Worse Turbo kit ever yep it is from New Mexico

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
2003Slobra said:
First thing I am going to say is, I thought I was the child? Stop making me feel so old.

The only reason I am going to reply to this because I feel 80% of it isn't true, just the fact that some people don't like each other and they are making that perfectly clear.

I was probably the 3rd or 4th person to have the THP kit. I spoke with Jim numerous times before I made the deal. Not once did I ever feel that he was taking advantage of me in any way. I was also thinking of the Hellion kit, but there are things I didn't like. I don't want to use the 98 Cobra Intake, I DO NOT want to use Stock Manifolds when trying to make high power and just got turned more towards the THP Kit.

Jim told me when the kit would be here, and it got here right then and there. I opened the box, everything was there and didn't need to wait on anything. A+ so far in my books.

Onwards to the install;

Motor was out of the car, doing other various things. Placed the Sullivan intake on, rails and put the harness back on the Engine. I put the motor/QAI K-Member all back into the car was one unit. Started with the Passenger side header. Headers are awesome, look great and no "splattering" on my welds. Header bolted right up, 1 down, 1 to go. On to the driver side. It wouldn't lay flat on the deck surface on the head, it was hitting the K. Put a level on the motor, made sure it was all straight and tried a few other things. I ended up tacking the header just a tiny bit to make it fit. I called Jim and made sure he was aware of the problem and he is sending me out a new header free of charge. Yes, they are $2,000 Dollar Headers.

On to the up-pipes, mounted perfect and turbos went on like a breeze. Everything on the install was easy. I am estactic about my kit and glad I did what I did. My car makes good power for what it is at now and will prove it on the street. I could careless about the track, I am 19 and didn't build the car for the track yet I will have numbers to back it up.

This post is not for me to jump on anyone's "Nuts" because frankly I don't think I want to hold anyones nuts. :shrug: I am simply stating my own opinion.

Hellion makes a AWESOME kit, do I think they should of did a few things different. Yes, I do. One car when it comes to mind trapped 140 on the stock shortblock on 23-24 PSI. That is nothing to shake your head at. This community wouldn't be what it is if there was one turbo kit. There is ALWAYS going to be competition and there will ALWAYS be un-happy customers. Do I feel there should be? No.

I would wish everyone got what they paid for, I wish everything was easy with cars and you never run into problems. But, it's not going to happen that way.

I think everyone should take a step back and realize what you are saying. Just breathe and calm down.

The other thing I have to add is this;

Dave knew he had to cut holes for the Intake pipe, knew he had to relocate the battery along with a other few things. Relocating the battery to the trunk? Better weight transfer, that is such a shitty thing to have :coolman:

Don't bash THP because that is how they wanted to do things that way, Jason. I can understand if the Jig was off and things didn't fit, yes I would be pissed too. Those other things had nothing to do with that though. Bashed pipes, crappy welds?? I had nothing of that nature. I am sorry you were handed what you were, I hope you make the best of the situation and I am sure you did since I see you have been pretty happy.

Rex, there is a handful of cars that are making the numbers you are. One of which had a Whipple and spray and was making close to you. There are about 5-6 other turbo cars in the works that should take you off your top spot. Don't take this the wrong way, your numbers are awesome and your car is looking good.

I guess that is all, and I should get back to work ;-)

Take it how you want, it was just my opinion.

Matt

Very wise words from such a young man. Many of us old farts could take a lesson from you....

Almo

Established Member
TwinTurboTRex said:
I do not care what you guys think, it is nothing to me.......................all these sites get worse and worse until someone gets put in thier place, I have the car to talk shit, most others do not, some do, but like I said most do not. Might be my true colors, deal with it. I know my car is fast, it makes great numbers, what more needs to be known? Just answer that? Put up or shut up, I have the most powerful 03-047 cobra, and one of the fastest, probably not the fastest, but one of them.

:lol: You're too funny!

Last edited:

Almo

Established Member
TwinTurboTRex said:
This sight is as entertaining to me as it is to You, I am not posting no videos or numbers, I think You will all know sooner or later, and the car has allready trapped close to 135mph on pump gas and street tires before it fell into my hands, props to all of the cobra guys, I am just countering back to all the shit talkers, I have the car and have nothing to prove to You guys, I do not need to post slips, videos or time slips to fill good about myself, we will all know when we line up, right? 8's is what I am shooting for and I am not there yet, I will tell You that. But only a little more mods away.

135 trap speed with those numbers, that's is??? OMG that sucks! Or did I miss something here? :rollseyes Another car that has the boost turned up just for a Dyno show. :nonono:

Blown02

Established Member
IEatGt's said:
Interesting point. Rex didn't have any problems with the installation of his tt kit. IT WAS ON THE CAR WHEN HE BOUGHT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what kind of 60' time do you get with over 1100 hp??
Dude.. I said that because he was making fun of postban saying postban couldnt install a kit... postban did install the kit.. so I said he did, then I said, did you install your kit???Because I knew he did not, I knew he had alright bought the car with it on! :poke:
Are you asking me what kind of 60' I got with 1100hp?

Last edited:

Almo

Established Member
IEatGt's said:
Interesting point. Rex didn't have any problems with the installation of his tt kit. IT WAS ON THE CAR WHEN HE BOUGHT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what kind of 60' time do you get with over 1100 hp??

Off topic for a minute... what's up with your name? IEatGt's :shrug:

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
C H I N I said:
Are you the bald headed guy driving that white cobra that thinks he is the most badass person on the planet?? Stop holding jims nuts from thp and face it, ALL THOSE TT KITS SUCK!

i've read through this whole thread and can't believe what i'm reading. this site is about sharing and helping each other. sounds corney but it's the truth isn't it? lets chill and give constructive criticism if you have some input to be added. name calling won't do anything but continue the bashing and stray from the important stuff... TALK ABOUT CARS!

my review of the THP kit is from my personal experience... I AM NOT SPEAKING FOR OTHERS! in regards to the THP kit... to start, i own one and LOVE IT! to make a statement that "all those tt kits suck" is rediculous. you don't own one, haven't installed a thp kit, and haven't driven one. i've had countless numbers of people see my car in shows, given rides in it, and had dyno spectators give me complements on the quality and make up of the kit. i haven't had one negative comment after a person has seen my car in person and been given a ride. does my kit appear to suck???

PassengerSideengineshot.jpg

anotherdriverssideshot.jpg

i'm sorry that i just have old pics to post up... especially sense this car has come so far from when these pics that were taken.
the qaulity of the kit was great and the customer service was even better. i've mentioned several times on different sites that any time i called jim, i spoke to jim. he always answers his phone and will take calls as late at 10pm any day of the week. he till this day (ordered and recieved my kit over 7 months ago) still emails and calls me in regards to my kit. he really has been one of my best customer service experiences.

my car is not the fastest street car by any means; nor am i saying thp is the best. what i'm saying is that i own a thp kit that is well made, looks amazing, and makes incredible power with the piece of mind that my car is also reliable. what more could i ask from a kit. for anybody that has doubts about my car... feel free to come on down and take a ride with me. i'll put a grin on your face.

my main point.... don't condemn a company based on one experience. THP is a reputable company that stands behind their stuff.

CHINI

Do Work
Established Member
NIELSTTCOBRA said:
i've read through this whole thread and can't believe what i'm reading. this site is about sharing and helping each other. sounds corney but it's the truth isn't it? lets chill and give constructive criticism if you have some input to be added. name calling won't do anything but continue the bashing and stray from the important stuff... TALK ABOUT CARS!

my review of the THP kit is from my personal experience... I AM NOT SPEAKING FOR OTHERS! in regards to the THP kit... to start, i own one and LOVE IT! to make a statement that "all those tt kits suck" is rediculous. you don't own one, haven't installed a thp kit, and haven't driven one. i've had countless numbers of people see my car in shows, given rides in it, and had dyno spectators give me complements on the quality and make up of the kit. i haven't had one negative comment after a person has seen my car in person and been given a ride. does my kit appear to suck???

PassengerSideengineshot.jpg

anotherdriverssideshot.jpg

i'm sorry that i just have old pics to post up... especially sense this car has come so far from when these pics that were taken.
the qaulity of the kit was great and the customer service was even better. i've mentioned several times on different sites that any time i called jim, i spoke to jim. he always answers his phone and will take calls as late at 10pm any day of the week. he till this day (ordered and recieved my kit over 7 months ago) still emails and calls me in regards to my kit. he really has been one of my best customer service experiences.

my car is not the fastest street car by any means; nor am i saying thp is the best. what i'm saying is that i own a thp kit that is well made, looks amazing, and makes incredible power with the piece of mind that my car is also reliable. what more could i ask from a kit. for anybody that has doubts about my car... feel free to come on down and take a ride with me. i'll put a grin on your face.

my main point.... don't condemn a company based on one experience. THP is a reputable company that stands behind their stuff.
what i was saying was the quality of the tt kits is not the greatest

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Wickd03 said:
index.php

index.php

I guess that this is acceptable to you. This is an entirely different car and has the same problems as for the headers being up side down yea ok If you think it fits like sheit now wait until you see it the other way (on the yellow cobra). Explain this piping to me then if Hp is so great! This is another car we have to make all the piping because of the incompetence when it was being made. Not to mention that this kit smokes like sheit and wipes out the turbo's due to them mounting so low and not having proper drain back. So this is a buyer beware thread don’t buy this kit and expect not to have problems with it. You have been warned! This car actually had burned off the power steering back bellows with in 2k miles and is having the turbo’s rebuilt. Talk about problems My F350 has 100k miles on its original turbo with no rebuild and this car has only 2k miles on it. Something is wrong here.

The problems you mention are addressed already. The kit was redesigned a LONG time ago. You wonder why the car is smoking?? Look how low the turbos are bright one. Move them UP. Anyway, the problem with the tie rod is directly related to how low those turbos are, not to mention the oil drainback problem, and while we are at it, the reason you are ruining turbos. All that aside, the kit is redesigned so the intercooler piping goes above the bumper mounts. So one ordering this kit isn't going to recieve the same thing as you pictured. Listen, I'm sorry you got a bad kit, or didn't install it right etc. etc. but my kit fits fine as well as others on this board, but what do you want me to do about it??

TRBO VNM

smashedheadcat said:
The problems you mention are addressed already. The kit was redesigned a LONG time ago. You wonder why the car is smoking?? Look how low the turbos are bright one. Move them UP. Anyway, the problem with the tie rod is directly related to how low those turbos are, not to mention the oil drainback problem, and while we are at it, the reason you are ruining turbos. All that aside, the kit is redesigned so the intercooler piping goes above the bumper mounts. So one ordering this kit isn't going to recieve the same thing as you pictured. Listen, I'm sorry you got a bad kit, or didn't install it right etc. etc. but my kit fits fine as well as others on this board, but what do you want me to do about it??

good to hear it is redesigned, but Josh, do you think the customer or even shop installing one should have to change the design of the kit to make it work? in particular I am referring to your statement, "Look how low the turbos are bright one. Move them UP.", why should he have to do this? Should have been done already and worked properly from the beginning. That being said, if things are redesigned and this problem is no more, great. Maybe HP should send him a new kit now since they redesigned it to fix these problems you mention. granted spacers, gaskets and longer bolts are probably all that is needed to raise them, but then what other problems will be caused from that? could turn into a domino effect. I haven't installed a HP kit, so I don't know for sure, but something to think about.

wickd03, when were these kits purchased or shipped? think they are the old design?

Last edited:

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Yes if there are revisions or changes made to ANY kit that if not done could be death to the turbos or any part of the kit the manufacture should offer this free of charge to customers who have already spent 7k and bought the kit...

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
good to hear it is redesigned, but Josh, do you think the customer or even shop installing one should have to change the design of the kit to make it work? in particular I am referring to your statement, "Look how low the turbos are bright one. Move them UP.", why should he have to do this? Should have been done already and worked properly from the beginning. That being said, if things are redesigned and this problem is no more, great. Maybe HP should send him a new kit now since they redesigned it to fix these problems you mention. granted spacers, gaskets and longer bolts are probably all that is needed to raise them, but then what other problems will be caused from that? could turn into a domino effect. I haven't installed a HP kit, so I don't know for sure, but something to think about.

wickd03, when were these kits purchased or shipped? think they are the old design?

Josh's comment about moving them up doesn't require anything other than loosen a few clamps and reposition, then tighten the clamps back up.........Not a refab as you took it...just a matter of installing them higher from the beginning!

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
Blown02 said:
Dude.. I said that because he was making fun of postban saying postban couldnt install a kit... postban did install the kit.. so I said he did, then I said, did you install your kit???Because I knew he did not, I knew he had alright bought the car with it on! :poke:
Are you asking me what kind of 60' I got with 1100hp?

I wasn't poking fun at postban in any way. I was poking fun at Rex b/c he was giving postban a load of sh!t. I was wondering what kind of 60' time HE got with 1172 hp. He talks about his dyno numbers, but no track times. I guess I didn't do a very good job making myself clear. My bad.

Last edited:

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
Almo said:
Off topic for a minute... what's up with your name? IEatGt's :shrug:

It was an offhand comment to a kid in a ratty 88 Mustang GT right after I bought the truck. He told me I should have bought a mustang GT instead of "that big ol' truck". I just told him " I Eat GT's" and when the light turned green, I showed him what I was talking about. :burnout: I think he got the point. Now it's on my plate.

Slythrin

smashedheadcat said:
If these problems have been already addressed then why do they still existed the pictures of the yellow car show that the pipes still hit the tie rod ends and this car has not been driven! Explain that to me so I can better understand why I have a 40k car and an 8k turbo kit that don’t fit!!! Like I have previously stated I’m sure that the turbo company does good work it is just that there mail order kits are junk. Every pipe either hits or rubs some part of the car. With only having 5k miles on this car there is no way we are going to let it leave looking like crap and making a tone of rubbing and banging noise. If this is acceptable to you then have fun driving your dumpster because this one will never drive like that! This is ridiculous all you people stand up for the poor craftsman ship of this company. Why I ask? The second car that you have quoted the pictures from fitted better than the revise edition talk about going in reverse. If you would like to see this crap in person please by all means come down here and Ill show you. I and cutting all of this garbage off the car today and remaking the entire kit pictures will follow shortly and it won’t take 6 months. So believe what ever you want! I will post way more pictures of the poor fitment of this kit.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Shayne said:
If these problems have been already addressed then why do they still existed the pictures of the yellow car show that the pipes still hit the tie rod ends and this car has not been driven! Explain that to me so I can better understand why I have a 40k car and an 8k turbo kit that don’t fit!!! Like I have previously stated I’m sure that the turbo company does good work it is just that there mail order kits are junk. Every pipe either hits or rubs some part of the car. With only having 5k miles on this car there is no way we are going to let it leave looking like crap and making a tone of rubbing and banging noise. If this is acceptable to you then have fun driving your dumpster because this one will never drive like that! This is ridiculous all you people stand up for the poor craftsman ship of this company. Why I ask? The second car that you have quoted the pictures from fitted better than the revise edition talk about going in reverse. If you would like to see this crap in person please by all means come down here and Ill show you. I and cutting all of this garbage off the car today and remaking the entire kit pictures will follow shortly and it won’t take 6 months. So believe what ever you want! I will post way more pictures of the poor fitment of this kit.

Why?? Because you don't know what you're doing would be my guess..... Loosen the damn clamp where the up-pipe and the header come together and rotate it away from the tie-rod. There ya go.... problem fixed. Don't give me the "there is no room" because I see room in the picture that's posted. I don't work for HP, all I know is that my kit goes together perfectly. I saw a few different ways to put it together that would cause issues. Maybe you got a crappy kit...... I don't know, maybe you have pieces in the wrong spot, I don't know that either. All I'm trying to do is help, and I'm saying that the problems you are complaining about could be installation errors.

Slythrin

index.php

yes this my fault bwahahahaha

Let me enlighten you on my background I have been a master technician for Ford motor company for well over 9 years, I have owned my own Performance shop for the last 8 years. I also own one of the leading Dyno shops in Phoenix AZ, we also do full custom turbo Kits for mustangs and other sports cars. Don’t get me wrong I am not advertising on this board not to mention that you have brought up the point that I don’t know how to install a POS turbo kit, when in fact if you were to look at the pictures that have been shown you would have never made your post. If this is the level of work to expect from this turbo facility then I tell every one I know, and show them the pictures that are shown here. I now will also keep all tubing that has come off of this kit just for the non-believers such as your self. Let me ask you this How many turbo kits must I show you do you to finally say … Well I guess that was a bad kit and then how many kits that are bad kits will it take for you to finally realize that these kits are pure shit! I have posted two different kits and you have made excuses for both of them. What are the chances that I actually have 4 different cars that have these shitty kits on then and each and every one will gladly take then off for there money back! Since you like them so much you should buy all these junk kits that are sitting in my scrap pile. If you are not prepared to back you comments up then I would leave well enough alone and the more time you respond keeps this thread in public eye so thank you for keeping this topic #1 again,

Oh and the picture where you are saying there is tons of room is on a lift with the suspension unloaded of course there is tons for room Jack!

This is a Junk twin Turbo kit that was bought from Hp Turbo Company

Last edited by a moderator:

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
Shayne said:
index.php

yes this my fault bwahahahaha

Let me enlighten you on my background I have been a master technician for Ford motor company for well over 9 years, I have owned my own Performance shop for the last 8 years. I also own one of the leading Dyno shops in Phoenix AZ, we also do full custom turbo Kits for mustangs and other sports cars. Don’t get me wrong I am not advertising on this board not to mention that you have brought up the point that I don’t know how to install a POS turbo kit, when in fact if you were to look at the pictures that have been shown you would have never made your post. If this is the level of work to expect from this turbo facility then I tell every one I know, and show them the pictures that are shown here. I now will also keep all tubing that has come off of this kit just for the non-believers such as your self. Let me ask you this How many turbo kits must I show you do you to finally say … Well I guess that was a bad kit and then how many kits that are bad kits will it take for you to finally realize that these kits are pure shit! I have posted two different kits and you have made excuses for both of them. What are the chances that I actually have 4 different cars that have these shitty kits on then and each and every one will gladly take then off for there money back! Since you like them so much you should buy all these junk kits that are sitting in my scrap pile. If you are not prepared to back you comments up then I would leave well enough alone and the more time you respond keeps this thread in public eye so thank you for keeping this topic #1 again,

Oh and the picture where you are saying there is tons of room is on a lift with the suspension unloaded of course there is tons for room Jack!

This is a Junk twin Turbo kit that was bought from Hp Turbo Company

Like Ive said earlier, this kit looks to be a bit "off", but you shouldnt have to redo all of the piping. You of all people (owning a performance shop) should know that nothing ever goes together smoothly or the way it's meant to go. It seems to me your intent was to bash HP and give yourself or your shop credit for finding flaws. I do agree when you spend that amount that you should get quality and the issues should've been dealt with over at HP, hell Ive even got Jimmy's cell number (which I will not give out, so dont ask) to contact him directly. They do take care of their customers, if a problem arises, you just have to give them a chance. Good luck to your shop, I hope you guys put out some monsters and satisfy this customer in particular :beer: .

btecdude

Established Member
this thread is so funny.... this is being blown way out of perportion. i personaly own an hp twin 67 kit (granted not the best craftsmenship) and which i installed myself in my driveway on jack stands and had absolutley none of the problems you guys are, no leaks, no rubbing, no vibrations and no drain back issues. sounds to me like an installation error. it was mentioned that the passenger header was resting on the k member, well im assuming you did'nt read the instructions because it clearly states to trim part of the k member away.

Slythrin

yea ok

I have not once tried to advetise but I will now. Also I don't offer junk nor mail order kits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread