Worth it to install 2 oil seperators?

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
Should i put one oil seperator on both valve covers? My thoughts are that it would completely eliminate oil entering into the intake.

Your thoughts, or has this issue been beat to death already?

black 10th vert

Established Member
Put valve breathers on it and call it a day.

not everyone wants to go that route! I for one want to keep the pcv system intact, so I'd like opinions on running the 2 separators too. Along with my winter mods, I did the driver's side already, and will put the JLT billet filter thing on the other side, but I'm curious about using a second separator.

cobracide

Established Member
not everyone wants to go that route! I for one want to keep the pcv system intact, so I'd like opinions on running the 2 separators too. Along with my winter mods, I did the driver's side already, and will put the JLT billet filter thing on the other side, but I'm curious about using a second separator.

Pull your intake, is there oil there? If so, get the seperator for the other side.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
Pull your intake, is there oil there? If so, get the seperator for the other side.
Does having an oil seperator on the drivers side head eliminate the majority of the oil that passes through the system? I know that there is oil in the inlet tube of the TB, but have not pulled the SC to verify the Lower intake.

cobracide

Established Member
Does having an oil seperator on the drivers side head eliminate the majority of the oil that passes through the system? I know that there is oil in the inlet tube of the TB, but have not pulled the SC to verify the Lower intake.

When I had my blower swapped, there was quite a bit there. The shop recommended getting a JLT separator for the driver's side. I forgot to get one for the passenger side as they are single on the orders from JLT. I need to get another.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Just saying, and zero issues and no vapors in the cab. did the same to my 05GT with zero problems. also don't have to change anything out. I had a Steeda seperator on my 05GT before the breathers and i would still find a little oil in the intake. With the breathers, i have zero oil in there.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
So the vapors and oil residue have to vent somewhere. Are you not getting oil and crud built up on and around your engine? The trucks i wrench on at work must have long tubes coming off the breathers and down around the tie rod tube to keep all the oll saturated blow=by off the transmissiong and frame.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I actually checked the breathers a few days ago and zero oil anywhere. And they've been on the car since i bought it 16 months ago. Trust me, if oil was coming out of them and making a mess, i would have went with the seperators. Vapors get vented out but you might smell it if you sit in your car without driving for awhile. I don't even smell anything at redlights either. but if you want seperators i don't see why you can't put them on both sides.

99 GT vert

Established Member
my car has 2 filters on the valve covers and there is no oil on on the motor. one thing i have read is that the filters become plugged up and create a pressure in the cam covers which leads to a little bit of oil in around the spark plugs do to that being the easiest way to get rid of the excess pressure.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
Evan, i just don't care for the breathers at all. I do think you will see oil come this summer when the temps get HOT.
With the seperators, you don't have to worry about backpressure in the crankcase blowing out seals.

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
maybe i'll go breather on the passenger side, since that is upstream of the TB, and just use the seperator on the drivers side. That is the side sucking all the oil anyhow.

99 GT vert

Established Member
there is a good chance i will that is why i am planning on getting at least 1 separator. i am not a big fan of the breathers either, would i put them on the car nope. i dont see why there would be a problem with running 2 separators only thing i could see is that it takes up a little more room in the engine bay and that really doesnt make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread