Would a carrier from an IRS car work in my live axle and vice versa?

ogc

Established Member
Im swapping rear ends with my buddy who has an 03 Cobra... I want to keep my 4.10s and he wants to keep his 3.55's. Can we just swap the carriers from the live axle into the IRS and vice versa?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
ogc said:
Im swapping rear ends with my buddy who has an 03 Cobra... I want to keep my 4.10s and he wants to keep his 3.55's. Can we just swap the carriers from the live axle into the IRS and vice versa?

The center sections won't swap, Directly.

EDIT: Totally misunderstood.

Last edited:

jimh

Established Member
ogc said:

Yes, the carriers will swap, they are both 8.8, but.... There's always a but. I think the Cobra has a 31 spline carrier so you would need 31 spline axles in the solid read. The GT has a 28 spline (I think). And you would need 28 spline half shafts (99 Cobras might be 28).
You guys could swap gears but you would need someone to set them up.

jim

ogc

Established Member
jimh said:
Yes, the carriers will swap, they are both 8.8, but.... There's always a but. I think the Cobra has a 31 spline carrier so you would need 31 spline axles in the solid read. The GT has a 28 spline (I think). And you would need 28 spline half shafts (99 Cobras might be 28).
You guys could swap gears but you would need someone to set them up.

jim

Yah thats what we were trying to avoid... Ah well.

I want the IRS because my Cobra is a slow turd and drag racing has just lost its appeal. So now I am going to work on going around corners.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
ogc said:
Yah thats what we were trying to avoid... Ah well.

I want the IRS because my Cobra is a slow turd and drag racing has just lost its appeal. So now I am going to work on going around corners.

Probably the best reasoning I've heard in a while:thumbsup:

Most of the time people just say, "cause it'll be cool!"

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Whoa, I totally misunderstood what you were asking.

OK, yes, the diffs will swap, but the 03 does, have 31 spline.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Now wait a minute here....be specific about what you are asking. Are you inquiring about the carrier bearings, the differential, or the actual housing (center section)? There appears to be some confusion that could lead to a major screw up.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
He seems to be asking if the differential/ring gear/pinion will swap. Which, it should, as they are both 8.8 spec. However, the 03 does have 31 spline outputs, which is a minor change. I don't know about the bearings etc. haven't been into an IRS center yet, but from what I understand, everything is the same as an 8.8 EXCEPT for the fact that the inner axles are retained differently. (like a FWD car).

Users who are viewing this thread