winterizing 03 cobra with e85

westray

0563 SVT
Established Member
hey guys need a little help with winterizing my cobra with e85. I have researched the topic and have so many mixed reviews im not real sure what to do.

As of right now my car has a full tank of e85 has full return style fuel system on it and sump also. I will have to store the car for about 5 months in my heated garage. My question is what do I need to do to winterize the e85 for the winter? Do I need to empty the tank, stabilizer, or what?

Thanks in advance for the help

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
If the tank system is fully sealed like modern cars I would not worry about the storability of E85.

westray

0563 SVT
Established Member
So your saying I should be fine for the winter storage month as it sits.

Sorry this mine first car with e85 so new at the game. Trying to learn

gt347mustang

Established Member
If you want to be safe, drain the tank and stick some pump gas in there if your tune allows.

Otherwise, i herd something about somebody making a stabilizer for e85 these days.

Personally, I've left my tank full of e85 for a few months. I just try and leave it as full as possible when storing it. I guess the ethanol pulls moisture out of the air, so I try and occupy the tank with fuel, instead of air. Make sense?

westray

0563 SVT
Established Member
If you want to be safe, drain the tank and stick some pump gas in there if your tune allows.

Otherwise, i herd something about somebody making a stabilizer for e85 these days.

Personally, I've left my tank full of e85 for a few months. I just try and leave it as full as possible when storing it. I guess the ethanol pulls moisture out of the air, so I try and occupy the tank with fuel, instead of air. Make sense?

That was my thinking as well from what I have read. I cant put any other gas in because of,the tune. I figure less air means less water can get in.

I have read that people use stabilizer for boats because of the extra additives it has. I might try and find some but im not real sure about it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I seen STABIL just came out with a product for ethanol.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
I seen STABIL just came out with a product for ethanol.

Yea I just bought some. "Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment." I haven't used it yet, but I had planned on the Lucas brand stuff for E85, but got this instead.
My tuner recommended only a quarter tank and some form of E85 stabilizer if you can't drain it. He said that if there is less E85 in the tank, then it will attract less moisture. I was assuming fill it full, but that's what he said.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yea I just bought some. "Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment." I haven't used it yet, but I had planned on the Lucas brand stuff for E85, but got this instead.
My tuner recommended only a quarter tank and some form of E85 stabilizer if you can't drain it. He said that if there is less E85 in the tank, then it will attract less moisture. I was assuming fill it full, but that's what he said.

Interesting. Yeah I always fill my tank up and add 5oz of stabil. But I'm running pump gas. I assumed the same thing for e85.:??:

westray

0563 SVT
Established Member
Well i was going to get the Lucas brand for E85. I can drain my tank but i really dont want to drain a full tank and store E85 all winter you know.

I think im going to order the Lucas stuff and Treat the whole tank of E85.

Users who are viewing this thread