Winter

azgardia

Wanderer
Established Member
Question that goes out to all the folks living in the North being abused by Mr. Winter.
Currently, using the car that you can see to the left. Its great and all, but ill be doing a pretty long commute on a regular basis(around 100 miles). So been looking at grabbing a second vehicle. What has been really bothering me though is the option of either 4wd or AWD. Which is really more suitable and would work better in snow/ice situations. As reference, live in the upper state New York area, where we get the wonderful jetstream to blow everything right over us.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
i am in the same boat man
the stang is my "beater" for now till i can find a jeep or something to the effect of an exploder

nj7703

Established Member
It's funny, cause i just got in a stupid argument over this very thing with someone recently. AWD usually uses a computer to send traction to the wheels that need it. 4WD is constantly on, and as far as i can tell probably a better bet. I'm not saying that an AWD system in lets say an Audi will let you down, but sometimes having that 4wd traction always on will get you thru things a bit easier, i dunno. I will say this, AWD, or 4WD is not going to help you stop in ice. Once you have ice on the ground all bets are off. AWD or 4WD will help you get moving, but stopping is a different issue. I am thinking of getting an old Jeep, or Bronco for the snow, my car now with FWD and snow tires is fine but, in heavy snow, you need a truck, simple as that.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by azgardia
Question that goes out to all the folks living in the North being abused by Mr. Winter.
Currently, using the car that you can see to the left. Its great and all, but ill be doing a pretty long commute on a regular basis(around 100 miles). So been looking at grabbing a second vehicle. What has been really bothering me though is the option of either 4wd or AWD. Which is really more suitable and would work better in snow/ice situations. As reference, live in the upper state New York area, where we get the wonderful jetstream to blow everything right over us.

That is why I moved to Florida:D

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Bronco II, we get a fair amount of snow and ice and mine will go to hell and back when its froze over. My grandma has a mid 80's grand wagoneer (the little one, like a cherokee) and the II will outgo that little thing. Put some explorer springs on it, and some aggressive tires and it will do anything you want, and they are cheap too.

99whtsnke

Established Member
luckily i dont have to do much driving in the winter, but my buddies just buy a beater for like 5k ish, just get a car w/ front wheel drive at least. I've never driven an awd in the snow but i used to have a jeep cherokee and that puppy was the king of driving in the snow, unbelievable.

Good luck

jeffs04??

SHIFT_
Established Member
well we got a montero sport thats AWD, it also has 4wheel high and low settings. you can pick with one you want for the road conditions. personally i would rather have a 4WD truck over a AWD SUV but its all in your preference and what you'd like to spend.

LandShark

Established Member
AWD inhales deeply. It only sends power to another wheel if the current one being driven starts to spin. That will be too late on a hill in the snow. You need 4WD so that all wheels are pulling somewhat. The f150 4WD is 40% on the front, 60% on the rear to keep you from spinning on a hill.

just my .02

LS

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Where in Upstate NY? Is the plowing system really good? I would say look for like a '96 Legacy or a very rare '65 Mustang AWD mule (yep, Ford tested out an AWD system in the Mustang 40 years ago).

azgardia

Wanderer
Established Member
I live near the Amsterdam area about 40 miles west of Albany, plowing varies as I live in the country, and on a backroad actually.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Originally posted by azgardia
I live near the Amsterdam area about 40 miles west of Albany, plowing varies as I live in the country, and on a backroad actually.

Exploder or F-150.

4camV8

Established Member
i think 4wd is superior, but awd is not likely to leave you stranded in average winter driving. however, if you get stuck with awd, you have no other options. if you get stuck in 4x4, you can always go to low range. my winter rig, unstoppable in the snow:

PDR_0372.JPG

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Originally posted by 4camV8
i think 4wd is superior, but awd is not likely to leave you stranded in average winter driving. however, if you get stuck with awd, you have no other options. if you get stuck in 4x4, you can always go to low range. my winter rig, unstoppable in the snow:

PDR_0372.JPG
Jeeps are like tampons, only women need them:p

Users who are viewing this thread