Would I be disappointed??

00SVTStrike

Established Member
Ok guys looking for some real honest thoughts on S-197s vs any of the following... **This is NOT meant to be a pissing match. I appreciate ALL american muscle**

I have owned two LS1 SS's, and Two LT1 Z28s, a 00 Lightning, and an 04 Ram SRT-10...

I am looking to get into a new toy and I am "browsing" S-197 cars for their availability and pricing. That being said, after lots of time behind the wheel of LS powered cars etc, would I be disappointed?

To be blunt, it seems like a real bitch to make any numbers with these cars. Am I missing something, or is that just part of the territory??

Give me some thoughts on why you love your S-197 and wouldn't trade it for anything??

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
what year and model s197? s197 is pretty broad. If you are looking at a stock 05-10 GT then you'll probably be disappointed. I owned an 07GT and it was far short of anything impressive in the power department.

Last edited:

00SVTStrike

Established Member
what year and model s197? s197 is pretty broad. If you are looking at a stock 05-10 GT then you'll probably be disappointed. I owned an 07GT and it was far short of anything impressive in the power department.

yeah guess I should have been more specific... Just a 06 07 GT.. something like that

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Yes you will be disappointed if you have any plans to mod it. The S197 is miles ahead in things like ride, comfort, quality but severely lacks in the speed department. If your looking for a nice fun to drive cruiser or DD then get a S197. If you want a track toy get something else, thats my opinion.

Jarad302

Established Member
as far as stock power you coming from the ls world you will be disappointed but like anything if your a car guy it wolnt be stock for long, these engines can make good power but like anything its all about money, iv had 4 foxbodys 2 sn95s and now i own a 09 gt i love it every bit of it i can make more power but it is very fun to drive there isnt as much body flex ride quality the massive selection of parts im glad i sold my cobra for it

jonesd

Established Member
I was severely disappointed with my 05 when it was stock. However, nothing some boost couldnt fix at the time.

You can run around all day at 450rwhp with a good tune and blower setup, put 31k miles on mine before i finally built the motor and turned it up.

If you plan to stay stock or just do bolt on's you will not be pleased compared to your SS imo.

Riptide

Established Member
People have run 11s with the 05-10 cars NA. But it takes a lotta work. Much easier to supercharge it. There have been people who dyno'd at or slightly over 400 NA but it was with every mod imaginable minus the blower.

These engines can make pretty good power blown especially built + blown. The stock rods are the weak link and going over 500whp is really pushing it even with a good tune.

Staying NA these cars can't keep up mod for mod with the LSx.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
i have heads and cams and i only make 358whp. you can make more power with other cars but i enjoy having an 05. it does have problems but in the end i think its worth it. if your not happy throw a blower on it an be done with it.

or get a 2012 5.0 and enjoy 100 extra hp to start.

ncpower08

Established Member
I will be honest here. I have spent a lot of money to make my car what it is today. Now I am making 575rwhp but that is far from stock and far from done. I love my baby and would not sell it for anything. If you want 11s then you would deff want a blower with a built motor. But it dose have aluminum block and heads. So you don't have the weight of an old block and heads. If you are looking for some stock put you in your seat power then this won't cut it. But if you want a toy to tinker with then this could be a grate thing for you.

Riptide

Established Member
You don't need a built engine for 11s. People have run 10s with this engine and the stock bottom end. There's more to an ET than whp. People have run 11s NA with these cars and no FI.

That said if you want it to last "forever" I would build it for the peace of mind.

gmantheman

Established Member
Yes you will be disappointed if you have any plans to mod it. The S197 is miles ahead in things like ride, comfort, quality but severely lacks in the speed department. If your looking for a nice fun to drive cruiser or DD then get a S197. If you want a track toy get something else, thats my opinion.

I had an 06 Mustang GT that I totaled at the track. I now have a 04 GTO. The GTO's interior, ride and comfort is superior to my mustang. Now a LS1 F-body would be different story.

Last edited:

gmantheman

Established Member
I believe both a S197 and a LS1 will net you about the same increase in hp with mild
cam(s) and tune but once you had L/T, it's a different story. LS engines respond better to a cam/LT combo than an S197.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
i grew up in a chevy dealership. after selling my M3 i wanted to go back to my muscle car roots and looked at F bodies/GTOs. after not finding anything i really liked, i decided to go rouge(for my family) and look at 03-04 cobras. surely they are the best mustang ever right? WRONG. i describe them as an AMAZING engine that is punished by being bolted to the fox platform. i almost bought an 03 red fire with the usuals 2.76, OR X magna packs ect. but outside of it being fast in a straight line(which was epic, don't get me wrong) i didn't like the car overall. the interior is just, shameful at best. the car just feels cheap.

so depressed a friend told me to look at S197s. i always liked the look and figured what the hell. i drove a stock car and yes, stock they aren't balls to the wall fast. but i wouldn't call them slow per say. the stock tune is neutered like crazy. but the chassis is great, the ride is great the interior is top notch. i liked it. even it being down 100 some odd HP to the cobra.

you're getting a better rear end with 31 splines, a better tranny, better clutch and a MUCH better suspension.

i snagged my 07 back in march of 10.

haven't looked back since. stock i went 13.41@104, and through various stages of mods the car is a hoot to drive. you can make decent power NA, but the 3v loves boost even if its rods don't. I'm putting a paxton on mine next month and expect 440 ish on 8psi, not inter cooled. i won't intercool it or up the boost until i build a forged motor on the side. not bad if you ask me. the car weighs in right at 3500lbs.

the 3v makes more power per psi then the 4vs mach or cobra. the head flow great within a few CCs of the might 4v. they make great torque and with gears they move out pretty good. I've got 4.10s and have more than kept up with a few local LSx cars.

i say go for it. lower it, get some LCAs and put a 3k paxton on it and go piss people off. the 3v gets so little respect it so much fun when you beat up on a mach 1 or NA cobra.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
also head over to s197forum.com for more/better info on these cars. I'm three beers into it and probably not too clear right now.

00SVTStrike

Established Member
Thanks for the great responses guys. I appreciate the straight up answers... Still debating...

Tell me about the Auto trans in these cars?

Users who are viewing this thread