5000 miles?

Ronjon333

Established Member
Found a nice 5.0 with extremely low miles with the Brembo package. The asking price is mid 20’s, what do you think? My main concern about any year mustang from 2011-2019 is the whole engine tick issue. And with most having the tick rear it’s ugly head after the first oil change has got me second guessing myself with this car. Car fax shows one oil change already. Would love to hear some input.
Thanks.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
If the price is right and the condition reflects 5k miles I’d go for it. The “tick issue” is nothing to worry about. The coyote is a fantastic motor. Use a quality oil and filter and enjoy. Tune it (AED, Lund ) and it gets even better.

TVSed GT

Established Member
Mid 20s is too much unless it’s heavily modified with a power adder, I would target the 20k mark at the most. check exhaust system and underside thoroughly for rust/leaks. As for the tick don’t even worry about it man, I’ve had a couple of coyotes and I think the tick has been way overblown. I’m sure a small % have legit issues but in my opinion this is a non issue for 99% of owners

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Mid 20's for a 5k mile Coyote? Hell yeah!
It must be in good condition/mint? Got any photos?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Tick issue . This is not mustang6g and there is no tick issue; especially on 11-14 motors.

If you could get it close to 20k, that would be a steal and I’d buy as many as I could at that price assuming the car is as clean as the mileage suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yes the 2011 5.0 has been known to have stock motor and stock tunes with motors going bad within the 10-20k miles. It was the 1st run of the car and did have bugs. Cylinder 8 was the one know to fail. Also the 1st year of the MT82 trans was known to have weak syncos and lose 5th gear.

Even with that mileage anything over $20k is too much money imo. Also the 11-12 were the same motor and body wise.
The 13-14 had upgraded pistons to prevent the cylinder 8 issue. If you do some searching you will be able to find pics of the exact differences.

In mid 20k there are better car options for you. Like the 15-17 stangs.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Tick issue . This is not mustang6g
giphy.gif

TVSed GT

Established Member
Tick issue . This is not mustang6g and there is no tick issue; especially on 11-14 motors.

If you could get it close to 20k, that would be a steal and I’d buy as many as I could at that price assuming the car is as clean as the mileage suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Lmao

jk57

Established Member
If your concerned about 2011 5.0 check out Brenspeeds high mileage 2011 gt videos

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Forget the tick, have to say price is high. High teens to 20 max, because newer options available at that price.

I would only go 20 on a car that was the exact color and options I wanted.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I'd be careful. Not enough miles for major defects to show up. I've been this route before and paid the premium for a ultra low mileage Tacoma that was 10 years old with only 10k miles. Crankshaft snapped shortly after.

Ronjon333

Established Member
I'd be careful. Not enough miles for major defects to show up. I've been this route before and paid the premium for a ultra low mileage Tacoma that was 10 years old with only 10k miles. Crankshaft snapped shortly after.
That’s exactly what I’m worried about.

nickf2005

Established Member
If you are going Mid 20's, put up a few more and get an 11-12 GT500.

"A few more"? Let's say mid-20's is $25,000. He'll need another $8,000 or so before he's in 11/12 GT500 range. That's a 1/3 more. Not saying it's not worth it, but it's not a small bump.

Kevinbonds

Established Member
"A few more"? Let's say mid-20's is $25,000. He'll need another $8,000 or so before he's in 11/12 GT500 range. That's a 1/3 more. Not saying it's not worth it, but it's not a small bump.

I was patient and found a one owner 2011 GT500 with 20K miles for 28K local to me. So 8k is a bit off, maybe -3-5k but much more car for that money.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member

That’s exactly what I’m worried about.

If you are that worried then buy an aftermarket warranty. But I wouldn’t give it a second thought. Test drive it...wind it out...and put a scanner on it to check for all codes. Drive a few other GT’s to compare the power/ride/handling/braking.

paulyboy928

Established Member
Paid $25k back in '13 for my '11 brembo package with 37k miles. It's not a "bad" price per say, but I think it's fair. With that being said, it'd have to be in meticulous shape. I think if you could knock off a couple it'd be a great buy.

Last edited:

nate714

Established Member
That's a lot of money for a 2011. I don't think the tick is a real concern. I bought my 2014 in 2014 and it ticked on first oil change and every oil change since then, but it dissipates on its own and hasn't caused any mechanical issues.

Users who are viewing this thread