Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

7upstang

Established Member
As we all know, when you drive a mustang everyone tries to pick a race with you.

Last night on my way home after a night out with friends, I was riding home with the windows down listening to music enjoying the cool weather. Sitting at light all by myself, I see a single headlight approaching quickly from behind. Thankfully, I'm on a 3 lane road with almost zero traffic, a couple cars went the other way. This stretch of road has one stop light and one long sweeping corner at some point, for the most part wide open. And I mean wide open, so clear cops don't have a place to even hide.

Sport bike pulls up next to me while looking over at my car. My mind quickly starts jumping to what I need to need to do, obviously ANY street bike wants to race on a wide open highway, they practically beg for it. Most bikers think they are unbeatable, mustangs are easy kills. Quickly my mind goes to work, "He didn't pull up far enough to see the intercooler." "Okay, I need to take it easy taking off, I don't stand a chance from a dig." "He keeps looking over, don't make eye contact." "I really need to make it around this corner and get into 5th gear." I never fully looked over to find out what bike it was, didn't want to give him any attention.

Finally, the light turns green. We are the only people around in either direction, so I take off slowly. First, second, third and finally fourth, carefully not to accidentally set the BOV off. At this point we are probably a 1/4 mile away from the sweeping turn. Thinking to myself, "why hasn't the bike taken off around this corner yet." "Okay, either I take my shot now, or I have to get around the corner into 5th gear and go."

At this point we are around 50mph, he has moved to the far left lane, I'm far right. I feel more comfortable in case I spin.
I have to be careful as to how I go about this. He is hanging at my door in what it seems like is 2nd gear. He is pacing me, begging me to take the hit because I'm an easy kill, this will be an ego booster for him, 'Silly mustangs'.

Welp, I nail in 4th, yep 4th at 50. I have to purposely get myself out of my power band to bring in the boost. Take off, I hear him hit it, still behind me. Full boost by 60ish, spun a little bit, get out of the throttle and back in, spun again around 80, but still out in front. Back in the throttle again, finally pulling comfortably ahead. Shut it down around 120, hit the brakes and took the corner at around 80. Think I hurt his feelings a little bit, because he took the corner and kept going. I hoped he would have slowed down for a second race given the fact we now had a much longer straight away. Oh well.

Just because I look like an easy kill with my quiet exhaust, doesn't mean I am. He picked on the wrong sheep tonight. Wish I knew what size he is. My guess would have been a 600 or 750. 1000 bikes keep up fairly well if I don't spin.

Car:
2011 M6 Coyote
MPR Built Motor
Hellion Twins
730rwhp

Joewee500

Established Member
Nice kill, but unless that bike was a 1200 it had no chance on your power level.

If the sig is correct, 730whp stick won't run off from a liter bike starting in the wrong gear. Probably a 600. How in the world are you breaking traction in 4th, bald street tired or damp rd?

evolve

Established Member
If the sig is correct, 730whp stick won't run off from a liter bike starting in the wrong gear. Probably a 600. How in the world are you breaking traction in 4th, bald street tired or damp rd?

This. I ran one (ZX-10r) and from the wrong gear he led me down the highway.

Either way, good kill OP!

Last edited:

7upstang

Established Member
Kinda what I was thinking as well. Twin 55mm billet turbo, 3.73 gears and Nitto 555 for daily action aren't always the best combination. Drag radials were at home in the garage. These turbos are a double edged sword sometimes, not a whole lot of lag in the right rpm range.

This. I ran one (ZX-10r) and from the wrong gear he led me down the highway.

Either way, good kill OP!
Thank you! Either way, running a bike is always fun. How bad did you get beat? Can't imagine it was by much.

evolve

Established Member
Kinda what I was thinking as well. Twin 55mm billet turbo, 3.73 gears and Nitto 555 for daily action aren't always the best combination. Drag radials were at home in the garage. These turbos are a double edged sword sometimes, not a whole lot of lag in the right rpm range.

Thank you! Either way, running a bike is always fun. How bad did you get beat? Can't imagine it was by much.

I was in 3rd and shoulda been in 2nd. He was a good distance until I hit 5k rpm. His pull slowed but he still had me by a few cars lol.

adrian3019

Established Member
Beating liter bikes with only 730whp is pretty tough, usually means you beat the rider not the bike, but it's still fun.

evolve

Established Member
Beating liter bikes with only 730whp is pretty tough, usually means you beat the rider not the bike, but it's still fun.
Completely agree. Before headers on 93 (615rwhp) I was destroyed by 1k bikes. Now its a toss up. The new 1k bikes can trap over 150mph...

7upstang

Established Member
More than likely beat the rider. I've heard it's tough for them to start in 1st gear due to wheelies. Which is where I can put a quick car on them, but anything over 100mph normally results in a steady race, but fun either way.

MineralCobra

Established Member

I agree, starting in wrong gear throws a whole mokey wrench in the equation, assuming the op was at his sweet spot it would give a good run. Then again it all depends on the rider.

Users who are viewing this thread