Witness to accident question for LEOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Several months ago, I had witnessed a strange accident involving a single car on the freeway. Traffic was extremely light this particular day and weather was perfect. It was at about 11:30am. We were traveling Northbound on the 605 approaching the 7th street transition.

There was a 93 Toyota Camry about 2 car lengths ahead of me. We were traveling approx. 65mph. The Camry was occupied 2 times. There were no cars around us at this particular time. I observed the Camry start to sway back and forth very slightly and didn't think much of it because it seemed to be in a very controlled manner. The sway then become progressively more pronounced at which time I see the passenger lean over to the driver, but could not tell what he was doing. About 10 seconds after the initial swaying started, it was now to the point of them crossing back and forth over the lines. It is a this point that I told myself there is no way that Camry can handle that at this speed. The back end started coming out to the left. The driver over-corrected and the back end swung violently to the right. The driver over-corrected one last time and the back end swung to the left. It is at this point the driver lost control and the car veered off to the right of the freeway, down an embankment and flipping over and hitting a tree at about 50mph.

I was scared to even go help them because of what I might see. I thought for sure someone flew out of the car. By the time I stopped and went back to help them, they were both out of the car. I could not believe how fast they got out of the car considering how it ended up on it's roof. I'm thinking they were flown out (no seatbelts) but it was probably a soft landing in the bushes.

So anyways, I give the attending Officer my information and what I saw. Several weeks later I get a letter in the mail from apparently the car owner's attorney asking for a statement of what happen. I told them either mechanical failure or foul play because there were no obstructions on the freeway.

I'm curious as to why a lawyer would be involved? Are they trying to sue someone? There were no other cars involved. For the life of me, I could not figure out why they would retain a lawyer for this unless the car was just repaired and had mechanical failure?? :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
These are NOT the types of questions this forum is set up for! You are asking for suppposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread