Winter Upgrades have begun and some to figure out

rzimmerl

Established Member
Small update, front end completely torn down, wheel wells and rims detailed. In process of painting spindles, calipers, etc while I can. Opted to just order replacement Moog control arms and install the X2 ball joints in them. Using all energy suspension for coil isolators and sway bars as did not like the stiffer durometer of prothane. Installed new head lights, turn signals, and envoy fog lights to be installed while I was in process of waiting for paint to dry. Getting the front end back together, then will attack the rear. Planning to remove the axle to POR it and possibly swap gears while its out. Ordered stock replacement upper arms, axle bushings, and got a set of MM Heavy duty lowers. Hopefully have it back on all 4 wheels next month then begin the interior detail and exterior paint correction as I have not fully detailed it since I purchased it.

OHWZ3276.JPG VTKS7511.JPG

Last edited:

Balt21

Established Member
You will be happy with all of the suspension mods, I don't even have as much done as you have do and it made a huge difference in the car.

What headlights did you end up getting? I'm wanting to get a set to do an HID retrofit with.

rzimmerl

Established Member
They are Dorman from Rock Auto were $30 something per light.

I can't wait to get it done and cruise this year. Planning for the Ohio Triple Nickel this summer with some buddies, and maybe Tail of Dragon and Devils Triangle this year.

Balt21

Established Member
Wow, that's not bad at all. I'll have to check them out.

Nice, I am the same way. Mine has been in storage since October and I can't wait to drive it again. Those sound like some fun trips.

rzimmerl

Established Member
Got the front end all wrapped up except have to order the sway bar links once I get the car on the ground to determine the length needed. I did install the X2 spring spacers with the ball joints, interested to see how far its actually lowered. Gonna be few weeks on the rear as happened to slip the wrench Sunday on caliper bracket bolt and got 8 stitches in my hand from the brake shield........
IMG_3641.JPG IMG_3644.JPG

rzimmerl

Established Member
Well hand is back to semi normal and did few things while it was healing.
- Did the Envoy fog light swap but didn't like the option of the stock bracket pushing them further out the bumper so I designed some bolt in adapter plates and had buddy cut them on his cnc plasma. He is willing to cut more and powder coat if there is an interest. Overall I like the look much better and have not used and fancy bulbs. Just Sylvania silver star ultra headlights and replacement fog bulbs.
-Entire rear end is out and in process of POR 15 the axle and detailing all the other parts. For 23 year old car from MI/OH not to much to be worried about rust wise other then the flowmasters. Hoping to have all back together in next 3 weeks, then head to buddies shop to weld in the MM subframe connectors, BMR lower torque box reinforcements, new tires, alignment, and dyno tune.

Can't wait for the salt to be gone off the roads and see how this is gonna handle compared to all the stock worn out components. In which may attend the Corvette Bash in April with a buddy just to get the Cobra out on the NCM road course for some fun.

Attachments

• IMG_3669.JPG
    IMG_3669.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3682.JPG
    IMG_3682.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3785.JPG
    IMG_3785.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 83

rzimmerl

Established Member
About to wrap up the upgrades/refresh this week, last step to bleed the brakes then off to the shop for tires, alignment, and subframes. Rear finished out nicely after painting the axle, and repainting the wheel well undercoating black as after cleaning it was a nasty tan/yellow. Interested to see how low it actually sits with the HR SS springs and the poly isos.

rear.jpg

rzimmerl

Established Member
Project complete for this year I think as of now. Spent Friday and Saturday in buddies shop welding in the MM XL subframe connectors, welding in BMR torque box reinforcements, new Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires, alignment, new 2.5" mandrel bent cat back exhaust, and completed the dyno tune. Made 272 hp on a Mustang Dyno with only mods being a KN filter, IMRC delete, catted X and full exhaust. Very pleased with how the car rides and handles after all the winter work. Now for a full polish and detail ready summer cruising.

Users who are viewing this thread