WOT car is breaking up....

91Man

Established Member
.....after the mafia got wet. Part throttle to 3/4 is fine. Idle is fine. But when I floor it it spits and sputters. I took the back cover off it and hit it with a hair dryer for a few minutes with no change. This totally sucks cause im supposed to leave at 7am for a dyno tune! I cannt call anybody to cancel cause i realized after they closed today it happened when I got home from work. Well other then putting it above the heater for the night and trying it in am idk what to do?

91Man

Established Member
Well even though the MAFia was fried he said he wouldnt be interested in tuning it the way it sat. He suggested John Lund which was my other option. Chris was a super nice guy though and if I had a different setup or a STI he would be the one to tune it for sure!

91Man

Established Member
Ok so after the old MAFia got wet the car wouldnt go to WOT if I floored it. If i gradually "slowly" gave it gas it would go all the way to redline. The car was previously tuned at setting 3 on the mafia. I set it to 4 and the car wouldnt even start. I tried it at setting 2 and it wouldnt start.
I purchased a new "barely used 300 mile" mafia from a member here and installed it. Went to start the car on setting 3 and SAME THING as before? I decided maybe it was a bad ground at this point so I removed EVERY ground on car sanded cleaned contacts and even installed a extra ground from motor to battery but no luck.
My buddy has the tuning software for SCT so we data logged EVERYTHING and came up empty handed. At this point we decided to just try a different setting on new mafia. We set it to 2 and the car started fine but would now breakup/miss at a lower rpm then setting 3. Put it to setting 4 and it now runs ALMOST perfect? The idle is a little more lumpy and the afr is leaner at all rpms compared to before. It still has a very "slight" hesitation but the car drives out of it to redline as opposed to before where it would sit at 3000~ rpm's.
Only other thing I can try is another stock meter. Maybe the meter went south when the mafia did? Does anybody have any input on this cause Im at a loss here. Thx Steve

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
Sounds like your MAFia killed your MAF. Try running the car w/o the MAFia and I'd be willing to bet you have the same issues.

91Man

Established Member
I wasnt positive if I could do that so thats why I havent tried yet. So I can run the car without the mafia safely to see if mass air meter is the problem? Well either way im gonna try another meter and HOPEFULLY that is the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread