wont honor SVT warranty

forcefedcobra

Established Member
After my car was sitting at my local non svt dealer for 3 days without ever being looked at (after I made an appointment to begin with) I started to get mad. I asked them about my free loaner/rental car that is included with the SVT warranty and they told me that since they are not an SVT dealer they dont have to do that.

When they had to replace the blower and other stuff on my lightning they darn sure gave me a rental on their dime.

Are they just blowing smoke or is that true?

SVT4ME

Established Member
I would call SVT up directly and get there take. I would think they would need to honor it!

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Why would you take your SVT Cobra to a non SVT dealer anyway? :shrug: An actual SVT dealer has "certified SVT technitions" who are supposed to be the only techs allowed to work on your car. Tell the dealer to forget it and take your car to an SVT dealer. :)

forcefedcobra

Established Member
They are certified to sell the SVT focus. That is where I bought my SVT focus and I know for a fact that the warranty info for it includes the free loaner car so just by that fact they are filling me full of $hit.

I take it there because the nearest SVT dealer is no closer than 90 minutes away. I live in Enid and the only SVT dealers are in Edmond, Norman (both Oklahoma City area) and Tulsa.

I dont have time to make trips all the way there and then back. I took my 98 cobra, 01 lightning, and 04 svt focus to this dealer with no problems in the past. The even did warranty work on my 98 cobra and it had a vortech supercharger and tons of other stuff on it.

I will be making a call to SVT tomorrow.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
svtfocus2k4 said:
They are certified to sell the SVT focus. That is where I bought my SVT focus and I know for a fact that the warranty info for it includes the free loaner car so just by that fact they are filling me full of $hit.

Save yourself the phone call. They do not have to give you a free rental. Even an SVT dealer is not REQUIRED too. I believe it even states in your owner's manual that it is available at PARTICIPATING dealers. If your dealer chooses not to participate, you will need to find another dealer. After all, the dealer gets something like $25 a day from SVT...with the rest coming out of their pocket. They can choose not to take that hit.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
10thAnnvCobra said:
Why would you take your SVT Cobra to a non SVT dealer anyway? :shrug: An actual SVT dealer has "certified SVT technitions" who are supposed to be the only techs allowed to work on your car. Tell the dealer to forget it and take your car to an SVT dealer. :)
Some don't or can't go to an SVT dealer because of distance. And, believe it or not, it is possible to have a non-SVT dealer provide better overall service than an SVT dealer. But I agree that the first choice should be an SVT dealer with certified SVT techs assuming that that dealer will provide the service you expect. JMO.

mtb01

Established Member
I recieved a Loaner car for a Week while my car was being worked on just last week. The dealer ship wasn't SVT certified either. As soon as I asked about the loaner the manager said no prob.

miniSHO

Established Member
Its amazing how many dealerships can be hit or miss on their service policys. We shouldn't even have to worry about little things like rentals----if the SVT warranty states a rental then we should get one without question. I blame Ford----why cant they regulate these sub-par dealerships better? There is a major disconnect somewhere and it's the consumer that takes the hit.

Don't even get me started on bad dealer experiences. I have tried all the service depts in my area and have not had a satisifying experience. It's a shame for Ford Motor Corp. as a whole.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Well since they were certified to sell the SVT focus (from what I have heard this is a step toward being fully certified to sell SVT's) then they should stand behind the warranty of the car they sold me and to include any other Ford vehicles I have purchased. If they are really wanting to be a full service SVT dealer then they are not going to want to find out that a person who purchased a BRAND NEW SVT focus from them is being treated badly and is contacting SVT about it. I would think that would kind of put a damper on being fully SVT certified.

The bad thing is I had never had a problem with this in the past. Hell when they replaced the entire blower on my lightning because they couldnt figure out why the blower belt kept jumping off they never said two things to me and had a loaner ready for me when I got there. (that was with a different rep).

Even the extended warranty I purchased for the cobra includes up to 5 days reimbursement for a rental car

miniSHO

Established Member
svtfocus2k4 said:
Well since they were certified to sell the SVT focus (from what I have heard this is a step toward being fully certified to sell SVT's) then they should stand behind the warranty of the car they sold me and to include any other Ford vehicles I have purchased. If they are really wanting to be a full service SVT dealer then they are not going to want to find out that a person who purchased a BRAND NEW SVT focus from them is being treated badly and is contacting SVT about it. I would think that would kind of put a damper on being fully SVT certified.

The bad thing is I had never had a problem with this in the past. Hell when they replaced the entire blower on my lightning because they couldnt figure out why the blower belt kept jumping off they never said two things to me and had a loaner ready for me when I got there. (that was with a different rep).

Even the extended warranty I purchased for the cobra includes up to 5 days reimbursement for a rental car

The truth is they probably don't really care if you call SVT or Ford about it. I wrote a 3 page letter to the owner of the dealership about how his service department screwed me around for a week and didn't do a thing to my car. (At least I had their rental) I haven't heard back from him since.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
skunkt-u said:
They should give you free rental if they are a SVT dealer. But if they arent then you are on your own.
Exactly! If they gave you one before it was out of the kindness of their heart. Non-SVT dealers do not have to honor the loaner car agreement.

BlackSabbath

Established Member
svtfocus2k4 said:
...I took my 98 cobra, 01 lightning, and 04 svt focus to this dealer with no problems in the past. The even did warranty work on my 98 cobra and it had a vortech supercharger and tons of other stuff on it.

This is very surprising given your history with the dealer. Is the same service manager there or maybe it's under new mgmt?

forcefedcobra

Established Member
The service rep is a guy I know fairly well. He used to be under another guy who I knew even better. Now that guy is gone so this guy moved up the ladder.

I just talked to SVT and they informed me that the dealer is stupid to not give you a loaner because SVT pays them back for it. Correct they dont have to honor it but the SVT rep said that usually only happens at very small dealers that dont have access to a loaner or rental cars. I think he was just feeding me full of crap.

I will send in the little card that they include with the service that asks how my service was and if nothing comes from that and I have problems when I take the car back to finally get the front end pop fixed then I will talk to the service manager.

inteller

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
PARTICIPATING dealers.

PARTICIPATING dealers = SVT dealers.

If a dealer can sell an SVT product, they are required to honor the SVT premium service that they are selling with that product. No ifs ands ors or buts.

In the case of an SVT Focus only dealer, they might not have to honor the warranty of Cobras or Lightnings.

ANother thing to consider is they may only have to honor the SVT premium service part of the warranty to the original owner...not sure on that one.

If you want to get them sweating....ask them if they plan to sell the Shelby GT500. If they say yes, tell them they won't be after you call SVT.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
What up Heath. I already asked them in the past and they werent planning on getting a new cobra but the guy also said it was a lottery if you arent a fully certified SVT dealer.

Joe and I are going to do some work on my car this weekend so we might check a few things and see what we can find before I end up having to buy a stock intake from Graycen and then take it back to the dealer.

I really dont want to go through the hastle of dealing with them anymore after this last go round. SVT assures me that the puffing smoke isnt a problem unless it is smoking all the time so I will just drive the SOB until it blows up and then I will just put a fully built motor in it and toss a KB or whipple on it and really have fun. LOL!

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
i got a free loaner car for just getting my computer flashed at a non svt dealer ship and it took all of 3 hrs for them to do they were a svt dealer last year but not this year

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
inteller said:
PARTICIPATING dealers = SVT dealers.

If a dealer can sell an SVT product, they are required to honor the SVT premium service that they are selling with that product. No ifs ands ors or buts.

Wrong.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I thought SVT dealerships were required to give you a rental :shrug: . My problem was my age....the first dealership looked the other way since they had their own loaner program. The second dealership went through a rental car company....they wouldn't give me a rental since I was only 20 and the dealership had nothing to give me so I was outta luck. They did provide me with a ride home and picked me up to bring me back to the dealership...

Users who are viewing this thread