Working with your wife

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I work for an awesome company, I pay nothing for health insurance, get a great bonus and a decent amount of vacation. My wife's company isn't as nice to their employees and she said she was going to look in the same city as I work for a new job (better pay, better location). Well my company has a position available doing exactly what she does now so I told her about it and talked to hr and they said to submit a resume. I don't know if the job will go anywhere but I wanted to know if any of you guys work at the same company as your wives or for the ladies as your husband?

I have a couple of friends that do and love it. They dave a ton on gas (we each drive 30 minutes in opposite directions) and it would be convenient to be able to grab lunch together event once in a while. The pay would likely be more but she would get an 2 weeks vacation from the start, where she only gets one now.

I know some things would change but I wanted to also hear of other peoples experience that have been doing it for a while.

Thanks

t from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
I don't do it, nor am I even married, but if you're not working directly with her all day than I can imagine you'll be fine. Otherwise, if that was the case and I was in your shoes, I would probably eventually wanna kick her in the moose knuckle

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
completely different departments, different floors just in the same location, same company. I would not work directly with my wife.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
completely different departments, different floors just in the same location, same company. I would not work directly with my wife.

Sounds perfect! Hope it works out for you guys. I think it is much harder when a spouse works directly with their significant other. Worse more if the spouse is a boss of the other spouse.

I could do indirect but never directly....

My uncle and aunt founded an IT consulting company she is the CEO he is the CFO and they have worked perfectly together for 14 years and been married for 18. I think it can definitely be done, but it is not the norm.

:beer:

TonyUMD

If I hear that again...
Established Member

Good luck. This is the only way i'd do it.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Sounds good to me.

I worked with Will through two internships and at two different companies after graduation, never caused any issues. It was always in different departments though, and sometimes different locations.

hoamskilet

Established Member
No way I'd be able to work side by side with my wife every day, but if it was just a matter of working in the same building, no problem.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
My brother and sister in law have worked in the same building for over 10 years, makes things really convenient. Don't see a reason not to if you're in separate offices.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
If HR has no issue then you should be good.
The only thing I would worry about is separating your personal life from your work life.

At my company we had a mother and daughter that worked in different groups.
The daughter got laid-off and the mother made a huge fuss, and was extremely emotional and upset about the whole thing.
The mother is very high up in the company, but she acted like a grizzly protecting her cub, and was not at all professional.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
guy next to me at work is the same way with his wife, they seem to love it, works for em, same company same floor, diff sections.

CobRoush-00

Established Member
If the two of you get along pretty well, that should not be a problem. If you were going to be on the same floor or the same office, that could be a problem. No offense, you don't want to be with someone 24/7 no matter how much you love each other. Hope she gets the job, man. That would save you a bundle.

Driver500

Established Member
My wife and I work in the same office, but not on the same projects. We have a nice routine. Some days we do lunch.. some days she meets up with her friends and I meet mine.

I think the fact that we don't work on the same projects helps a lot. It might get to be a bit too much togetherness if we did.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I'm an electrical engineer in the untility department and she's applying for the marketing department so we have that covered...

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
My wife and I have worked together for 10 years (married the last 5 and in the same department with adjacent offices for the last 5). She actually is my best friend, if you have a great relationship it will work out. If you have any issues it may compound them. I wouldn't change it because it works great for us, the key is separating work from personal. We talk about work on the drive to and from the office, after that no work.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
i see stuff like this like being n2o on a car
its only going to find the weak points in your car

or in this case if you guys cant handle working together than eventually your marriage would hit speed bumps anyway

nickf2005

Established Member
I'm an electrical engineer in the untility department and she's applying for the marketing department so we have that covered...

Typical Engineer, can't spell... I can say that only because I am one as well and my spelling/grammar is Par, at best. :beer:

Engineering and Marketing, as you stated, are going to be two different entities of the company. I think the benefits you and your wife are going to get out of the deal are going to outweigh the negatives (if any). With gas being 3.50 a gallon and you're saving 60 miles a day. Those savings are going to add up (on top of her increase wage) as well.

Good luck to you both. A job change can be stressful no matter the circumstances.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
Typical Engineer, can't spell... I can say that only because I am one as well and my spelling/grammar is Par, at best. :beer:

Engineering and Marketing, as you stated, are going to be two different entities of the company. I think the benefits you and your wife are going to get out of the deal are going to outweigh the negatives (if any). With gas being 3.50 a gallon and you're saving 60 miles a day. Those savings are going to add up (on top of her increase wage) as well.

Good luck to you both. A job change can be stressful no matter the circumstances.

It's not that I don't know how to spell, it's that my phone doesn't read my mind like it should! The only negatives might be the car situation and the fact that I can't jam on my way to and from work...

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I wouldn't want to work directly with my wife and then go home and try to take on a different role. If you are apart then it should work out--good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread