Wooosh!!! | Bronco Raptor Gets a TurboSmart Blow-Off Valve

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Wooosh!!! | Bronco Raptor Gets a TurboSmart Blow-Off Valve

BRaptor_TurboSmart_015.jpg

I've owned a handful of EcoBoost vehicles over the years. While they all had the benefits that come with high compression and boost, they also have the exhaust note you'd expect from a small displacement non-V8. Among performance enthusiasts, the sound is nearly universally derided. Ford has major strides in EcoBoost exhaust tone quality with the Gen 3 Raptor and BRaptor, but there's still a lot to be desired. In a search for a better driving experience you can play around with aftermarket exhaust systems, but I've always preferred to just increase the natural turbo noises.

Just listen to that twin-turbo symphony.

That's why every EcoBoost powered Ford I have ever own has been equipped with a TurboSmart Blow-Off Valve. They are an extremely high quality piece constructed of billet aluminum and stainless steel. The install is super simple on the BRaptor because Ford placed the factory BOV in a very easy to reach location. It's easier to install this TurboSmart unit on a BRaptor than it is to change its oil.

BRaptor_TurboSmart_011.jpg

Well this factory POS needs to go.

BRaptor_TurboSmart_012.jpg

This will be much better.

The end result is that classic turbo wooooosh noise we've all come to know and love. The TurboSmart unit can be clocked to point the exhaust port in your desired direction. This will allow you to tune the sound you hear from the BOV to some extent. Want it a little louder, turn it towards the driver. Want to terrorize pedestrians, point it towards the grill. You have options.

This is another BRaptor install that I'm extremely happy with. When combined with the added boost provided by the JB4 module we added at 5 Star Tuning, the TurboSmart BOV has resulted in a much more engaging driving experience in the BRaptor. I'll keep added these to EcoBoost engines. The results literally speak for themselves.

BRaptor_TurboSmart_017.jpg

Much Improved.

BRaptor_TurboSmart_018.jpg

With the exhaust port pointed toward the front it should sound just the way I like it.

-SID297

Last edited:

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Looks great @SID297. Nice, easy to access location! Unlike my 2020 ExST, which is buried under the filter box. I should have installed one of these when I put in the new CAI.

On 2021+ ExST, this is gone. Interesting it's still on the BRaptor 3.0. Maybe something to do with the different turbos or anti-lag programming?

@03cobra#694 They are roughly $210 for the ExST, which uses the same one as the Rangers. Not sure if the Bronco ones are different, but I'm sure the price is very similar.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
How is the factory piece venting excess boost if not to atmosphere? Does it just divert in into the intake tract, pre-turbo?

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
They are a really nice piece. I have been running one on my Ranger for a few years now, it’s a daily and through all the NE weather the BOV still looks brand new. I drop some gun oil into the piston once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Awesome! Can't wait to install one on our Braptor next week. Great job on the install and write-up.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Goes from the original recirculated bypass valve to a vent to atmosphere blow off valve.

I bought one to replace the OE unit and DV+ piece on my Fiesta ST. Cant wait to install and do a few video runs of it.

Now im thinking ill check one out for my F150 2.7 when i do the intercooler install.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Goes from the original recirculated bypass valve to a vent to atmosphere blow off valve.

I bought one to replace the OE unit and DV+ piece on my Fiesta ST. Cant wait to install and do a few video runs of it.

Now im thinking ill check one out for my F150 2.7 when i do the intercooler install.

It adds a little more enjoyment to the driving experience. I liken it to changing exhaust.

patc84

Established Member
i threw some bov adapters on the 3.5 when i got the explorer. just audible enhancement.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
i threw some bov adapters on the 3.5 when i got the explorer. just audible enhancement.
I did to the Fiesta but got sick of it after a few hundred miles. The DV+ changed the tone back to a recirculate valve but i still heard a faint amount through the ST200 airbox with the extra intake nozzle.

The spacers just make way too much noise. Hoping the truck isnt as bad with the Turbosmart valve.

patc84

Established Member
^ its actually not too bad, or obnoxious.

one of them is basically covered under the engine cover and the other is near the firewall.

we make them for the amg cars, and the placement on those makes them a bit too much at times.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's pretty cool. Great job with the video, Sid. The cool audio sound bite reminds me of the simple joy I used to get from my Gatorback blower belt back in the day. Loved it so much I'd even turn the radio off. That would apply to this cool BOV as well.

Users who are viewing this thread