Won't go into Reverse after Clutch/Input Shaft/Shifter Install!!!

stangaholic280

Established Member
Just finished installing a Spec Super Street Twin Disk Kit. Flywheel, clutch, new TOB. Lethal TOB sleeve. MGW shifter. Liberty 26 spline input shaft.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly. I thought it was going to be a good install, but when it was all said and done, the car won't go into reverse, period. It's like the gear doesn't exist.

On top of that, the pedal is like legpressing 900 pounds and the tranny now chirps... FML. :bored::bored::bored:

Any ideas? Do I just need to tear it all out and try again? Or pay someone lol. The reverse thing throws me...what are the chances I jacked up the gears while swapping the input shaft?

Thanks in advance!

cobracide

Established Member
Reverse is very sensitive to tranny issues. Let me ask you this: what brand firewall adjuster did you get and what clutch cable. That pedal effort is weird, My McLeod twin is effortless.

Last edited:

stangaholic280

Established Member
Reverse is very sensitive to tranny issues. Let me ask you this: what brand firewall adjuster did you get and what clutch cable. That pedal effort is weird, My McLeod twin is effortless.

Firewall adjuster was already installed. Looks like a Fiore micro click. clutch cable looks stock, 52k miles. Maybe time for a new cable...but not sure if that's whats wrong with Reverse.

I just read something about a reverse lockout switch...maybe I'll try to find that for starters. :shrug:

stangaholic280

Established Member
Reverse gear lockout solenoid electrical connector on the left side of the shifter tower.

You think it's blown or what? Is there a way to test it? I'll break it open in the morning...I know i reconnected it for sure, but I guess it could've gone out during installation.

It definitely feels like I am "locked out" of reverse though so we will see. I assume this is a replacement only situation...no quick fixes?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Ehh, I always leave my clutch installs for shops to do...However, I commend you on trying it with your wife. I hope it all works out...
Free bump for ya

stangaholic280

Established Member
Ehh, I always leave my clutch installs for shops to do...However, I commend you on trying it with your wife. I hope it all works out...
Free bump for ya

Yeah I paid to have my last one done. I thought I was big boy enough to do this one myself lol....it seems so simple on paper. Oh well, I tend to learn lessons the hard way. :(

stangaholic280

Established Member
Got it working. Looks like the lockout solenoid wasn't plugged in all the way, it just looked to be. After pressing it in until it clicked she went right into reverse. Attention to detail! :)

Users who are viewing this thread