Working out

Blackgeetee

Established Member
The past few weeks I've really wanted to start working out, meaning lift weights.

I can't seem to get the motivation to get me going. Old habits are VERY hard to break. We are creatures of habit. What ways have you guys gone about actually starting something you tried to do?

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
well i started life without a woman, and ive been very good at keeping that way, but i dont understand why it remains this way

old habits are hard to break

03DOHC

Established Member
Blackgeetee said:
What ways have you guys gone about actually starting something you tried to do?
Well, I decided I'd drink some tequila, so I went to the fridge and poured me some. :-D

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Best thing you could probably ever do is get a buddy to work out with you.

They force you to go, you force them to go... keeps you from skipping. It's also nice to have someone to watch your back when you're using free weights.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Look at yourself in the mirror, do you like what you see :shrug: :nono:

That’s motivation :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

ridethelighteni

foolish samurai warrior
Established Member
Tabres said:
Best thing you could probably ever do is get a buddy to work out with you.

They force you to go, you force them to go... keeps you from skipping. It's also nice to have someone to watch your back when you're using free weights.

Best advice right there. While it is very satisfying to set new maxes and see your body improve, it is just not the same if you don't have someone to share it with...be it a lifting buddy, or a significant other.

Join a weight lifting board, reading about others triumphs can be motivating and educating. Don't buy a home gym, especially not new - thousands of guys just like you with brand new gyms sitting in their basements gathering dust. Join a local gym (YMCA's are pretty reasonable, and some have very nice facilities) and set up a routine (3 days a week is a good start) with realistic short and long term goals. Try to go during off hours if you are afraid of being intimidated by guys benching 400lbs (Trust me, those types are few and far between. Unless you live in a college town it is rare to even see people benching over 300). During the off hours most places are filled with senior citizens, and if your lucky a few hot chicks - the gym is a great place to meet people.

Good luck and keep at it.

snakedoctor

Established Member
I'll tell ya what worked for me. Go to the beach when it gets warm with your shirt off. That will work. I used to go to Club Lavela for spring break with my buddies. All of them worked out except me. I got tired of them getting all the attention so I hit the gym. It took me 2-3 years of training hard, but now I'm more pumped than they ever were.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
You're just gonna have to get off your ass and do it. Once you start working out it's almost like self motivating because you have so much more energy and it's not that big of a deal. Just work it into routine and don't overdo it or you'll grow sick of it real fast.

Also, eating decent and getting all your vitamins and stuff will help with the energy thing.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
After one month of working out, i could already see a huge improvement. Ive got these weird bulges coming out of my arm....i think they might be called muscles :).

I also have a lot more energy...i dont find myself dozing off at work anymore...

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
Seriously, buy books on weightlifting, read about the excercises and study the cut people in the pictures...then you'll know what you can aspire to...that's one way I get my inspiration.

I've been lifting consistently for 20 years...and I don't have huge muscles, but I do have xtreme definition...enough for women to take interest, smile, and throw compliments, which is another source of inspiration...and I don't consider myself that attractive.

Last edited:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
03DOHC said:
Well, I decided I'd drink some tequila, so I went to the fridge and poured me some. :-D
;-) seems to help sometimes :-D

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
It's hard to get motivation to work out when you haven't worked out in a long time. If you work out straight for about one month, you probably will be motivated for one month. This is because you probably will notice a difference in physical appearance and strength.

I screwed up my arm once and had to stop working out for about 6 months. It was really nice for about a month. I had an hours more of free time each day. Towards the end, I could definately tell that I was getting weaker and smaller. That was enough motivation for me to get back in the gym after I was better.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
I never thought i would start working out and now i cant stop...its addicting, just like black tar heroine :).

Plus there are cute chicks at the gym....that alone is worth the price of admission :).

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Yes, it is addicting. When I had to stop working out for a while, I would seriously have dreams about working out. The hot girls at the gym are also a good enough motivation to keep it up (working out I mean).

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
FIND SOMEONE TO GO WITH!!!

It makes a huge difference. For instance...me and the guy I go with, a good friend of mine, go 4 times a week. Well he hurt himself, said he could go yesterday, so I went alone. Did my arms, then went upstairs to box for a little while (ususally I'll hit the bag for a good 20 mins, and im done) Well as im putting the wraps on my fists, some HUGE guy comes in, like 6'4, 250, just built like a tank. He puts his gloves on, and stars wailing at the bag. (two bags in the room) Anyhow, he was giving me a few pointers n stuff, and at the end said "I woulda never stayed in here for 40 minutes like I did if you werent in here" cuz it just keeps going back n forth. You FEED off the other person. I felt the same way. Trust me, my fists are all cut up right now to prove it.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
mike79 said:
FIND SOMEONE TO GO WITH!!!

It makes a huge difference. For instance...me and the guy I go with, a good friend of mine, go 4 times a week. Well he hurt himself, said he could go yesterday, so I went alone. Did my arms, then went upstairs to box for a little while (ususally I'll hit the bag for a good 20 mins, and im done) Well as im putting the wraps on my fists, some HUGE guy comes in, like 6'4, 250, just built like a tank. He puts his gloves on, and stars wailing at the bag. (two bags in the room) Anyhow, he was giving me a few pointers n stuff, and at the end said "I woulda never stayed in here for 40 minutes like I did if you werent in here" cuz it just keeps going back n forth. You FEED off the other person. I felt the same way. Trust me, my fists are all cut up right now to prove it.

Did you try to hit the bag harder than him? It's all about competition. I think that's why a lot of people like going together.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
Did you try to hit the bag harder than him? It's all about competition. I think that's why a lot of people like going together.

Here is my problem...the guy i go with is WAY bigger then me. There is NO fawking way i could even come remotely close to lift what he does. There is NO COMPETITION....I suck :nonono:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
wals9331 said:
Here is my problem...the guy i go with is WAY bigger then me. There is NO fawking way i could even come remotely close to lift what he does. There is NO COMPETITION....I suck :nonono:

Easy solution. Just be cooler than him. Get laid more, and make sure he knows it.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
step 1) win hot woman over with your charm
step 2) make sure she is a health and workout nut
step 3) make sure the poon is good enough to go running to her house at 630 in the morning (3mi)
step 4) make sure she berates you for having pot belly
step 5) ???
step 6) profit

Users who are viewing this thread