Work Phone

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Who here has a phone provided by their place of business? I’ve been considering dropping my personal plan and just using my work phone as it’s already paid for. I’m an accountant so my work calls would be very limited.
Concerns:
Text tracking - Can be politically incorrect.
Web browsing - can be politically incorrect.
Carrying two phones is a pita, I’m not Kevin Gates.

Thoughts and experience?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I would NOT use a work phone for personal business. you are asking for trouble. if they do an audit and find a ton of personal calls on it you could be looking for a new job. Check with HR and find out if they have a policy on it. you might find they don't give a shit about it. personally I would keep them separate

Stanger00

Established Member
Not worth it, IMO. I don’t even have a work phone. I don’t even look at personal websites on my company laptop. The only thing they would find are google searches for IBM Maximo errors, excel training and MySQL training. My personal phone though! I really need an app to keep my cursor moving around while I drift off for more than 5 minutes, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Personally i would not drop your personal phone. I have a work phone and technically they could see anything and everything you do. Which may or may not be a problem. But doing personal things on your work phone could get you fired.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Two lines on the same phone? They used do this...

Only if its on your personal phone. Not sure you want to do that on work phone

doable and easy. all you need is a dual sim phone. one sim is your personal on and the other sim is the work one. it works very well. I used it when I was in afghanistan and Iraq one was my stateside phone and the other was my afghan/iraq number.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
doable and easy. all you need is a dual sim phone. one sim is your personal on and the other sim is the work one. it works very well. I used it when I was in afghanistan and Iraq one was my stateside phone and the other was my afghan/iraq number.

Good to know.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Always separate. I carry three phones, and an iPad that can take calls

And I will always have a personal phone. For the simple fact of if I want to separate myself from work while at a bar or out somewhere I leave the work phones in the truck

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Ive had a work phone since 2011 and never carry it with me unless Im on a business trip. Not worth giving up your personal one IMO.

_Snake_

Established Member
You have legitimate privacy concerns OP. Is your income and career worth the risk for the price/inconvenience of keeping the other phone?

I had a similar choice to make and kept two phones for the 7 years I had that job.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I run our MDM program for my government agency and I have the option for a work phone. I find it easier just to enroll my own phone in our MDM and carry one device. Only my work email is subject to open records, not my texts/photos/personal stuff.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Seems as though the general concensus is to keep two phones. I had that thought in the back of my head but also like to save a nickel where I can. But it seems like it’s not worth it from a privacy standpoint and possible outcome of using the work phone only.
However I would like to look into this dual SIM card option @RDJ mentioned. Or maybe there is a way to auto forward texts to my personal phone.

jrandy

Established Member
Who here has a phone provided by their place of business? I’ve been considering dropping my personal plan and just using my work phone as it’s already paid for. I’m an accountant so my work calls would be very limited.
Concerns:
Text tracking - Can be politically incorrect.
Web browsing - can be politically incorrect.
Carrying two phones is a pita, I’m not Kevin Gates.

Thoughts and experience?

Might be a long shot, but see if they will let you port your work phone number to an app. There are plenty of providers that allow you to have a second number on your phone and both numbers will use your carrier network.

Otherwise, as RDJ said, the new iPhones are dual sim devices.

Users who are viewing this thread