would it get you in trouble?

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
mvcrash said:
How does one prove Exhibition of speed or acceleration with out some type of tire spin? And, can you be also cited for slowing down too quickly?
It's up to the officer to decide what is a safe rate of acceleration. Tire spin??....wouldn't you think if that was happening, you wouldn't be accelerating very fast?? :poke: And to the second question....yes, if you try to be a goof-ass and slow down at a high rate, it's called "careless driving", because it is an act that could cause an accident. :nonono: Common man, think. You're beginning to be an example for your signature. :D

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
mvcrash said:
How does one prove Exhibition of speed or acceleration with out some type of tire spin? And, can you be also cited for slowing down too quickly?

Exhibition of Speed is simply, showing off the speed of your vehicle. Even if you're alone. Whether you're spinning tires or not you can still be cited.

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
yea....I got pulled over and yelled at on my road because as I turned on to it I sped up to 60 (the speed limit) at wot ....the cops weren't as happy with the sound of my super charger as I was :thumbsup:

Darkman

Rolling Thunder
Established Member
The smart thing to do would be not to draw attention to yourself. The fact you leave fast right next to an officer is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. The officer is going to naturally wonder why is he doing that? You have just put the officer on front street with the public. Everyone is looking at the officer like aren't you going to do something? Most of the tickets received are due to the above and then the fun add on's come with wasting my time and usually if you are silly enough to do it in front of me you are silly enough to have violations in plain view.

Darkman

Rolling Thunder
Established Member
Thank you five4rider....it is appreciated....like yours too...I always wanted a screamer in past years all I got was a few moaners and worse had a couple lay over like dying fish. Put your foot on the loud pedal and they would squirm a little and then die....Finally, I got one so good now it makes me go wooooohoooo hehheh

mvcrash

Established Member
Five4Rider said:
It's up to the officer to decide what is a safe rate of acceleration. Tire spin??....wouldn't you think if that was happening, you wouldn't be accelerating very fast?? :poke: And to the second question....yes, if you try to be a goof-ass and slow down at a high rate, it's called "careless driving", because it is an act that could cause an accident. :nonono: Common man, think. You're beginning to be an example for your signature. :D

I don't think NJ law allows for the exhibition of speed summons. At least I never saw or learned it. If I observed a car accelerate at a high rate, and it was dangerous to other drivers, I wrote careless driving (without due caution). The tire spin would not in and of itself be proof of a careless act. The speeding statute has a "speed too fast for conditions portion" but I never saw that used for hard acceleration or tire spinning.
As far a slowing down too fast, I meant that as a joke, but in my 24 yrs of experience, I would think that summons would get dropped by the prosecutor. In NJ, if you hit someone from the rear, you were too close and can get a summons for "Following too closely" which is 5 Points. It would not matter how fast the guy in front stopped since if you maintain a safe following distance you should not crash.

Are you telling me I'm Not Infinite or I am stupid?

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I got a verbal for accelerating too quickly and my dad was with me. I was 17 and this older lawman in a small town follows me into a parking lot. That was my first encounter with a LEO. When I got out of the car, he asked me what size shoe I wore. I told him and he told me not to use so much of my foot the next time. He was really a good guy about it with just a light warning and I did take it to heart at least through his town. I still take off quickly on occasion just for the fun of it. Old habits...you know, but I do use discretion when and where.

CentennialVert

Angry Pirate
Established Member
I got a warning for rapid acceleration on a beach. I had stopped in really soft sand and wanted to see if I could get out w/o bagging my tires or putting it in 4wd so I just dumped the clutch. The jeep hopped right out and I never went over 15 mph, but I look in my mirror and there was blue lights comin up on me at 45+ mph. The guy slid to a stop almost running into my jeep. When he got out I almost bit my lip off to keep from laughing, he looked like the guy from Reno911...short shorts and aviators...and he said I was driving recklessly w/ an attempt to destroy a sensitive beach habitat. I asked him to explain and he said spinning my tires on the beach was illegal. I asked how else I was supposed to get out of the sand and he gave me my license and registration back and told me to get out of nassau county, cuz they dont want my kind there.

BoostedToy

Established Member
Why in the hell some of these hypothetical scenario's are being brought up to some of these L.E.O.'s is beyond me. Some of you are asking questions because you don't KNOW the answer to it. Well, I bet you have an idea that the outcome won't be favorable for yourselves, so why even try to gun it from a stoplight when near an officer? Not saying you should be doing it period, but doing it while you know an officer is around is asking for it. C'mon guys...use some sense.

Users who are viewing this thread